Recommendation for Small Camp Sound System.

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
griffen

Post by griffen » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 pm

I have
1) PowerBright 1100 Watt 12 Volt Power Inverter
2) Two Huge Deep Cell Costco batteries and a couple back-ups (reconditioned rather well I might say).

I run 5-10 strings of LED lights with tiny power draw and a fan sometimes.
Last year I only ended up using one battery and with my small solar panel the battery never got below ¾. SO I had 2 small back up batteries and 1 ¾ deep cells in reserve. And I can always plug into a camp Generator which we try not to run.

I’m thinking of running an Ion Block Rocker $170. It has a battery but with my power I kinda don’t need it and would rather skip it and get better/ more speaker. Can I get a recommendation on a general bassy amp and speaker to run?

Last year neighbors played crap and I want to avoid being subjugated to others music choices. Idea is we throw an Ipad or mp3 player on it and get a decent sound for 30 feet to fight off frat boy music choices. I don’t care that Ion is mono… it’s more about any sound and thumpy than audiophile. Would my Inverter be able to handle much more? I searched like 5 terms on this board to read old threads and didn't do well. So term suggestions are helpful too.

Thanks
See ya on the playa,
War & Love
Griffen Agrippa

Packoderm

Post by Packoderm » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:52 pm

What about a killer car stereo system hooked up directly to your batteries and some big speakers?

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:29 pm

I use a 10w boom box to amp off a disc player.. This year will be and Ipod feed.. Good enough to make the drunk tekno guy across the street come over and complain.. Life is so easy..

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:41 pm

unjonharley wrote:I use a 10w boom box to amp off a disc player.. This year will be and Ipod feed.. Good enough to make the drunk tekno guy across the street come over and complain.. Life is so easy..
snort.... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:54 pm

ibdave wrote:
unjonharley wrote:I use a 10w boom box to amp off a disc player.. This year will be and Ipod feed.. Good enough to make the drunk tekno guy across the street come over and complain.. Life is so easy..
snort.... 8) 8) 8)
When I visited, you had turned the music towards the neighbors ("here's what happens when they complain") I love show tunes! "hi lily, hi lily, hi lo!"

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Elorrum wrote:
ibdave wrote:
snort.... 8) 8) 8)
When I visited, you had turned the music towards the neighbors ("here's what happens when they complain") I love show tunes! "hi lily, hi lily, hi lo!"
I am a bit of an ass

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:28 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Elorrum wrote:
ibdave wrote: snort.... 8) 8) 8)
I am a bit of an ass
compared to the onslaught they offered, I think they got off lightly and with good taste. wish sound wars ended well, but they rarely do. Wouldn't it be nice if they thanked you for the variety, and then asked you if you thought they were playing too loudly?

Elorrum

Post by Elorrum » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 pm

o.k. re: the original question. I use a 15W t-amp, from a kit. Sure makes them, Dayton makes them, parts express sells them. 4ohm two way coaxial car speakers built into old drive in speaker cases, passive subwoofer crossover, and small subwoofer.

great near field, volume won't blow you away, but louder than conversation if you like it that loud. ran off a 9ah 12V battery the whole week, but I didn't have it on loud or all the time, or all the time loud. I just would have it nearby, and later put it in my bike basket. and would play it from my bike parked in the shade shelter. If my neighbors really bother me with music, I put on headphones, or go for a ride. sound wars have never gone well for me. Happily, this year the neighbors with the loud stereo played music I liked. could happen.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:24 am

Marine car stereo.
Efficient speakers, polk, etc.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:12 am

This year I'm mounting four (mono) Pa (4inch horn) speakers on a post.. At ground level there dampered by the surrondings.. Music from the 40s-50s was all mono..

Become very depressed looking up old tunes yesterday.. I started noticeing popurlar music in about 1945..

