Two way radios.

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
marbles
Burning Since: 2012

Two way radios.

Post by marbles » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:34 pm

My girlfriend and I are considering grabbing some 22 channel 16 mile range two way radios for the playa. I've never used them out there, but I've heard it's hard to get through because of all the traffic on the channels. Is it going to work? Is it worth it? Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks fam!! :mrgreen: :coffee: :coffee: :mrgreen:

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Re: Two way radios.

Post by Molotov » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 pm

That advertised 16 mile range only applies if you are on a mountain top in Nepal-with no outside interference. You will be lucky to get a couple of blocks. The "privacy codes" only keep you from hearing some traffic from others on the channel-but don't reduce interference if two or more transmit at the same time on the same channel, regardless of the privacy code setting. Unfortunately, short of you obtaining an amateur radio license and gear (probably not feasible at this late date) I don't know of another alternative. Cellular phone signals are virtually non-existent, and if present, are usually overloaded as phones left on that are trying to update messages and web site traffic-let alone make a call.

I have a little satellite communicator that sends and receives short text messages from space based hardware, but there can be a lag time as you wait for a satellite pass and for it to process through the system-typically up to 10 minutes, and you must have a clear view of the sky. But it is a way to receive emergency messages from loved ones stuck at home/work in the default world and to reassure them of your continued existence in your absence.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:14 pm

MURS radios are another possibility, less common then the FRS, which are better early on, but tend to become party lines later in the week.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

marbles
Burning Since: 2012

Post by marbles » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 pm

Just the answers I was looking for, thanks everyone!! :D
See you out there! I guess the burn is a perfect time to not be in touch

Much love!

Return to “Power & Electronics”