How bad are Diesel fumes at BRC?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
gboehm
Burning Since: 2017

How bad are Diesel fumes at BRC?

Post by gboehm » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:42 pm

How likely is it that I will be smelling diesel fumes at my campsite?

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Re: How bad are Diesel fumes at BRC?

Post by TT120 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm

I've never smelled diesel fumes before but there are some big diesel generators out there so if you're ultra sensitive to it, you might smell it.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:28 pm

I've never smelled diesel fumes there, either.

If you're camping right next to someone's RV or someone's genny, pay attention to where exhaust and other smelly (or noisy) things are before you set up, and ask them what times of day they run their generator. Most people will try to be good neighbors and hope for the same from you.

I think the only place I notice fuel smells are right next to mutant vehicles with flame effects, or right next to fire breathers or fire dancers, but overall the air in the black rock desert smells very good, very dry, & fairly dusty. The dust has its own mild, specific scent, which many of us come to like.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:48 pm

We don't know where you are going to camp so no way to tell.

Diesel does happen on the playa. It is not that uncommmon.

The big diesel RVs, and there are plenty out there do have diesel generators.

Most places with big power needs, sound camps, large villages, DPW depot and ghetto, First Camp, Glitterati, etc will have the big-ass diesel generators.

Anyone spinning fire of any kind may use a mix of naphtha and kerosine which has a similar stank to diesel.

Lots of mega big fire art where kerosine, diesel or similar are propelled with propane and whatnot.

Giant jet engines pointed to the sky pushing through all manner of JP8, Kero, diesel, Titanium granules etc. and all kinds of shenanigans via afterburners has happened before. It was EPIC!

All of the above listed items will have the signature stench / fume.

BTW, why the concern on diesel specifically?

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:36 pm

vin.jpg
Who you call'n smelly?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:07 pm

Token wrote: Most places with big power needs, sound camps, large villages, DPW depot and ghetto, First Camp, Glitterati, etc will have the big-ass diesel generators.
An excellent point. I am so avoidant of large camps and sound camps (near my living environment, anyway) that I forget that those places have some serious fume possibilities. My first concern is actually noise, so by avoiding noise I have avoided constant fumes!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:51 pm

I've never smelt diesel exhaust on the playa unless I'm near something runnin on it. 2010 was the last time I went to TTITD and when Crystal Ice trucks creeped past our area we might have a brief wif of the stuff or if a water truck went by etc.
You're not anti diesel are you? I'm giving serious considerations to getting a 2016 or newer Chevrolet Colorado with 1/2 a Duramax.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:35 pm

Thecatman wrote:I've never smelt diesel exhaust on the playa unless I'm near something runnin on it. 2010 was the last time I went to TTITD and when Crystal Ice trucks creeped past our area we might have a brief wif of the stuff or if a water truck went by etc.
You're not anti diesel are you? I'm giving serious considerations to getting a 2016 or newer Chevrolet Colorado with 1/2 a Duramax.
I went full Duramax + Allison on a 3/4 ~ 5 years back and will never again own a gas truck. Granted, out in the sticks and having livestock, no issue in flavor Country. I offset any guilt by leasing an electric subcompact and taking all the tax credits and subsidized electric rates.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:00 pm

Preach the gospel! I gave up my big-block gas trucks for a Cummins diesel... literally twice the power, AND I get twice the MPG.

Return to “Power & Electronics”