Suggestions for Lighting Our Camp Frontage Display

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Re: Suggestions for Lighting Our Camp Frontage Display

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:36 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Glad you found a solution you like! How will you keep the EMT in place and upright?

BSG, we're pounding a 5' tall x 5/8" rebar into the ground 1.5', then sliding an 8' tall x 1" EMT over it. A thumbscrew near the bottom will tighten against the rebar. They wobble a bit in the wind but they're so skinny we hope they won't bend or break.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:45 pm

Oooh, I like the thumbscrew idea. And also those great sleeves with the pennants - clever!

Please update after the burn to let us know how they held up in the wind - I have an art-project-in-the-dreaming that would use a similar system and would benefit from hearing about your experience. :)
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:27 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Oooh, I like the thumbscrew idea. And also those great sleeves with the pennants - clever!

Please update after the burn to let us know how they held up in the wind - I have an art-project-in-the-dreaming that would use a similar system and would benefit from hearing about your experience. :)

I will definitely document and report back BSG! Luckily someone in our camp volunteered to weld some 1/4" nuts onto the EMT so we could screw not only the thumb screws into the pipe but also an eye screw up top which we'll thread the LED string lights through (using a caribeener).
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:16 pm

When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Jordancc

Postby Jordancc » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:50 pm

[quote="EmilyD"]

I will definitely document and report back BSG! Luckily someone in our camp volunteered to weld some 1/4" nuts onto the EMT so we could screw not only the thumb screws into the pipe but also an eye screw up top which we'll thread the LED string lights through (using a caribeener).[/quote]

How did they hold up? We're going to need some spotlights for our frontage this year. . . Research!
Pomegranates are the most perfect food.

Return to “Power & Electronics”