Fuel storage in truck bed?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Fuel storage in truck bed?

Post by EGAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:46 am

My Honda 3000iu quiet genny sits and runs in the bed of the truck. Up close to the cab, passenger side. Can I store my dump cans in the bed of the truck? Out next to the tail gate or even on the dropped tail gate? (with catch basin, fire extinguisher) Maybe three 5 gal dump cans.

Or on the ground, in the 'V' of my trailer frame rails? This is where I usually put them at the dunes.

I have seen many pics/video that do not follow all of the rules found here. How much are they enforced?
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=74662&p=1088105&h ... s#p1088105
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Fuel storage in truck bed?

Post by trilobyte » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:40 pm

There is enforcement, and they seem to have been stepping up their efforts over the last couple years (fuel and hazmat rules here). Personally, I'd be wary of putting both the generator and the fuel cans in the bed of the truck, because in the unlikely event of something going very badly... you risk taking setting fire to your truck.

I also recommend that your fuel (as well as your generator, if you'll be running it by day) be stored in the shade. The sun wants to cook everything it touches. I had some pond liner left over from an art project a few years ago that happens to be a fuel-safe material and put that down on the ground under my gas cans, but you could also use a cheap baby pool and come up with a fairly easy fuel storage solution.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:52 pm

Yup, Shade for the truck and gas. Kiddie pool for the dump cans. Just trying to reduce some shade setup.... ha....

Did read the Hazmat page, but posted the wrong link in my OP... DOH!

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:42 pm

the rules appear to preclude anyone from having any amount of liquid fuel, unless their camp size is at least 200' wide by 100'+ deep....since the fuel depot MUST be a minimum of 100' from any neighboring camp (cannot be next to road, so probably minimum camp size of 200' x 110' )

A corner camp could be 110' x 110'

what are camps smaller than this supposed to do?
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:51 pm

Just a guess......

As I mentioned above, There sure seems to be a lot of dump cans on the playa. I think they state the rules more for their liability. Given what one sees on pics and vids. If something happens they can point to the 'rules'..... This has been discussed on Reddit/r/burningman also. One guy brings 10-11 5gal dump cans instead of a 55gal drum and hand pump....

Go figure....

I'm bringing 3-4 5gal dump cans, stick them in a kiddie pool, in the shade locked up & call it good.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:09 pm

Major Krash wrote:the rules appear to preclude anyone from having any amount of liquid fuel, unless their camp size is at least 200' wide by 100'+ deep....since the fuel depot MUST be a minimum of 100' from any neighboring camp (cannot be next to road, so probably minimum camp size of 200' x 110' )

A corner camp could be 110' x 110'

what are camps smaller than this supposed to do?
Your "Fuel Depot" must be at least 100' from their depot, not their boundary

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:32 pm

Hey welcome to the event and ePlaya! Some of these things are not obvious until you have gone to the event.

All of these requirements flow from the permit. Law enforcement and the BLM are going to look at the event from a professional safety standpoint, not from the viewpoint of the average or virgin burner. Usually their BLM discussions are private and negotiated back and forth with the BMORG into something they think they can enforce. But last year one of the memos became public: https://assets.documentcloud.org/docume ... health.txt.

The BLM is saying "if you don't address, no event." So everything on the Burning Man website on rules which result from those negotiations is really a rule. It's not there for fun.

Just because you can find a participant who is not following the rule does not mean you cannot. And you are welcome to point out problems to the rangers - it will make an impression for someone who is doing something ridiculous to get a first hand explanation. That is one of the jobs of the rangers.

There is the impression that there are no rules at Burning Man, that is a temporary autonomous zone. The rules are minimal to micro. That makes so many unbelievably amazing things to happen, and they do!

Personally, I believe the event will end because of a death or multiple deaths which the heirs pursue in court, or more likely, a wind-driven wildfire in BRC. You probably don't want to be the cow that tipped over the lantern.

Virgins, and all, keep up your questions on ePlaya. It's a deep well of experience.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Exactly why I posted here.

thanks!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:48 pm

Thereis so much bad advice and poor decisions in this thread I cringe.

Read the rules another 20 times and just follow the instructions.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:51 pm

First let me say that I do not want to start a huge argument, far from it. I'm here to learn from all of you vets. The fact that I don't have tickets, and may not get tickets may make the discussion, as it applies to me, moot. :wink:

Some Seeing Eye:
Respectfully, I fully understand how the BLM pretty much dictates what is required to obtain and maintain the SRP. We deal with them at Glamis, CA all the time and locally in AZ when running off road races. I do not plan, nor want to be the one "tipping over the cow". I do hope BRC did improve their management for the 2015 Burn and the SRP report reflected this.

To comply with these rules each camp that stores fuel must:
  • 1. Have their fuel stored in a location 10ft from basically everything, visibly marked with caution tape or similar.
    2. And also be 100ft from any 'fuel depot' of camps around them. ie 360 degree circle.
    3. And have a 5lb fire extinguisher within 10ft of the camp's depot.
    4. And the depot must be marked off so it can't be run over by vehicles, cars, trucks and bikes.
    5. And have “NO SMOKING – FLAMMABLE” signage viewable from all four directions at the depot location.
All of this makes perfect sense.

Now back to my original question about storing dump cans in the bed of the truck. It doesn't matter that I have done it for years on the sand. And the fact many RVs, especially Toy Haulers have fuel stations on board, basically violating a couple of the 'rules' right off the bat. I probably should have reworded my post to ask;

How stringent do they enforce the fuel storage rules? Has anyone seen or know of someone receiving a warning, told to comply or get ticketed?

Lets take a look at this Zoom map of 2015. One would think we should be able to see a 10ft+ circle in each camp storing fuel right? There are a number of 'possibilities' on the 2:00 side. Not so much on the more crowded 10:00 side. Even in camps with many RVs its tough to see the depots. And I suspect not everyone uses a vendor to deliver fuel. Add this to other videos and pics I have seen showing dump cans sitting next to trucks and RVs. Some shaded some not.

So do you see why I asked? :wink: It's all part of the prep to be Radically Self Reliant right.... :D

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:21 pm

We had the inspection people come to our camp repeatedly last year, just about to the point of harassment.
So yes, they check.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Sham

Post by Sham » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:44 am

I went to the playa my first 10 years with no power. You can do it. Plan with LED lights, shade to keep your coolers out of the sun and any other contingencies you may require. I brought a small power inverter and some light extension cords to connect up to my car, just in case, but found myself rarely in my camp, and never really use the power.

With so much happening within BRC, you will find yourself not really needing to spend much time just sitting around and running a generator.

Over the many years, I tend to see first timers who laser focus on certain issues. Some dwell on elaborate shower stalls, others build amazing camp toilets. Cooling during the day is a big one. While all these things are important to address, it's extremely helpful to attend the event for the first time before going full blast with designs and reinventing the wheel.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:12 am

Huh?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:41 am

Ha! lets do a modern version..... :shock:

Return to “Power & Electronics”