Please help me validate my setup

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Mattycakes802
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Boat Rentals

Please help me validate my setup

Post by Mattycakes802 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:05 am

I appreciate the help in advance.

Kind of a vague idea on power draw at this point, but let me tell you what I have in mind:

Part 1:
- Honda EU2000i (already own)
-105AH Deep Cycle Battery (need to buy - to be charging off the generator when it's running to run lighting for a 20x60 camp and a backup, small stereo system when the generator is not on - maybe a 100W stereo)

Power draws of part 1:
-When generator is on: 300W PA
-Aforementioned lights

Part 2:
-100W Solar Panel
-35AH deep cycle battery
-Inverter to charge iPods, etc
-To power a separate set of lights (running up a 30' flagpole), a 60W stereo, and a swamp cooler

Questions that come to mind:
-Do I need to worry about the generator overcharging the battery?
-Does something need to go between the generator and the battery?
-At what rate will the solar panel recharge the battery?

Talk amongst yourselves?

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to this cool thing we're all about to go to.
Nice art car.

Mattycakes802

Re: Please help me validate my setup

Post by Mattycakes802 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:07 am

P.S.

I realize the amount of time everything is running will impact answers here. Let's assume that there will be six hours of non-generator-running time for the lights and bigger backup stereo per day, and that the 60W stereo (running off the solar/battery) and the swamp cooler will be on at most four hours a day each.
Nice art car.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 am

Mattycakes802 wrote:...
Yes. (As I understand it....) The 12 VDC output of the generator will pump a charge into a battery all right, but it is unregulated. So you would be wise to buy a "smart" battery charger to run off the 115 VAC outlet instead.

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 am

Elliot wrote:
Mattycakes802 wrote:...
Yes. (As I understand it....) The 12 VDC output of the generator will pump a charge into a battery all right, but it is unregulated. So you would be wise to buy a "smart" battery charger to run off the 115 VAC outlet instead.
I agree with Elliot. (I'm an electronic technician)
Collapse first and avoid the rush

2WheelGuy
Camp Name: Camp Neu Verboten

Post by 2WheelGuy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 am

your initial comment suggests that you could benefit from a better understanding of the principles of recharging the battery: Go to battery tender.com and read :Battery Charging Basics. I found this to be very helpful years ago in developing my mindset about working effectively with batteries.

The Deltran battery tender company also sells a solar panel battery recharging system; i'm very impressed with the technology of the company but I have not reviewed their solar battery charging product. Their products are available on the Internet as well as batteries plus stores

Most solar enthusiasts have found tremendous efficiency in using two six volt AGM gel batteries in series as opposed to 1 12 volt deep cycle battery

yes my understanding is that will need a control box between the solar panel and the battery to allow it to recharge properly; based on the "basics" information above, going from Bulk down to Trickle.

two separate manual charging circuits would be required to recharge your battery using either the Honda generator or the solar panel. You would need to disconnect the generator circuit and plug in the solar panel circuit. I am not aware of any off-the-shelf system which would include a control box and automatically switch from the panel to the generator; and then there's the question of starting and stopping the generator.

My recommendation is that I would research the Deltran Battery Tender solar recharging system and link it to (2) 6 volt AGM Gel batteries. I use Lifetime AGM Gel batteries.

Of additional importance is the need to use great connection circuits....go to Lowes and buy 2/0 size copper cables ($3.50. /foot) and to to Greybar and purchase COPPER electrical compression lugs to connect your batteries

Good luck
Living life on the road, going where the weather suits my clothes.....

Mattycakes802

Post by Mattycakes802 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:52 am

Thank you all, this is definitely helpful.

In terms of charging a battery off the generator's DC output - any recommended charge controllers?
Nice art car.

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:15 am

Go to a golf cart shop and get semi used 6 volt and put two together you will get twice the time out of them never let them get more than half drained of power or they will die, other wise they can last years like 5 or 6 . keep all connections bright and shinny with drill and wire roto brush. use biggest wire you can get for any short connections from battery to any converter,
put a knife switch on the positive side of the battery when not in use so it is blocked from loss of electrical drain for sure when not being used. Connect the two 6 volt batteries positive to the other battery negative this makes them both 12 volts with about 225 amp hours per battery or 450 amp hours. do not let them get below half use at 12.1 or they can not be recharged again.
This should give you about 2 or 3 hours at a time with loud music and lights with out any charging. Solar is a bit much to add to this for when you are sleeping in the day time it could work, but it is a minor amount of charging if you have the generator, make sure you have oil to refill it as well as gas. like they stated you need a good charger to run to the batteries from the generator.
Part 1
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

and this one would get you on the right track,
Part 2
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm
unit

2WheelGuy
Camp Name: Camp Neu Verboten

Post by 2WheelGuy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:27 am

Ammonia will become your new best friend when you need to remove corrosion on electrical connections.

No need to apply any wire brushing or manual effort; get a little solo cup( if need be cutting it down to the height needed) pour in some household ammonia and watch the clear ammonia turn blue as it does it's magic.

It's amazing how it just eats corrosion; i've used cotton swabs and poured ammonia on them on flat surfaces where a Cup did not work
Living life on the road, going where the weather suits my clothes.....

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:31 am

2WheelGuy wrote:Ammonia will become your new best friend when you need to remove corrosion on electrical connections.

No need to apply any wire brushing or manual effort; get a little solo cup( if need be cutting it down to the height needed) pour in some household ammonia and watch the clear ammonia turn blue as it does it's magic.

It's amazing how it just eats corrosion; i've used cotton swabs and poured ammonia on them on flat surfaces where a Cup did not work
Im really jazzed you are posting on some of these threads. You always have good input and seem to know your stuff!

Sometimes the signal to noise ratio here gets pretty bad, so I hope you keep it up! :mrgreen:

Grey
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Power & Electronics”