To all you assholes with generators,

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Re: To all you assholes with generators,

Post by lemur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:51 pm

some people create their own karma.. i.e. by being asshats and causing problems with vehicles/generators.

wouldnt be shocked if someone decided to punish someone for such a minor thing as a loud gennie by fucking up an RV
Don't link to anything here!

DrYes
Burning Since: 2010

Post by DrYes » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:47 pm

lemur wrote:some people create their own karma.. i.e. by being asshats and causing problems with vehicles/generators.

wouldnt be shocked if someone decided to punish someone for such a minor thing as a loud gennie by fucking up an RV

Thank Zeus for page 2.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:05 am

danibel wrote:Karma is gonna bite ya.
No it's not. Karma is something claimed only after you know the results. It's like luck. Where was "karma" for all the incidents where it didn't occur? Where was "lady luck" when you lost your earnings at the blackjack table?

Belief in Karma is like belief in heavenly rewards for good works: a deferment of payment for make-believe goods. It's for people who choose not to control their fates.
We were camped at 5:15 and H. A nice group of folks were next to us with a bar and a bus and an old RV. They had a crap loud ass gennie under the RV. What it was powering, I have no idea, but it ran every afternoon. They had it baffled so that the noise came straight to us. Nice. We had cars parked along the side that blocked most of the noise so whatever. Noise is gonna happen.
I think this really highlights the real problem here, including for the OP: it's not really the fact that there are loud gennies, or that people buy them, but rather that the people using such loud machines are only isolating and baffling them for their own comfort, without any respect for anyone else's.

That's why I like the parabolic reflector baffle idea: to send that sound right back at the owners. You're not making the noise. You're just reflecting it back at the source.

Some day I'd like to test a parabolic reflector that fires that sound upwards. Maybe that's the solution to loud generators.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:22 am

lemur wrote:some people create their own karma.. i.e. by being asshats and causing problems with vehicles/generators.

OK. Maybe I used the wrong word, karma. I thought it was ironic that the people that were running a gennie all week to power something, but could not power up their vehicle at the end of the event.

I think it's a douche move to fuck up someone's vehicle or gennie. We had a piece of plywood that we wanted to try to add to their baffle box but they weren't around to talk to, so we just ignored the noise and went about our burn.

I do not think a mandate to baffle gennies is a good idea. There are already enough "rules" out there as it is. I just wish people would be more considerate of their neighbors and try to keep gennie noise down. At least they only ran it during the afternoon and not the morning.
In dust we trust.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:47 am

danibel wrote:
lemur wrote: I think it's a douche move to fuck up someone's vehicle or gennie. We had a piece of plywood that we wanted to try to add to their baffle box but they weren't around to talk to, so we just ignored the noise and went about our burn.
Some camp mates came back one night to find a car parked in front of our MV's parking space in our camp. After yelling a bunch to find the driver, he ended up finding someone who was loosely associated to them. They put the car in neutral and pushed it out of the way. The driver ended up showing up and had some kind of verbal exchange with the car pilot who ended with "Man, hope nothing happens to your unattended art car."

Threats to people's stuff out there is pretty much garbage.

(This is all third hand to me, so who knows who is right, wrong, what was played up or down by parties, so I left the identifying stuff out. No harm, no foul. That last part of the story though, still hits me like chewing on tinfoil.)

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:57 am

Just curious, if I went into a camp, people I don't know, and screamed at them for the course of the entire event, just screamed, day and night because it made ME feel good....would someone telling me to shut the fuck up or they would shut me up be wrong?

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 am

You'd be in the wrong.

Your throat is going to be a little hoarse, and they're not allowed on the Playa.

