Electric Vehicle Charging

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
positiveradness
Burning Since: 2014

Electric Vehicle Charging

Post by positiveradness » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:15 am

Hi awesome burner fam!

Does anyone have any recommendations for charging a 48v Lithium Ion Battery on the playa? I was hoping to do so with solar power - but any advice would be helpful!

Thank you all!

)'( <3

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Electric Vehicle Charging

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:43 pm

You are asking for a lot.

Snow Koan Solar camp has provided walk up charging in the past. I don't know the voltages they provide or the charge rate. In the past the Mobility Camp has charged electric wheel chairs for disabled participants. Some camps have large generators, they coordinate far in advance every load. If you have an art project which needs charging, the Artery may be able to direct you. Spark.burningman.org is another resource.

(Of course you could bring your EV to Center Camp and just plug it into one of the Level 2 EV charging stations there...)
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:06 pm

some seeing eye wrote:
(Of course you could bring your EV to Center Camp and just plug it into one of the Level 2 EV charging stations there...)
Yeah, but all the fucking Tesla drivers are real entitled pigfucks and hog the circuits.

Those things take forever to charge from a lowly Level 2.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:23 pm

Recommendations? Bring your charger!
If you want to use solar, bring a powerful enough solar setup to handle it.
Otherwise bring a powerful enough generator to handle it.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Dr Helix
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Post by Dr Helix » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:31 pm

How long does it take to charge it up now?
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:54 pm

Token wrote:
some seeing eye wrote:
Yeah, but all the fucking Tesla drivers are real entitled pigfucks and hog the circuits.

Those things take forever to charge from a lowly Level 2.
It's especially annoying when they sit in the car while it's charging behind tinted windows with their hookers, blow, the bass pumping and the AC blasting!

positiveradness

Post by positiveradness » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:50 am

Thank you guys!

Trying to figure out the solar panel setup or solar panel/solar generator setup that may work.

The battery itself is a 48v 11250mAh 540Wh lithium ion and the charger is input AC 100V-240V, output 42 DC42V. Generally charges in a few hours.

Thank you!

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:39 am

Charger input voltage is half the story, does it list the current (in Amps) or watts it requires?
I'm not a fan of solar at Burning Man. It's either too weak or too expensive.
And it doesn't work well at night!

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:17 am

positiveradness wrote:Thank you guys!

Trying to figure out the solar panel setup or solar panel/solar generator setup that may work.

The battery itself is a 48v 11250mAh 540Wh lithium ion and the charger is input AC 100V-240V, output 42 DC42V. Generally charges in a few hours.

Thank you!
Them numbers don't add up. If the Voltage on the battery is 48V, charging with 42V doesn't get the job done.

Just a rough guesstimate; 4 X 20W 12V panels in series with a charge controller should produce enough juice to charge that During the day.

BUT!!! You would need to either build a custom charging circuit to go direct from panels to LiOn battery or go solar-charge controller-AGM Lead Acid-inverter-existing charger to get it done and lose some juice in the conversions.

No, you can't skip the AGM lead battery.

I'd bring a generator since I gather you ain't an electrical engineering propeller head like some of us here.

some seeing eye

Post by some seeing eye » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:37 am

Guessing from the description it is an electric bicycle battery. And the Capt is right, the charger will be marked with the amps it draws at 110-120V. It is likely around 2A.

Li chemistry batteries use a constant current/constant voltage charging cycle. The first part of the charging time, the charger is delivering a constant current through the battery and will drew the maximum current from your 110-120V 60 Hz AC source. The last say 10% of the time, the current used drops off and the charger brings the battery up to full charge voltage.

So you need to bring your specific charger. Then you need to ask your power source if they can provide those amps over the charging time. The real measured charging time is a critical piece of information.

You could also contact Snow Koan Solar and see if they can let you plug in your charger - they will need the max AC amps and the max charging time in minutes.

Mr Token is correct, you are designing a whole solar system, including extra stationary batteries. An important variable is what time(s) of the 24 hour day are you charging?

If you would like to design your own system, suggest the mailing list at ae-zone.org.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:26 pm

Or you could just rent a regular "gas car" and forget all of the extra horse shit that comes with driving an all electric car into the middle of nowhere with no infrastructure...

That would be my approach.

Too many things to do besides making sure your car charges enough to make it to the pavement after a grueling 8 hr. exodus
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Itripper

Post by Itripper » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:37 am

I have a 52v 14.8 AH battery on my bike. I have a charger that has a variable 1A to 5A output to charge it.
On the 1A rate it uses about 120 watts and on the 5A rate it uses about 600 watts. I have a 1000 watt inverter and a 1200 watts of solar with me that allows me to charge the ebike battery and a 2nd 12v deep cycle battery for the bike lights.

I found that I charged the ebike battery twice a day minimum, my bike was under heavy use (multiple passengers).
Amaretto Taxi

torrey.smith
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Sextant

Post by torrey.smith » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:30 pm

My OneWheel was absolutely awesome this year. I tested it at Juplaya before deciding to bring it.

We create a buried power grid based off of a 25 kw diesel whisperwatt that we rent. That runs clean, quiet, and all week long with daily fuel deliveries from the good people of HELL.

Our neighbors had one of those RV's with a tiny and super loud gas gennie. It's hilarious when someone is banging out 3000 watts and you can hear it 2 camps away, while your 25000 watts are so quiet you forget it's running 15 feet away :mrgreen:

It's all about the distro.
Sarge

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Amen! Preach the gospel!!
That's how you do temporary power!

Return to “Power & Electronics”