Disconnect battery from solar setup to use ac charger?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
jimthompsonmd
Burning Since: 2014

Disconnect battery from solar setup to use ac charger?

Post by jimthompsonmd » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:21 pm

At BM this year I'll bring my simple solar setup for some LED lights. (125 Ah AGM battery; 100W solar panel; PWM 30 Amp charge controller w/ DC load output).
I think I am going to also bring my 3K generator and an Air conditioner for my yurt.

I have an ordinary ac plug in charger (Schumacher SSC 1500A; 15Amps), and I am wondering if, when I'm using the air conditioning (3 hrs a day for a nice geezer nap?), it makes sense to charge the battery with the ac charger also plugged into the generator (At 15 amps, I'd get triple the rate of the optimum solar panel output.)

If so, should I disconnect the battery from the rest of the solar setup so that I am not pushing current backward into the charge controller, or should I just trust the controller's diode? Would a fuse add between the battery and the controller add any safety factor?

I am more or less completely ignorant of things electrical, so small words, please.
As far as (non-airconditioning) power ration in the first place, still under negotiation with my flunkies, who are more concerned with how lovely the yurt looks 8) than with how long it looks that way. :D Gonna try and hold 'em to to 50 Ah/night, but who knows...they may have to learn the dark way that the electrical grid into which they plug stuff daily has a lower upper limit when one is in the desert.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Disconnect battery from solar setup to use ac charger?

Post by Token » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:34 pm

You can safely run a regular charger to your battery terminals with the solar connected.

Both the charger and solar controller are designed with output protection circuits that prevent reverse current flow.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Yup. Ditto what Token said.

Btw: that genny is kick the solar panels ass. You could actually leave them home and not notice if you ran the genny for just 4 hours per day. Just sayin...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

jimthompsonmd
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jimthompsonmd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:24 am

GreyCoyote wrote:Yup. Ditto what Token said.

Btw: that genny is kick the solar panels ass. You could actually leave them home and not notice if you ran the genny for just 4 hours per day. Just sayin...
Thanks guys! Ignorance resolved; anxiety reassured.

Good point that I could leave the solar at home. But...
1. I have the panel and want to learn about solar, and
2. I love redundancy

While I hesitate to admit it publicly, I'm gonna bring both a tent and a yurt.
I'm gonna bring both a swamp cooler and a cheapie AC unit.

I am ashamed.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:37 am

No, you are well prepared.

No shame there.

So, whatcha doing for the rain?

Return to “Power & Electronics”