(( The winter of 44-45 I live in an orphonage of all girl..Cept me.. Leared how soft teen girls were.. We slept in the upstairs of a big farm house.. My cot was in a corner of the dorm.. The girls slept in double beds.. I learned to whine about being cold.. They would let me in between them..))ANYWAY..

The heat for this room came from a register in the middle of the floor over the living room below.. The adults would listen to the radio after we went to bed.. We would take our blankets an lay on the floor around register..ANYWAY))

There were some great new tunes those year.. I hope to bring some of them to the playa this year.. See Ya in the dust

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Post by Trishntek » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:19 am

We use Logitech Z2300 computer 2+1 system. You can plug it into pretty much anything you wish to use for music source, it puts out 200W of quality sound, and only costs about $130 on Amazon or Frye's.

We use these year around at various parties and outdoor events.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:03 pm

This year sound camps have been banned...too many noise complaints!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:21 pm

unjonharley wrote:This year I'm mounting four (mono) Pa (4inch horn) speakers on a post.. At ground level there dampered by the surrondings.. Music from the 40s-50s was all mono..

Become very depressed looking up old tunes yesterday.. I started noticeing popurlar music in about 1945..
Recommend anything except small horns.
Almost no bass and worse in cheaper ones.

There was some stereo in the fifties, including an early dual needle discrete system.
I have a ragtime collection recorded in stereo.
Anything recorded in discrete tracks with any binaural info can be remixed in stereo, and that has been done.
Film was done in three channel optical surround from Cinerama's start.
A friend was amazed when he got the first mutli-channel copy of Forbidden Planet, but it was three channel to start with, and if the masters exist, they would be used.
Knowledge of stereo goes way back.
Don't know how often people recorded for it. but some filmed in color for black and white tv.
Paid off too later.

Simulated stereo and surround wasn't uncommon with better mono systems.
Klipsch patented a center channel system early on.

I prefer an outer and inner stereo speaker set balanced together, especially over center channel use.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 pm

gyre wrote:
unjonharley wrote:This year I'm mounting four (mono) Pa (4inch horn) speakers on a post.. At ground level there dampered by the surrondings.. Music from the 40s-50s was all mono..

Recommend anything except small horns.
Almost no bass and worse in cheaper ones.

There was some stereo in the fifties, including an early dual needle discrete system.
I have a ragtime collection recorded in stereo.
Anything recorded in discrete tracks with any binaural info can be remixed in stereo, and that has been done.
Film was done in three channel optical surround from Cinerama's start.

In the fortys people only had old tube radios the had been built in the 30s.(personal radios were not producted in war time.. In the 50s I was given a Monkey Wards Silver Tone with backalite case..(left it pluged in and the lighting got it) The cars were all old style tube..( all were after factory installed..) The car had to be running to listen to them.. Or the battery would go dead.. Your Girlfriend and you would have to make your own music in the back seat while parked.. In the navy personal radios were not allowed.. So we made our own built into clasified books..(had to wind our own resisters) AM follows the curve of the earth.. So at night we would hang a wire over the side just above the water.. Any thing broadcast in sterio was recieved in AM mono..

gyre

Post by gyre » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:12 pm

The receivers always get updated last.

In the sixties they were still producing mono albums though there was no reason for it, except some people didn't think they could use them on a mono player.

Must have been quite something when the first radios came out that would run parked.
Read something about that somewhere.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:35 pm

gyre wrote: .

Must have been quite something when the first radios came out that would run parked.
Read something about that somewhere.
Ya a dip in to population growth chart :D

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:18 pm

A lot of people went to one room schools in the 40s..

Each township had a school with all 8 grades..

In my fifth grade the school throw a play and box social.. Profites from that were used to buy a victrola.. The whole school learned to dance to that machine.. My Grandmother had a fit.. Being a good babtist.. The boys in the next county just knew how to do a good barnyard stomp.. It was easy to pick up the pretty girls at the township hall dances.. Cept You got your ass kicked from there dads and the local boy crop..

Return to “Power & Electronics”