How does one charge 2 deep cycle 12v batteries?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Mattycakes802
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Boat Rentals

Re: How does one charge 2 deep cycle 12v batteries?

Post by Mattycakes802 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 pm

BBadger wrote:Buy a battery charger, read the manual, and recharge your batteries.

You could also google it. Or Youtube it. Not-so-radical self-reliance and all that.
Did this person ask you to fucking charge the battery for them? Jesus Christ. They're asking for help with something they've never done before in a forum called "Batteries and Power." Next time you have an obnoxious house guest that you want to leave I hope they handcuff themselves to your bed and scream "Radical Inclusion" at you until you go insane from sleep deprivation.
Nice art car.

Mattycakes802
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Black Rock Boat Rentals

Post by Mattycakes802 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:45 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:Buy 2 deep cycle batteries for each day you will be at Burning Man so you wont need to worry about charging them. They will stay charged longer if you wrap them in aluminum foil & keep them in your trunk.

Oh wait, if you asked such a basic question then you may actually do that.......NEVERMIND!

(edit: The above replies were not snarky enough considering the question. What's wrong with you people? Am I still on ePlaya?)
This reads like a twitter post from a 13-year old girl, so we might have different definitions of "snarky."

Let me know where your camp is, I'm gonna come by and read the instructions to something you don't understand through a hostage-negotiation-grade megaphone until you figure out how to be nice to people with innocent questions.
Nice art car.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:39 pm

Mattycakes802 wrote:
BBadger wrote:Buy a battery charger, read the manual, and recharge your batteries.

You could also google it. Or Youtube it. Not-so-radical self-reliance and all that.
Did this person ask you to fucking charge the battery for them? Jesus Christ. They're asking for help with something they've never done before in a forum called "Batteries and Power." Next time you have an obnoxious house guest that you want to leave I hope they handcuff themselves to your bed and scream "Radical Inclusion" at you until you go insane from sleep deprivation.
Oh man, you're quite the wordsmith.

Let's recap. The OP asked:
"How does one charge 2 deep cycle 12v batteries?"
To which the answer was a perfectly formed:
"Buy a battery charger, read the manual, and recharge your batteries."
Because what else is there really to it? We don't know what charger the person will buy; different brands have different modes of operation.

After replying with all the information that was needed, I followed up with: "You could also google it. Or Youtube it. Not-so-radical self-reliance and all that." I listed means by which the person can find supplemental information, such as reviews for what are good battery chargers, on Google or Youtube.

It's not such radical self-reliance. It should be standard practice for everything.

For example, I wanted a vacuum sealer for packing my food this year. The thing is, I've never vacuum sealed anything before with one of these devices.

So I went on Amazon and looked for a well-rated vacuum sealer that wasn't too expensive for what I needed. Then I:
  1. Bought the vacuum sealer
  2. Read the manual
  3. Vacuum sealed some food
I did not go on ePlaya and ask: "oh hey, I've never vacuum sealed food before. I do I do that?" because the answer would be pretty much the procedure I followed above. Had I received specific instructions, it may not have been helpful either, since I got a different brand sealer than whatever might be the most popular version around. The buttons and operation would have been different and the specific instructions would have wasted everyone's time.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:55 pm

However, if you wanna handcuff yourself to my bed for asking how the hell you're charging them at home, be my guest.
Either me or the First Mate (depending on your gender) will have a ball with that.
Maybe I'll hook my battery charger to your nipples.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:07 pm

Admiral Fukkit wrote:Because why would you want a good charger that lets you select the right mode, when pushing a button is SO hard.
Because some of us are older than dirt and remember the solid-state chargers with no fans, no microprocessor controls, no LCD crap with animations, desulfurization mode, trickle me tickle ...

They worked for decades, rain or shine, took a beating and asked for more.

The new crap with buttons lasts a week on playa then goes up in smoke.

I blame China.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm

Mattycakes802 wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:Buy 2 deep cycle batteries for each day you will be at Burning Man so you wont need to worry about charging them. They will stay charged longer if you wrap them in aluminum foil & keep them in your trunk.

Oh wait, if you asked such a basic question then you may actually do that.......NEVERMIND!

(edit: The above replies were not snarky enough considering the question. What's wrong with you people? Am I still on ePlaya?)
This reads like a twitter post from a 13-year old girl, so we might have different definitions of "snarky."

Let me know where your camp is, I'm gonna come by and read the instructions to something you don't understand through a hostage-negotiation-grade megaphone until you figure out how to be nice to people with innocent questions.
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize you were in charge here. I'll totally change the way I respond to people in the future. Your opinion really matters to me.

Sorry guys, the gig is up. No more fun & games anymore. This is serious. There will be no levity from this point on & we need to be more sensitive.

I feel so bad.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Kkat, Have you received enough information on what to do? Seriously dude, What else are you going to do than buy a charger & plug it in to your generator? Just do it.

Figure out the capacity of your batteries and by the best charger for your budget. There are numerous types & brands of chargers available so maybe find a good brand name & call their Tech support if you don't know what you need. None of us can go shopping with you so you'll need to do a lot of this on your own. If your bored click in the Search box & type "charging". You'd be surprised how much info is already on ePlaya and available to you without any Snark.

Do a dry run at home! Drive your trike at home until it's puts a hurt on the batteries (but not too much) then fire up your generator, plug in your shiny new battery charger & see how long it takes to get a full charge. You have plenty of time to do this at home before you leave. It's better to find any problems in your driveway than in deep Playa.

Have you considered a 3rd battery that can limp your trike home if you push your luck too far? Do you have to have a Plan "B"? Hauling your generator & charger out to your dead trike is a pretty shitty Plan "B". I have to agree with all useful tips that Muddycakes gave you, Oh wait, Yeah about that......He totally forgot to be useful in any way.

So, your good now right? I have 2 paralleled deep cycle batteries cooking away on a generic mid-priced charger right now & it works great. Don't over think the obvious. Do it, if IT doesn't work do something else. Repeat as necessary.

Please don't start your next thread with "how do I use a generator" :oops:

Generator + battery charger + trike = cruising Playa style.

And lighten up, you don't have to be thick skinned but you do need to have a sense of humor & not take yourself too seriously. The first 3 replies you received where sound advice. The fourth reply, well that guys an asshole so ignore him.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Post by Admiral Fukkit » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:19 am

Mattycakes802 wrote: I'm gonna come by and read the instructions to something you don't understand through a hostage-negotiation-grade megaphone until you figure out how to be nice to people with innocent questions.
That would definitely get, uh, results.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 am

Admiral Fukkit wrote:
Mattycakes802 wrote: I'm gonna come by and read the instructions to something you don't understand through a hostage-negotiation-grade megaphone until you figure out how to be nice to people with innocent questions.
That would definitely get, uh, results.

Results yes. Desired results? Meh.

Do they even use megaphones for hostage negotiations anymore? That's so last century. I'd think they would use cell phones & robots.

OMG! Hostage negotiation Killer Robots are going to descend on my camp & teach me a thing or two.
-- To be honest, I could stand to learn a thing or three.

Return to “Power & Electronics”