Maintenance free lead-acid marine batteries

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
keves
Burning Since: 2013

Maintenance free lead-acid marine batteries

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Hello,

On my latest Walmart adventure I purchased this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Max ... y/20531539

Then I heard that the playa dust will neutralize the acid or something like that and ruin the battery. Is there any truth to this?
I will be placing it outside our yurt, connected to a solar charger, swamp cooler, etc.

Thanks!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Maintenance free lead-acid marine batteries

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Playa dust has no place inside of a battery, but it isnt really a concern on the outside. Batteries are designed to live in some pretty icky places and survive dust, oil, shock and vibration pretty well.

The only suggestion is to keep the caps locked down tight and keep your batteries out of the sun if possible.

Short answer: myth, mostly.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

keves

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:28 pm

Perfect. Thanks :)

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:02 pm

Looks like a good buy! You can have it charged on playa by Sno Koan Solar. Given the weight, you might want a wagon to transport to and from their camp. Wagons are easily towed by bike.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

keves

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Hopefully our solar setup would be operational by the burn... and if not we supposedly have a Honda EU2000/3000 for backup.
But if not, thats a great backup backup plan. We should have a wagon...
Thanks again!

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:21 pm

A quick note about the EU2000i when charging a battery off of the dedicated DC charging outlet: The Hondas are wonderful machines, but the 12 VDC outlet is unregulated. Under no-load conditions it is about 17 to 18 volts, and under rated load drops to 12.8 volts. This is rather like the old-school chargers from the 1970's.

If you are charging a battery from this port directly, dont leave the battery unattended expecting the charger to automatically shut-off when the battery is completely charged. IT WONT. Instead, the battery will overcharge and outgas and be miserable for the rest of your burn.

If you want to charge a wet-cell battery without this limitation, it is often best to use a 120 volt AC charger plugged into the generator outlet.

Just so ya know. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

keves

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Oh, thats very good to know!
We'll have both a solar charge controller which I assume we can feed the unregulated input to (instead of feeding from the panels), as well as 110->12v charger that the RV supposedly has somewhere...

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Yup. The unregulated 12 VDC output of the honda will work nicely into a charge controller as long as the controller isnt hugely sensitive to ripple. But if you try to parallel it with a panel without isolation diodes in both feeds, one or the other (Honda or panels) will likely let that expensive pink smoke out of their innards. :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

keves

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:29 pm

Heh, yeah, no plans on paralleling.

rmc50

Post by rmc50 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:27 pm

keves wrote:Hello,
Then I heard that the playa dust will neutralize the acid or something like that and ruin the battery. Is there any truth to this?

If it was a problem, then every vehicle that entered Burning Man would suffer from it, probably even worse.

As long as you keep the caps on you should be all right. Having the battery sit out in the sun will deteriorate the plastic case over time, but a week shouldn't hurt it any.

Rod

keves

Post by keves » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:28 pm

Thats actually a great point, hah!
Re sun - we might have some R-Max panel left, so maybe we'll build a small shelter for it.

Eturnol

Post by Eturnol » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 pm

how many amp hours is this battery? I didnt see the information on the purchase page and might buy it

keves

Post by keves » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:08 am

Around 105-115Ah if this is the link to the right one. Unfortunately it's at the RV which is parked at some storage location so I can't go and check...

Eturnol

Post by Eturnol » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:28 pm

I just bought it from Walmart and it's 122 ah. Nice!

keves

Post by keves » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:58 am

:)

Does anyone know if these come charged?
I have a feeling I should get a charger and charge this beast :/

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:05 am

keves wrote::)

It's charged, because batteries sulfate and become useless if left discharged for a while. But you definitely should get a battery charger. You'll want to charge it up to the max before leaving, because that's a lot of power you can simply carry to the playa with no fuss. You'll also probably want a backup method of charging the battery from your generator if the solar charger or direct connection doesn't work right. A battery charger is pretty useful at the end of the week, too: my first year, my own car battery drained and I only had a small solar setup...by wiring a 30W panel directly to my car battery, I was able to start the car an hour later. Last year, my neighbors also had a dead battery and we just hooked up the charger to the generator while packing up, and they were on their way in no time.

Finally, you'll need a battery charger the rest of the year, because if you don't keep the battery topped off, it'll probably be useless in 2015. Set yourself a reminder to pull it out and run the charger every month, or invest in a battery tender and leave it hooked up all the time.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:07 am

keves wrote::)

They come partially charged. Depending on how long they sat on the shelf, this could be a widely varying fraction.

Completely charge a battery before first use. Then run it through a few 30% discharge / charge cycles under a moderate load. FYI: Deep cycle batteries only reach their ultimate ratings after a few cycles.
(A Beautiful Mind)

keves

Post by keves » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:11 am

VEry useful info. Thanks!!

demeter
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Stag Camp!!

Post by demeter » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:24 am

Also,

Most auto shops (around here: Auto Zone, Advanced Auto Parts, O'Reilly Auto Parts) will charge your battery for free. You just drop it off to them in the morning and come back in 8 hours or so!

I have 3 car batteries I am bringing with me this year and I'm going to take them up there a few days before we head out.

Mattycakes802
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Boat Rentals

Post by Mattycakes802 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:09 am

Can anyone recommend a good charge controller for charging one of these batteries off the 12V DC output of the Honda (I also have a EU2000i)?

I know several people have said not to even bother using the DC output and just get a charger that runs off the AC output - in that event I'd still love a recommendation on what to get that will charge the battery appropriately while still leaving some headroom to run some additional loads while the battery was charging.

Basically, I'm a bit unclear on how much additional power would be available from the generator while the battery was charging. Would it be feasible to run a ~300W sound system and maybe another ~100-200W of lights, etc. off the generator while simultaneously charging the battery? Would it be best to just run everything directly off the battery (I have a pure-sine inverter I will have hooked to the battery) and just have the battery always hooked to the generator?]

Sorry, I'm new to this power shit. Glad to be learning, but still a touch confused.
Nice art car.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Virtually any charge controller that is used for solar panels that is rated at 10 amps at 13.8 volts can be used as long as it isnt overly sensitive to ripple. In fact, in this application, there is a good argument IMHO for stayimg away from a MPPT controller and sticking to the "old style" controller.

When I get home on a real computer I will make a few suggestions as to models with the understanding they are somewhat hypothetical. Until you try something in the dust for a week or two you dont want to ut all of your eggs in that basket. Bring a "real" wall charger just in case. :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

keves

Post by keves » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:51 pm

Piggybacking on this - what would happen if an MPPT controller is used to feed the charge controller? Would it work and just be inefficient/not ideal or could it mess things up?
Thanksss

mozburrn
Burning Since: 2014

Post by mozburrn » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:57 pm

keves wrote:Piggybacking on this - what would happen if an MPPT controller is used to feed the charge controller? Would it work and just be inefficient/not ideal or could it mess things up?
Thanksss
Why connect a controller to yet another controller?

In general, you'd want to know the output characteristics of the device that you're connecting as an input to the second device, and ensure that the output on the first device doesn't exceed what the second device's input is rated for.

Return to “Power & Electronics”