Anybody ever build a hush box?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Amedao
Burning Since: 2019

Re: Anybody ever build a hush box?

Postby Amedao » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:21 pm

BBadger wrote:Remember that the main issues with making a good baffle is that it needs to provide proper ventilation and not get too hot.

It's actually pretty hard to absorb sounds with materials. So when you build a baffle, and are trying to block the sound all around, it just isn't that efficient. It's better to reflect or block the sound, which is no doubt why people just put their generators behind a wall-surface to the chagrin of people on the generator-side of the wall.

In that light, something I'd like to try or see someone try is making a parabolic reflector that aims the sound upwards. There's a whole sky of unoccupied space that can absorb the sound. Plus, the reflector being open at the top means that heat can vent out the top as long as there is proper ventilation below (which can be provided via holes), Though the reflector wouldn't have to be perfect, it would need to be relatively large compared to regular baffles, which is a logistical concern. Still, it could look like a nice art piece.

Sooo i'm not an expert or an engineer at all just had thought and throwing it out there... in the hush box you would want baffling foam but your worried about heat and melting. Would the baffling foam still work if you sprayed it down with say a High heat rust O leum that they use for engine blocks? or some kine of reflective metal spray that you can put on it.. (honestly don't know if that is a thing)
The reason for my question was I was because the first thing that popped in my head for a hush box was a dog igloo, and if you took the bottom off and some how closed the big opening on the side and put ventilation in with maybe big fans behind the baffling foam and sprayed the foam so it dosn't melt... then you could pick up and set down this dome over your generator and it would muffle a lot but not all of the noise.. and if you happened to have a dog then you could still potentially use the dog house during the winter months and it would be extra toasty inside.. *shruggs* Like I said <---- not an expert just had a thought
I observed a large dog igloo for around 40-50 on amazon, saw a company selling 12x12x2 12pack for 30 bucks, rattle can of high temp black abyss and some fans a bit of wiring.. all the gluuues... let me know if i'm waaay off

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 am

I think the high-heat paint is more to protect the spray itself from incineration, not the material it's sprayed on. Typically the spray is on metal stoves or BBQs and stuff like that which are already able to radiate enough heat away to not melt. Its purpose is mostly to protect the metal from rusting, not heat.

A dog igloo could possibly melt if too close to the exhaust. With enough space for the exhaust to cool down and waft away it might be okay. I don't know if the foam on the interior would do much good though. It may not absorb that much noise at the low end. The shelter may also rattle, which isn't good. Maybe experiment with it?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:19 am

You’re way off, yes.
Bbadger’s right, high heat paint has nothing to do with protecting a surface or material from heat. It’s simply paint that withstands high heat.
A dog igloo as a generator cover bears a remarkable resemblance to a pizza oven.

Even if the foam didn’t melt or ignite, the generator inside will overheat. Portable generators are air cooled.

It’s a whole lot more effective to not bring loud as hell lawnmower-engine generators.
The off-brand sets like Champions and such are getting pretty cheap.
But read my post a few spaces down about the long-term super cheap cost of Hondas.
Often it’s cheaper in the big picture to not buy junk.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:06 am

I've been using an awesome hush box for the last few years. It's 2 x 100 W solar panels & some deep cycle batteries that surround the generator that I no longer have.

You can barely hear it.

:shock:
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:54 am

Can’t hear your A/C either :)

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:30 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Can’t hear your A/C either :)

Those sign waves do make a little more noise than a flat 12v but that's totally understandable (yeah, duh!).

The mister we had set up in our carport provided all the cooling I needed and it did away with all the melted ice from my jockey box. Cool air & cold beer (Win Win!)

Embrace the Dust, the Heat, and the Cold of night. If I cared about A/C I would probably just go to Hawaii.

-Your doing it wrong! :D
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote: If I cared about A/C I would probably just go to Hawaii.

The more BM “progresses” the better Hawaii is!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote: If I cared about A/C I would probably just go to Hawaii.

The more BM “progresses” the better Hawaii is!

Dammit! I just can't argue with your logic.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:47 am

The appeal of Burning Man has always been how much it sucks. We just have an steady influx of people with new, creative ways of making it suck.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:19 am

maladroit wrote:The appeal of Burning Man has always been how much it sucks. We just have an steady influx of people with new, creative ways of making it suck.

I find it hard to argue with that logic!!

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 am

Hush box? Oh I thought this might be a solution to an annoying campmate...

Carrion
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:25 am

It would be more effective in that application. Just put the offending camper in the box. They rarely make as much noise as a cheap generator.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:22 am

lucky420 wrote:Hush box? Oh I thought this might be a solution to an annoying campmate...

Carrion

Oh, that would have come in handy this year.

A small (depends on the head) hush box that can be secured around ones head.

Not as drastic as the garbage bag & zip-ties that I was considering.

I hereby commission FIGJAM to design one. :D

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:13 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Hush box? Oh I thought this might be a solution to an annoying campmate...

Carrion

Oh, that would have come in handy this year.

A small (depends on the head) hush box that can be secured around ones head.

Not as drastic as the garbage bag & zip-ties that I was considering.

I hereby commission FIGJAM to design one. :D

Oh I like this “secured around the head” idea. Much easier to transport/store...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Power & Electronics”