Best Battery to power Unicooler for the week

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
jute
Burning Since: 2014

Best Battery to power Unicooler for the week

Postby jute » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm building Figjam's larger model swamp cooler, the Unicooler, that uses a 12V solar pump and the EverBreeze 12V fan.

Anyone have a suggestion for the best battery that will likely last the entire week? We'd rather not recharge with solar or a generator so as to keep it simple. Will probably want to use the swamp cooler 4-5 hours per day.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

FIGJAM

Re: Best Battery to power Unicooler for the week

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Walmart has a 100 AH "marine" deep cycle battery for around 80$.

If you run the fan on low or medium for 4-5 hours a day, that battery should last all week.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

euphoria101
Burning Since: 2017

Postby euphoria101 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Woohoo! I was just about to do a search for this info... and then the master himself walks in with an answer!! Thanks FIGJAM!

dinko2013
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Be Bothered

Postby dinko2013 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:52 pm

I inherited a 'FigJam' swamp cooler from my friends who only used it once (last year). They used a 105 amp battery and it lasted the entire week without recharging. The battery has been stored in our camp storage unit for the past year. The unit is located in Fernley, NV (dry desert-like conditions). Do these batteries last from year to year? I understand it will most likely need charging, but I don't want to show up and have it not work at all. I thought about getting a solar power alternative, but I honestly don't want to spend $200 if I don't have to.

thanks

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:27 pm

It may have drained, but you can probably recharge it as it'll have enough charge cycles. Beware that it'll take some time to charge up, so I don't know how you're intending on doing this prior to your arrival unless you're booking a room or something.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Postby GreyCoyote » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:19 pm

To "restart" a basically new but badly discharged battery, stick it on a trickle charger for 3-4 hours until the battery reads over 12.2 volts without a load (repolarization). After this, hit it with 10-15 amp charge for 2-3 hours. This stirs the electrolyte and makes the battery ready to take a charge. Throttle back to 2-3 amps for 48 hours and then check the specific gravity of each cell. If the SGs are within a few points of each other, do an equalization charge, let it sit for a day unconnected, and then do a 50% depth of discharge at the C/10 rate.. Recharge normally and you SHOULD be good to go. Its also been my experience that a gentle shaking or rocking of the battery before the high-rate charge sequence can work wonders as well. YMMV.

Best practices say you should fully charge (and equalize) a wet lead-acid cell before long-storage, adding a trickle charge ever 2-3 months to keep it well-fluffed (scientific term).
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Return to “Power & Electronics”