Glow-in-the-dark paint

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Glow-in-the-dark paint

Postby VultureChow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:01 am

Anyone with any experience using glow in the dark paint for an art project? I initially intended to do a reflective paint, but thought an off white glow in the dark paint might work as well. Bear in mind, this is not the primary method of nighttime safety illumination, rather just something to add to the experience.
Sic Semper Spectatores

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Glow-in-the-dark paint

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:49 pm

So then, you're hoping the primary source of light will provide enough light to set the paint glowing?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

VultureChow

Postby VultureChow » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:06 pm

Nah, primary light source is perimeter in ground lighting leading up to the piece. The piece itself, is more dimly lit from within. The glow paint would be exposed to enough sunlight to "charge"
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Postby Ano » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:21 pm

My buddy painted his bike with glow-in-the-dark paint. It didn't work out too well, we think it was due to the thin layer of dust that ended up all over it. It was very dim, and only really visible from about a foot away. If you're looking for a very mild effect, it could be exactly what you're looking for, though.

Not sure what brand/kind of paint he used beyond that it was "glow-in-the-dark" and "charged" from light. We would draw on it with a laser. It was pretty fun to do that, at least!

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:25 pm

VultureChow wrote:Nah, primary light source is perimeter in ground lighting leading up to the piece. The piece itself, is more dimly lit from within. The glow paint would be exposed to enough sunlight to "charge"

If you want that charge to hold, you're going to be paying for some expensive paint. The manufacturers will say you get "6-8 hours under ideal conditions" or similar wording, but they will also let you know the paint will "dim over time". In my experience that dimming makes it barely visible in about 4 hours (and it starts getting noticeably dimmer within an hour).

I'd recommend going for a black-light paint, and then putting a small UV light in front of the piece, or attached to it. It will glow as long as the light is on, and it will make a much brighter glow.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:15 pm

Yeah I'll second Eric's plan. Fluorescent black-light paint illuminated by some blacklights does work pretty well. Glow-in-the-dark doesn't. I've used a little of each on the playa before.

It really is funny - Eric and I would seem polar opposites in every way, but tend to agree on everything! Opposites attract?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Eric

Postby Eric » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:07 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:It really is funny - Eric and I would seem polar opposites in every way, but tend to agree on everything! Opposites attract?

That's because we're two brilliant (and devilishly handsome) men. Great minds think alike, and all that.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby ygmir » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Eric wrote:
Captain Goddammit wrote:It really is funny - Eric and I would seem polar opposites in every way, but tend to agree on everything! Opposites attract?

That's because we're two brilliant (and devilishly handsome) men. Great minds think alike, and all that.

[media]
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby Zhust » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:18 am

Glow-in-the-dark paint is very very dim after only 15 minutes. The "24-hour" paints are cool but only useful in pitch black.

Here's my experimenting: http://www.jasondoesitall.com/2012/03/glow-inc-glow-in-the-dark-paint-test/
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Postby Jovankat » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Yeah I'll second Eric's plan. Fluorescent black-light paint illuminated by some blacklights does work pretty well. Glow-in-the-dark doesn't. I've used a little of each on the playa before.

It really is funny - Eric and I would seem polar opposites in every way, but tend to agree on everything! Opposites attract?

Roscomake really great UV reactive paints, they're professional quality rather than just craft store stuff.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Postby tatonka » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:39 pm

[media]
" Make me strong , not to be superiour to my brothers , to fight my greatest enemy ....... myself . " Chief Dan George .

Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:43 pm

Oh great, Tatonka. Now you've got me drooling and my brain spinning.

Ugh. I'm going to have to request a quote...

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

VultureChow

Postby VultureChow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:59 pm

And this is why I come to the brain trust here. Thanks guys. I'll be experimenting with UV paints. Thanks.
Sic Semper Spectatores

VultureChow

Postby VultureChow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:01 pm

tatonka wrote:
[media]

Welp. There goes my budget.
Sic Semper Spectatores

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:13 pm

I've had some really great experiences with glow in the dark paint... however, you've got to have the right expectations.

First, it will NEVER last anything close to what they say. Second, most people who deal in lighting or glow related products have REALLY TERRIBLE websites lol. Third, trial and error.

The place to look into is called Glow Inc. They're pretty much the best performing provider out there, my guess is that they're the company who makes the powders that wind up getting used in the majority of peoples' paints and treatments. They provide some great info on their site, though from my experience the glow only lasts about half as long as they claim. My guess is that they're measuring glow with light meters, or in completely black enclosed rooms, where something you'd never see on the playa still has what's perceived as a noticeable glow. Using their longest-lasting paint, which should have lasted 24 hours, was dim by midnight and barely visible by the time the sky started lightening.

That wasn't too unexpected. I had picked up one of their little sample kits and made a little test board with the different colors and we experimented with it at home to see if it would suit our needs. That turned out to be really helpful, and saved us from spending money on a glow color we liked but that wouldn't have worked at all for our purposes.

Depending on what you're doing, you may also want to consider UV light. You could either go the direction of fluorescent/UV reactive paints and light to drive it, or use UV light as backup or to 'charge' your glow in the dark stuff. There are some pretty solid LED UV lights out there that can provide a decent amount of UV light without drawing a lot of power.

Here's a pic of my ziggurat at night on the playa... taken some well after midnight, I imagine. The purplish glow is courtesy of a UV LED flood that I have on each side of the installation. As you can see in the pic, the fluorescent-painted bits really pop nicely. If you look closely, you can see two little starburst-looking glyphs (bottom center of the panel). That's the effect of the most glowy glow-paint that charged all day and has that UV flood giving it some support.

Hope that info helps, and good luck with the project!

Return to “Power & Electronics”