Hexacopters with video?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Re: Hexacopters with video?

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:56 am

I don't think we should ban them but I do think being able to jam them if they get near me would be great.
I don't think they should be flown near people without the blade guards on.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 am

Would be prudent to to fly them near folks with flamethrowers either.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 am

AntiM wrote:Would be prudent to to fly them near folks with flamethrowers either.
or those folks pitching ice cubes.. (moop-free ammo)
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:00 am

Oh that's it! Air cannon loaded with "ice shot"!
Although really, I think they could take that hit. The electronic countermeasures still seem like the best bet. You can do it just as anonymously as you can fly the things and there's zero evidence, and a 0.00003% chance of anyone being able to trace ten seconds of RFI.

Overall the things are cool but when some dickhead flies one anywhere near the First Mate on a windy day, I'd like and intend to be able to do something about it, I don't know what yet but there's gotta be something.
And everyone else can have torpedoes ready if my well lit, slow moving, licensed and readily identifiable MV goes berserk and plows through their camp.
Last edited by Captain Goddammit on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 am

Wrist rocket and a small cooler of cubed destruction!

Eeeeeeexcellent! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 am

BBadger wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing drones used for purposes beyond that of just video taking, just as motor vehicles used for more than just transportation. Give this technology some time. Will we see sky art? Air singing telegrams? Mail delivery? Vertical music and sound? Swarms of lights? Extremely large 3D art? Reconfigurable star-fields? Sky lanterns without the MOOP? The sky is literally the limit on this one, and we shouldn't base our policies for the future only on the limitations and expectations of the present.
Think of the gifting possibilities. I bet most of us would enjoy an otter pop dropped into our hands by a drone... Or a necklace... Yeah, there's stuff that could go wrong.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

remi

Post by remi » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 am

This thread is hilarious!

Best joke I've heard/read so far this year = "Drones put peoples lives at risk"... We're at TTITD, not in the middle east. I think they should ban bikes.. you know how many injuries I've seen/heard about because bikes? At least a dozen!
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 am

1466073_647315851987227_1348084438_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:28 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Oh that's it! Air cannon loaded with "ice shot"!
Although really, I think they could take that hit. The electronic countermeasures still seem like the best bet. You can do it just as anonymously as you can fly the things and there's zero evidence, and a 0.00003% chance of anyone being able to trace ten seconds of RFI.
I hope you're discreet and your countermeasures are narrow-band. The last thing we need is the FCC investigating this event for using illegal wireless jamming. The fines are as high as $11k per incident, and if you manage to disrupt commercial frequencies the fines for that kind of thing are often measured by the second.

Nets/water cannons might be a better option, and the visibility of a "hostile area for drones" may be a greater deterrent than mysterious jamming-caused accidents. If crashing weren't an issue, barrage balloons would be a great deterrent.
Overall the things are cool but when some dickhead flies one anywhere near the First Mate on a windy day, I'd like and intend to be able to do something about it, I don't know what yet but there's gotta be something.
And everyone else can have torpedoes ready if my well lit, slow moving, licensed and readily identifiable MV goes berserk and plows through their camp.
We'll have our dragon's teeth, mines, pillboxes, and artillery ready. This year's theme will be "Maginot Line."
theCryptofishist wrote:Think of the gifting possibilities. I bet most of us would enjoy an otter pop dropped into our hands by a drone... Or a necklace... Yeah, there's stuff that could go wrong.
Some mechanical robot voice heard overhead: "excuse me, would you like an OT-TER pop? Please pull the chain."

The chain is pulled, a flushing sound is heard, and an otter pop fall from the sky.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 pm

BBadger wrote:
We'll have our dragon's teeth, mines, pillboxes, and artillery ready. This year's theme will be "Maginot Line."
Oooh! I better go and start Plucky Neutral Belgium Camp.
theCryptofishist wrote:Think of the gifting possibilities. I bet most of us would enjoy an otter pop dropped into our hands by a drone... Or a necklace... Yeah, there's stuff that could go wrong.
Some mechanical robot voice heard overhead: "excuse me, would you like an OT-TER pop? Please pull the chain."

The chain is pulled, a flushing sound is heard, and an otter pop fall from the sky.[/quote]
Works for me.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:17 pm

i'm staying tuned to FB and JRS for talking points on these fratboy droneholes, lol

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:04 pm

BBadger wrote: if you manage to disrupt commercial frequencies
In BRC?? Ha! You know all those radio stations are illegal to begin with, right? No one cares, not even the FCC.
You should Google "CB radio superbowl", or just tune in to channel 6 sometime. There's tons of guys illegally running thousands of watts through huge antennas. I used to do it myself. I've still got tons of old QSL cards from all over the U.S. from my old station that was illegally overpowered, illegally over modulated, illegally out-of-frequency, and illegally over-range. And I wasn't shit compared to what's out there now.
I'm hard-pressed to believe the federates will be there zeroed in on a relatively low-powered 10 second burst of static way out in the middle of nowhere.
I could be wrong but I believe KSVERT and even BMIR aren't really legal.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:04 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
BBadger wrote: if you manage to disrupt commercial frequencies
In BRC?? Ha! You know all those radio stations are illegal to begin with, right? No one cares, not even the FCC.
You should Google "CB radio superbowl", or just tune in to channel 6 sometime. There's tons of guys illegally running thousands of watts through huge antennas. I used to do it myself. I've still got tons of old QSL cards from all over the U.S. from my old station that was illegally overpowered, illegally over modulated, illegally out-of-frequency, and illegally over-range. And I wasn't shit compared to what's out there now.
I'm hard-pressed to believe the federates will be there zeroed in on a relatively low-powered 10 second burst of static way out in the middle of nowhere.
I could be wrong but I believe KSVERT and even BMIR aren't really legal.
From what I've read the FCC did get involved due to complaints. I think BMIR is allowed for emergency reasons, and KSVERT and others had to make sure their frequency didn't interfere with others and were low power enough to not extend much beyond BRC (~1Watt or something). There certainly aren't as many (advertised) radio stations as before. Another thing was that they didn't have any malicious intent. If you're actually trying to jam signals, that's another matter that may warrant more investigation.