DrYes

Post by DrYes » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:40 am

The solution we unintentionally employed this year to combat the "dude with an unbaffled old-school loud generator" was to point our rather hefty sound system right at his RV and play some hard-driving dubstep for five hours at volume until he stormed over to complain. We hadn't realized our speakers were actually triangulated on his RV, but after that, he kept his gennie under control (and we changed the speaker config). Keeping that tactic in my pocket for the future.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:54 am

Think of those big speakers like a big brother to Dr.Who's sonic screwdriver. One tool. Many possible applications. Epic effect. And non-lethal. Mostly. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:57 am

Talk first, action second. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:01 am

Nipple wrote:You'd be in the wrong.

Your throat is going to be a little hoarse, and they're not allowed on the Playa.
....but do you think, as per the generators, that they'd consider pouring alittle beer in to shut me up?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:03 am

Lonesomebri wrote:

....but do you think, as per the generators, that they'd consider pouring alittle beer in to shut me up?
If he wears a glittery feather boa around his neck, the little sparkle hoarse would be allowed on playa. And it would rate a more illegal drug than beer.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:11 am

Lonesomebri wrote:

I think they might try, but that could only fuel you back up!
theCryptofishist wrote: If he wears a glittery feather boa around his neck, the little sparkle hoarse would be allowed on playa. And it would rate a more illegal drug than beer.
REALLY fueled up! He might scream color!

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:33 am

Okay, i think i am now completely baffled.

As an aside, I would visit my friend down the block at BRC, using the constant roar of his neighbors' generator as a homing beacon. Towards the end, after that neighbor left, I rode right past my buddies camp without realizing it. I had come to depend on that generator's noise. Not to beat a dead horse, but that is something I am saddled with.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:37 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Okay, i think i am now completely baffled.
I sorta thought you sounded quieter... :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:51 pm

DrYes wrote:The solution we unintentionally employed this year to combat the "dude with an unbaffled old-school loud generator" was to point our rather hefty sound system right at his RV and play some hard-driving dubstep for five hours at volume until he stormed over to complain. We hadn't realized our speakers were actually triangulated on his RV, but after that, he kept his gennie under control (and we changed the speaker config). Keeping that tactic in my pocket for the future.
Though the only problem with that, while most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two audibly, there are restrictions on playing music too loud within certain areas of BRC, whereas there are none for "infrastructure" noise like generators. Maybe a solution would be to buy your own $300 JackhammerLX cheapo generator with a nice plywood audio-lensing baffle just to escalate the arms race.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Nipple

Post by Nipple » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm

Why not play an mp3 FLAC of generator noise over the sound system within the sound limits?

Edit: For quality audio, and lack of royalties going to those jerks, the Motion Picture Experts Group. Jerks.

Lonesomebri

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:10 pm

$300 JackhammerLX cheapo generator with a nice plywood audio-lensing baffle just to escalate the arms race.
Finally, one of the talking meat cakes around here is starting to make sense. Personally, my solution lies with drones and lasers....

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:23 pm

I will record 30 minutes of the Coleman genny we have for power failure times..
I start and run thirty minutes on gas through it at day light saving time changes..

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:58 pm

The sad part is that you don't have to spend a lot of money to get a quiet generator. I paid $400 for one that was as quiet as an EU2000i (tested side by side). We ran it 6 feet from my hexayurt and the biggest problem was forgetting that it was running after we were done using power.

Conversely...at the porta-potties on 8:00 and H, someone with nostrils of steel pulled their mega-RV less than 20 feet from the row of crappers. They had what looked like a 5000W construction site generator with a crude OSB baffle box aimed at the porta potties. Vibrated the poo right outta you.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Nipple wrote:Why not play an mp3 FLAC of generator noise over the sound system within the sound limits?
Well the problem with that is that you're still confined to the sound limits. The generators are the loophole that allow you to produce 150dB audible noise while feigning ignorance about the noise pollution and hearing damage it produces.

