Glowies, Blinkies, UVies & Other Illuminations

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
_tears_

Post by _tears_ » Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:14 pm

Bob wrote:Image
I find this picture very erotic... :oops:
[size=84][color=red]
Tears 2003, 2004
[/color][/size]
[size=100][color=darkred]
The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
[/color][/size]

Mister Jellyfish Mister

fastening el wire

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:47 am

I'm getting ready to fasten the el wire to the dimensional wire frames that were bent into shapes. Since the el wire needs to be visible from both sides of the shapes, I need to run it along the sides. I've tried 4" mini tie straps but they constantly need adjusting and the natural colored ones that may let the light through are seldom UV rated for outdoor use.

Any suggestions on a way to install the el wire that won't damage it in case I need to remove it after The Burn?
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Angel Ben

Re: fastening el wire

Post by Angel Ben » Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:56 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:I'm getting ready to fasten the el wire to the dimensional wire frames that were bent into shapes. Since the el wire needs to be visible from both sides of the shapes, I need to run it along the sides. I've tried 4" mini tie straps but they constantly need adjusting and the natural colored ones that may let the light through are seldom UV rated for outdoor use.

Any suggestions on a way to install the el wire that won't damage it in case I need to remove it after The Burn?
I'm not sure what the 4" tie straps are that you're talking about, but I usually just use twists of thin wire or translucent white zip ties.

SHARPER

attaching el wire

Post by SHARPER » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:08 am

Use safety pins and clean plastic straws.
Take the side of the pin with the "head" on it and attach it to your frame using hot glue and reinforced with piano wire (just in case the glue comes unglued).
Place a section of clear plastic straw over the "pin" part and close the safety pin.
Now you can thread your el wire thru the straw.
This works well on a variety of el wire projects.
Do not think of me as gone, I am with you still in each new dawn.

TommyTheCat

Post by TommyTheCat » Wed Jun 16, 2004 2:15 pm

my question about EL wire...if i want to wear it some how...would all i need is the wire and a inverter and would it require and soldering? Thanks

Darby
I got ma ride...blargh!

SHARPER

el wire

Post by SHARPER » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:11 pm

the peeps at coolightwest.com have a set of instructions you can print on how to work with el wire. Yes - soldering - el wire to inverter wires and you will need a power source in addition to the inverter (some small inverters are also battery packs - larger projects require lareger batteries) check out some of the web sites. The one I mentioned is burner friendly because they are fellow burners but there are several others that are friendly and helfull as well. One other good one is located in Yorba Linda - www.elwirecheap.com. We had a workshop there a few months back and they were great to us!

SHARPER

spelling

Post by SHARPER » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:12 pm

uh helpfull and a few other typos - its late - forgiveness requested

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:48 am

If you're attaching EL to a nonporous surface, GOOP adhesive (AKA "SHOE GOO") is fantastic stuff- It will peel off cleanly from the wire and from metal or plastic, but try to avoid imbedding the wire in it completely. I have had good success with running the wire around the perimeter of the shape to be illuminated, holding it with clothespins or those nifty little plastic spring clamps that they sell in tubes of ten or twenty, and then adding dabs of GOOP at regular intervals and at all bends and joints. You can glue the battery box on too, but remember to leave access for the battery compartment!
You can also knot it on with fishline.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Mister Jellyfish Mister

fishline

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:23 am

Thanks, Robotland! Your fishline idea gave me a an out-loud "AH HA!".
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

robotland

Lamps, Lights and Blinky Things

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:06 am

Let's hear about your Great Ideas for illumination!

My latest project started with a server found in a dumpster- I pulled about 20 beautiful 8x11" circuit boards out of it, and grouped them into threes with the backsides (flat) out. (I GOOPed them together.) Put a bright light inside the resulting triangular box, and you get a really cool looking lamp with the shadows of the components visible along with a pleasant, otherworldly green glow. A blue neon tube inside works well too, especially if two triangular units are stacked with a spacer in between so you get a peek at the "guts" with the blue glow inside.....

With Thanx and a Hat Tippo to Blinky Mike at Hushville Power And Light- Just made a pair of solar lanterns by cannibalizing two Malibu solars- Take the black tops off, and drill six equidistant holes around the rim. Shoot longshank pop rivets through four of the holes, and adjust the bent-up backside "hooks" so that they all face inward. Dress up the other two holes with spiffy brass eyelets, and thread a length of scrap wire through for hanging. Now fasten a foot or two of 4" dryer vent tubing to the Malibu top by slipping it under the four "rivet hooks". You can leave the bottom open, to project a circle of light onto the ground, or dress it up with a cap; I used a round, white plastic cap that looks like a little UFO, which I found while browsing in the electrical aisle at the hardware store. These lamps look fairly substantial, but accordion down to about 4" thick for packing. TIP: Remove or slip a plastic shim under the batteries to disable the LED during the voyage to BRC- If you have a battery charger, charge 'em up. Otherwise, just set 'em out when you get there.
You can make lots of fun lanterns in no time at all, by putting Malibu tops onto other things- My favorites are plastic pumpkin trick-or-treat heads. Screw the Mailibu top on with two drywall screws, leaving one loose so you can pivot the "lid" open for battery access. Or, cut out the bottom of the pumpkin. This makes it hard to fill them with water or sand for ballast, though. A Malibu on a translucent party ball resembles a full moon! The yellow plastic "flames" from Xmas yard candles look cool with a solar inside as well, and, well, they're FLAMES!

