Need temporary power into campsite.....

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
jba
Burning Since: 2015

Need temporary power into campsite.....

Postby jba » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Question, we are a good sized crew this year, 30 with at least 100 amps we need (I do not want generators to be respectful to the neighbors). Does anyone know whom to contact regarding power pulled in and set up? We have a boatload of LEDs and Projectors for our artwork. Does anyone know whom to contact regarding this setup? Thanks for any help.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Need temporary power into campsite.....

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:06 pm

jba wrote:Question, we are a good sized crew this year, 30 with at least 100 amps we need (I do not want generators to be respectful to the neighbors). Does anyone know whom to contact regarding power pulled in and set up? We have a boatload of LEDs and Projectors for our artwork. Does anyone know whom to contact regarding this setup? Thanks for any help.

Welcome to ePlaya, and to the playa wilderness! Black Rock City is off the grid! ePlaya has many camp grid done it experts.

100 amps at 120 is a large >10KW towable generator. Rental agencies have and they are sold second hand from them, construction businesses and military surplus. They are as difficult as an old car to maintain, 1000x on playa if they break. That amount of power without a generator is simply not possible.

You can negotiate shared costs with a camp with a generator and pray to get placed by them, then set up a sub grid with breakered spider boxes and manage load hogs. Or you can rent/bring your own generator and arrange fueling.

You can contact the BMORG to find if there are any outside generator vendor$ who deliver generators, set up a grid and fuel on on playa.

100 amps is a lot. Check your calculations. The more microgrids on playa, the greater the learning opportunity!
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:02 am

Well actually that's only 12,000 watts.
Hell I used to have a 12,000 watt Robyn myself.
You could bring two 6000-watt or so generators and be set. Fuel is available on-playa from Haymaker.

This is no big deal.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Postby Chowski » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:05 am

On a related note, we are a camp of around thirty people who require tents, showers, and shade for our campers, but do not wish to disturb the neighbors by driving those things in ourselves. We have great plans for a lot of parties, so I was hoping you might be able to direct me to the Burning Man person or agency who provides basic infrastructure for theme camps. Much thanks.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:40 pm

And yeah. What Chowski said.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Postby maladroit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Also have a plan for when everything fails...no power, forgot all your cables, LEDs burned up, projectors died in the dust. What does your camp feel like at that point? It's a disaster of course, but will you be able to move on? Will you have enough food stored in coolers so that you don't need refrigeration? Do you have some much smaller backup generators so you can power maybe 10 or 15 amps worth of gear?

Signed, a member of an art car team that had their art car die in the DMV line right after passing day and night permits and never worked after that.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Mutant Vehicle Rule #1. Being spare everything and every tool known to man.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:15 pm

They stopped offering that service long ago. Those damn hippies kept stealing the power poles and transformers after the Temple burned, making it hard to see the roads without the street lights.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Return to “Power & Electronics”