Solar Power tutorial

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
asr9754

Solar Power tutorial

Postby asr9754 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi! We made an online tutorial for a Solar Panel station.
I don't think I can put the link here directly because it has referred links to buy parts online and technically that's "Advertising", so if anyone wants the tutorial send me a direct message and I'll send the website. It turns out to be relatively simple once you figure out the components. Cheers!

badscr
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Solar Power tutorial

Postby badscr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:40 pm

thank you for the link to "theplayalabs"

badscr
Burning Since: 2018

Postby badscr » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:49 pm

lot of good information here theplayalabs.com

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby some seeing eye » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:10 pm

We have many great solar power on playa threads on ePlaya and many very bright experienced in all things playa energy!

Some non-commodified suggestions:

Visit the Alternative Energy Zone village 6:30 and E on playa before purchasing your playa, RV or even home PV system, make friends and keep in touch. AEZ 2017 tour schedule https://playaevents.burningman.org/playa_event/6668/. Even visit them if you have or have started a system. (The "AEZ" is also expert on concentrating solar, solar ovens. Those solar showers are solar too!)

Many cities have maker spaces and DIY experienced solar people who love to help, free!

Many product lists and Hardbore Freight include panels selling for over $1/Watt. Consider monocrystalline panels sub- $1 down to $.40/ Watt and dropping. Include shipping costs in your cost valuation.

Many solar electronic modules, like inverters and chargers have quality problems and die a premature death, right when you are counting on them.

Understand the don't drain below capacity of your batteries, and how to measure and manage.

Fuses, breakers and wire gauge!!

Understand insolation + panel angle and true - not magnetic orientation for location time and date. Build a sturdy rack, chain down to prevent theft, dust off those panels early and often.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Power & Electronics”