Okay. Your turn.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:50 am

Most be the drinking water in Kalamazoo. What happened to the touch LED lamps. Any progress or do I strike out on my own?
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Das Bus

Post by Das Bus » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:17 am

Hey Robot! Got any pics?
Medicated and Motivated!

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:46 am

unjonharley wrote: What happened to the touch LED lamps.
....refresh my memory! Several projects fell out of my head while in the process of moving......

DBus- I'm having problems launching pics thru the workplace firewalls....I might be able to PM some shots of the finished lamps, once I finish and photo them......For how much I love technology, it's AMAZING how stupid I am regarding sending images over the wire......I'll work on it, promise.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:56 am

robotland wrote:
unjonharley wrote: What happened to the touch LED lamps.
....refresh my memory! Several projects fell out of my head while in the process of moving......
/\

I moved this year too. No art project for this year. Any hoo. Some one mentioned touch lamp. YOu said how about led touch lamps. Skampering off to your LAy-bor-a-tore never to be heard from again. Heh heh heh. So we know you didn't take over the world with your last try. May haps you worked on a new touch lamp?????
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:06 am

I AM making some TORCH lamps....they have plastic flames from Xmas candles on 'em.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Post by PurplMyst » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:01 pm

Once upon a time I was strolling thru a K-Mart & came across this little white ball that had 3 blue LED lights in it called a "Moon Ball". It looked like a normal white ball, but when you squeezed it, voila! It was re-chargeable & didn't require batteries! How nifty! I impulse bought it for about $10, and have enjoyed it for many years.

So this year I'm thinking how cool it would be to have these around camp, maybe in different colors. :idea: I go on the internet & find they are not longer at K-Mart. :( I can only find them under the name "Mathmos Bubble" for about $70 apiece. If anybody has seen these elsewhere for a reasonable price, please let me know!!

http://www.zippergifts.com/
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Yeah, I've learned to Gather Ye Blinkies While Ye May, as the good toys vanish so damn fast....There were decent glow-in-the-dark Bocce balls available for a while, too....
Howdy From Kalamazoo

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Post by PurplMyst » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:49 am

Eureka! After much searching I have come across light up juggling balls!

http://www.higginsbrothers.com/balls.htm

They last longer than the charge up ones, work the same way, and are priced much more reasonably. Hooray!
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

robotland

Post by robotland » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:43 am

Good! Now I'll be able to find them when they roll under the couch, which is about every four or five throws......
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theshaman

Settle a bet for me...

Post by theshaman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:21 pm

is it pronounced "E. L. wire" like the two letters. or....

is it pronounced "El Wire" like El Diablo?
Buddha wasn't a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddhist

Shaman

robotland

Re: Settle a bet for me...

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:46 am

theshaman wrote:is it pronounced "E. L. wire" like the two letters. or....

It's a bastard abbreviation of the word "Electroluminescent". And if you go a-googlin', try EL wire, EL tape, Coolneon, Lightwire and so on, ad infinitum.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:48 am

...and not to be confused with "E.L. Fudge", the elfin-made cookie treat made in a hollow tree.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

theshaman

no wait

Post by theshaman » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:23 am

Actually I am trying to settle a bet I have...half of my friends say it is pronunced E L wire (like E L Fudge) and the other half refer to it as El wire like El Fuego

I myself am in the E L Fudge camp and I have a dollar riding on it
Buddha wasn't a Christian, but Jesus would have made a good Buddhist

Shaman

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:44 am

It's E.L. Fudge . If I can be considered an expert, then that's my expert opinion. (I proclaimed myself an expert some time ago.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:52 am

Both are used, I mostly call it "L-wire" around people who know, "E-L wire" (or "electroluminescent wire) around people who do not.

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:30 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:

Both are used, I mostly call it "L-wire" around people who know, "E-L wire" (or "electroluminescent wire) around people who do not.
......does calling it "E L Wire" around those who do NOT make a difference to them? "Ohhhh, E L Wire! I understand now!"

That's why I call it Pretty Blinky String. Less confusing.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:45 pm

robotland wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

......does calling it "E L Wire" around those who do NOT make a difference to them? "Ohhhh, E L Wire! I understand now!"

Ahhh! but it can also be on continuously. Pretty Blinky or Always-On String (that can also shimmer real fast so as to almost look like it's on all the time). But that's too long.

When I say "E-L wire" to newbies (or people who get a blank look) I follow it up with "electro-luminescent wire". So if there is only ONE way, I would have to go with "E-L wire". "L-wire" is a verbal abbreviation. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but I have played one on TV (and at work)

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:51 pm

robotland wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

Ahhh! but it can also be on continuously. Pretty Blinky or Always-On String (that can also shimmer real fast so as to almost look like it's on all the time). But that's too long.

When I say "E-L wire" to newbies (or people who get a blank look when I say "L-wire") I follow it up with "electro-luminescent wire" and explain in more detail. So if there is only ONE way, I would have to go with "E-L wire". "L-wire" is a verbal abbreviation. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but I have played one on TV (and at work)

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:51 pm

robotland wrote:
dragonfly Jafe wrote:

When I say "E-L wire" to newbies (or people who get a blank look when I say "L-wire") I follow it up with "electro-luminescent wire" and explain in more detail. So if there is only ONE way, I would have to go with "E-L wire". "L-wire" is a verbal abbreviation. Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but I have played one on TV (and at work)

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:54 pm

good enough to be posted thrice
Democrats... snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, daily!

slap my salmon, baby

Return to “Power & Electronics”