50,000 FREE Solar Panels

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

50,000 FREE Solar Panels

Postby GreyCoyote » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:20 pm

Mods: I'm putting this here in Power & Electronics as an apparent best fit. Move it as you see best, and for best exposure.

To the chase: if you are a "maker", this is the gift of a lifetime. FIFTY THOUSAND solar panels are being gifted to whoever wants them. Ask and you will receive.

The catch? These are "solar shingles", and were apparently the result of a class-action lawsuit or something where a couple of houses had problems, so several hundred homes got bought-back by the manufacturer. The resultant panels that were removed are now up for grabs. The lawyers wanted to bury them, but a very motivated soul in Florida (who has the heart of a Burner, even if he has never been to, or heard of, Burningman) diverted them lawfully for gifting.

Wow. Just. Fooking. WOW!

The specs: each panel (shingle, really) is 6 volt output at about 35 watts. They look like shingles, NOT LIKE STANDARD PV PANELS. They have MC3 connectors (not MC4), and about 1 in 4 or 5 are BAD. (My understanding is the "bad" ones were damaged during removal. Actual in-service failures were apparently very rare). These units are between 3 and 5 years old and are in "as-removed" condition.

The smallest quantity that can be shipped is 100, (a full pallet) but this may change. Shipping is at actual cost, or you are free to pickup. I believe these panels are located in Miami, Phoenix, and Los Angeles.

If you want contact info for the "seller", PM me. I have not received permission (yet) to publically release the name/phone, but I am working on it.

Also: if anyone has the ear of someone high-up in Black Rock Solar, please have them contact me. My attempts to contact them have not borne fruit up to this point, but then again, its only been a few hours, so its early, and they are busy, and... :)

Disclaimer: I have no financial/legal/moral/sexual/political interest in this matter. If you choose to engage in this, your success or failure is no business of mine. I'm just passing along the info. Dont shoot the messenger (but demonstrations of "hey! Look what I made with this" at Fish Out Of Water Camp in 2017 would be really appreciated!)

Final point: if you partake, make a firm commitment to represent the Burner community in a very positive light. Dont be a pest or an asshole. Say "thanks" and "please" and maybe support the efforts of the person gifting this. The Universe is smiling. Dont shit on it.

Grey
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Re: 50,000 FREE Solar Panels

Postby ygmir » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:06 pm

very nice offer, thank you for sharing!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:40 pm

Dayyum, that's nice stuff! Not some tiny 1-3W panels, but 35W! Some 35W panels on Amazon go for like $60 ea. I wish I had the space and time for acquiring and using some of them!
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Thanks for posting this.

I'm more used to microinverters. How were these intended to be used - in strings of x volts, in parallel, or a mix, depending on number of shingles?

Black Rock Solar is easy to get in touch via BMHQ. http://ae-zone.org/ might be interested too. Florida regionals?
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Traveller in Time
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Neon Light Alley (should be: Camp Envy)

Postby Traveller in Time » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:40 am

I wish I had the time, space and location to collect the 'defective' panels.
Most likely the defects can be repaired, more or less.

One defective would be near useless though many will even give the chance to use trial and error for repair.
Dreaming a temporary world improving the default world

Not expressing yourself but embracing all other expressions is The Challenge

...I can make anything I can imagine . . . I just can't make _some_ things happen

Have some Free will

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:32 am

SSE: it appears these were made with the idea of customization in mind as to string length, power, etc. I cant find any references to pre-configured systems so apparently each installation was done on a semi-custom basis, likely with the panels wired in series-parallel, with higher voltages to a central string-type inverter. But thats a guess.

No response from BRS. But I will reach out to the folks at AE Zone. Thats a good idea.

I'm waiting for someone to slap three or four of these on a yurt with a bucket cooler and a deep cycle and call it "home" on the playa. These would be perfect for that...
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Patsh

Postby Patsh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:25 am

This is an amazing and most generous offer! :shock:

Thanks for sharing it here!!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:50 pm

I would speculate Black Rock Solar desires long life warranty panels, inverters and warranty installation. May not fit with this DIY project.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:14 pm

SSE: that is my guess as well. But I gave a shout out to them anyway. Ya never know...
(A Beautiful Mind)

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Postby Foxfur » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Any word?
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:37 pm

Foxfur wrote:Any word?

No response from BRS or AEZone. But a bunch of the crew here on eplaya have shown an interest.

Btw: now there are 2500-4500 watt grid-tied inverters available for $99. :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

GreyCoyote

Postby GreyCoyote » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Got some feedback from a friend on the panels and inverters.

Inverters: worked perfectly. Manual available on the internet. Anyone with a brain can wire them. Scratches, a few dings, and the occasional missing screw. Other than that, perfect. However, reverse polarity on the input may result in catastrophic failures (no big news there. Hehehe).

Panels: failure rate is dramatically lower than stated. Out of 60, three were bad. One was dropped (hard), and may not have survived this abuse. Voltage/current were basically within spec. There is a question about using them on a Texas structure in the 120 mph coastal areas because they only support 4 anchor points, and TWIA requires six, but then again they are not technically a shingle, so this may not apply. I reached-out to the code folks and should have an answer in the new year. If you are inland, you are definitely good to go.

Hey: Somebody poke Figjam. Seems like you could slap a trio of these on a yurt and stick a bucket cooler on them and I bet cold air would seriously happen.
(A Beautiful Mind)

Perpetual Burn
Burning Since: 2015

Postby Perpetual Burn » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:56 pm

OMG this is one of the coolest threads ever... thanks for sharing!

Solar has bee. The way to go since the Sun was invented! :wink:

PM on the way...
Love brings us Home
Hope restores our soul
We Burn on the Playa of the
Black Rock Desert
& We fear no evil
for the Man is on our side
Surely Faith & Love will follow
All our Lives
& We will dwell in the house of Love
Forever

cactussam85
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Titicaca

Postby cactussam85 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:51 pm

I'd understand if I was too late to the party at this point, but if they are still available, I'd happily take a pallet :-)

Return to “Power & Electronics”