This is why I'm saying that if people are seriously thinking about doing something like this -- and they shouldn't -- they ought to be discreet. If word gets around about people illegally jamming devices, or complaints are made (such as people having their drones wrecked), there are obligations on federal authorities to investigate and possibly confiscate equipment/fine people for their actions. I'm not worried so much about raids or fines, but that we want to avoid negative attention for the event even if it seems relatively benign. It's kind of like allowing laser shows at Burning Man to take place without an FAA variance so long as no incidents take place.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:11 pm

Here's what _I_ saw on the playa:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wMgtovmAo

and here's the result of the drone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSzygc49xSs

I'm aggravated by the noise those drones make and them flying around in my face; however, the resulting video was great.

The harsh reality is that I have no say. I suspect if enough people complain, BMOrg will come up with a compromise that I'll find acceptable. BMOrg is amazing at working problems out.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:11 pm

I understand where you're coming from but you're making a mountain of a molehill.
People crash those things all the time.
If you want to avoid negative attention then worry about getting people to quit bringing and taking so many drugs to BM.
That's the big-time negative attention in the real world. No one including the FCC gives a rats ass about some guy crashing his drone for the 27th time, but this time he thinks his remote control was jammed.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I understand where you're coming from but you're making a mountain of a molehill.
People crash those things all the time.
If you want to avoid negative attention then worry about getting people to quit bringing and taking so many drugs to BM.
That's the big-time negative attention in the real world. No one including the FCC gives a rats ass about some guy crashing his drone for the 27th time, but this time he thinks his remote control was jammed.
Well it's because the FCC is complaint-driven. I mean hell, why would the FCC care about BM broadcasting extending to a place like Gerlach except with a complaint? Gerlach?!

Plus, we've already gotten all the negative attention we want for the drugs people bring. We don't want the reputation that BM is really a lawless place in all shapes and forms or giving LEO even more excuses to search for things. My gut feeling is that this really is overblown because people aren't going to bother with electronic countermeasures anyway. It's all just a bunch of mind exercises.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 am

next thing you know the flying 'buzzers' will fight back...arm themselves with squirtguns or jello shooters, oh, and otterpops!
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:33 am

The cop will outlaw drones at burning man.. They wont want your drone downing there snoop drone.. "Did you hear that??? hide the drugs!!!!"

Major Krash
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:39 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Measures call for countermeasures. I'm sure a better more powerful drone could be equipped to catch another drone in mid-air and drag it away... and of course there's always good old electronic countermeasures.
Perhaps a much more powerful transmitter would be a fun way to bring one down, in one piece even. Then you could safely smash it on the ground.
http://samy.pl/skyjack/
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:15 pm

when robots are outlawed only outlaws will use robots.
[media]
Frida Be You & Me

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 pm

I know the nature of EPlaya is my male member is bigger than yours. But the very same radio bands used by drone controls are used by playa medical.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Frida Be You & Me

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:31 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:cowabunga
As a long-time long boarder, I loved the blowouts at 1:10 and 1:30. You just really can't explain the "WHOOSHHH!!!" to someone who has never stood before a good curl closing behind you.

I think we need to put about 20 feet of water on the playa and wait for the wind to pick up and surf into Gerlach. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:09 am

We finally get a peaceful application of drone technology & government red tape gets in the way.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/01/ ... 769042349/

It’s Ok to use them to spy on everyone & blow up our “enemies”, but when it comes to delivering products to customers it’s a violation of FAA regulations.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:43 am

That's one of the saddest things I've ever read. What is the poor ice-fishing beleaguered dipsomanic supposed to do now?

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:54 am

The FAA in going to keep us in the horse and carriage age..

It will take a couple of class action to dislodge the old fools..

It 's like Edison belittling Tesla about AC voltage

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:38 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:That's one of the saddest things I've ever read. What is the poor ice-fishing beleaguered dipsomanic supposed to do now?
Don't worry Doc, having been ice fishing many times I can tell you that there is never a shortage of alcohol on a frozen lake.

I think it's actually supposed to be part of your first aid kit. (Band-Aids, tape, blackberry brandy)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:That's one of the saddest things I've ever read. What is the poor ice-fishing beleaguered dipsomanic supposed to do now?
But what if some kids take it down with a Stinger and get drunk from the beer? Will someone please think of the children!?!!

some seeing eye
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:48 pm

The drone to loft beer and carry it more than a mile will be large enough and carry enough fuel I'm glad the government is concerned.

I'm more concerned about shoddy media reprinting fraudulent PR. Taking a picture of a battery copter on top of a half case of beer and issuing a press release is fraudulent. That the FAA fell for it is sad.

Anyone in the industry is well aware of FAA activities and probably involved.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:46 am

I saw that video earlier today (was posted on a homebrewing board) and my first thought was. There's NO WAY that little quad-copter can carry that load. I can't imagine it could carry that empty box all that far given the sail area of the box.

I'm calling BS on the whole thing.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Return to “Power & Electronics”