Plus, if you're going to use speakers, you might as well use even more annoying sounds such as:
  • Crying babies
  • Rainbow Ride
    [media]
  • Vuvuzelas!
    [media]

(here's a 10-hour loop)
  • Or worst of all.... Phil Collins music.
Edit: For quality audio, and lack of royalties going to those jerks, the Motion Picture Experts Group. Jerks.
You could also use OGG files, which are probably more supported than FLAC, but now we're really getting nerdy. It might even be better to have a really crappy, lossy format like transcoded RealAudio with all that delicious smearing and distortion.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:54 am

Could bring the ear covers that I use in the yard.. Then key a mike next to speaker for some good old fashion feed back..

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:14 am

Glad this post is getting a lot of views.

New trick I saw played a few times on my street this year is to put cheap, noisy generator on the street and baffle it to the owner's camp with an RV.

One jerk with a noisy generator in his RV had it parked facing the street . . . they had cold beers and AC (lived in luxury) while I drank warm beer and cooled off by soaking my dress in water (evaporative cooler). (Warm beer and my cooling method is not as bad as noisy generator.)

Simply ban unbaffled generators or gens with >xxdb at 10-feet?

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:38 pm

666isMONEY wrote:One jerk with a noisy generator in his RV had it parked facing the street . . . they had cold beers and AC (lived in luxury) while I drank warm beer and cooled off by soaking my dress in water (evaporative cooler). (Warm beer and my cooling method is not as bad as noisy generator.)
You know what other kinds of noise we could do without? Burner luxury-resentment and pat-me-on-the-back material-piety. :roll:

It'd probably be best just to enforce the same noise policy for music as for other machines.

Then again... one could just move his/her ass to Hushville if it's really such an issue.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:46 pm

BBadger wrote:Then again... one could just move his/her ass to Hushville if it's really such an issue.
Just so we're clear...

It's my understanding that Hushville requires advance sign-up, and that even with the space maximized by very dense camping there isn't room for all.

I have no idea what the policy and space availability of AEZ are.

Walk-in Camping is wide open.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

666isMONEY
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: BRCCP

Post by 666isMONEY » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:50 pm

BBadger wrote:
666isMONEY wrote:One jerk with a noisy generator in his RV had it parked facing the street . . . they had cold beers and AC (lived in luxury) while I drank warm beer and cooled off by soaking my dress in water (evaporative cooler). (Warm beer and my cooling method is not as bad as noisy generator.)
You know what other kinds of noise we could do without? Burner luxury-resentment and pat-me-on-the-back material-piety. :roll:

It'd probably be best just to enforce the same noise policy for music as for other machines.

Then again... one could just move his/her ass to Hushville if it's really such an issue.
Hushville isn't an option, it's too far away from where I wanna be. (So is walk in camping.)

Point is: f*ck noisy generators, especially if it's for keeping your beer cold and you can't stand the heat.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:59 pm

Cryptofishist just said something that tweaked a notion: why not get a bunch of Honda EU1000, EU2000, and EU3000 owners to camp together in adjoining areas, (maybe get placed?) and make their own grid? The agreement would be you cant use more power than you produce, and no other combustion-powered gensets would be allowed. All you would have to do is run a #2 gauge backbone down the middle of the camps and have everyone plug into it. Everyone sets the eco-switch to "on", and you have a rapidly-deployed, non-centralized, resilient, synchonized grid without undue noise.

Hmmmmm.....
(A Beautiful Mind)

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:05 pm

666isMONEY wrote:Hushville isn't an option, it's too far away from where I wanna be. (So is walk in camping.)
Oh well.
Point is: f*ck noisy generators, especially if it's for keeping your beer cold and you can't stand the heat.
Y'know, if you're going to bitch about noisy generators, just bitch about them directly. Tying it to some sort of wealth-resentment just makes you sound petty.

lemur
Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Post by lemur » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:29 pm

yeah!

how dare someone want cold drinks and a comfortable low temp location for sleeping and relaxing in the middle of the fuckin desert.

what kind of asshole would want that?
Don't link to anything here!

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Fucking 1% burner elitists and their cold drinks and cool lodgings!

Burners calling other burners elitists. What. A. Concept. I guess there are different shades of calling the kettle black.

Return to “Power & Electronics”