Battery/Solar Problems Lighting Art Installation - need help!

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
likewize123
Burning Since: 2013

Battery/Solar Problems Lighting Art Installation - need help!

Postby likewize123 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:39 pm

Hello beautiful Burner community,
This year I took on the undertaking of leading both an art installation and a theme camp (first time doing either) and I'm having issues with my solar regarding the installation. Feeling extremely overwhelmed.
I'm working with 2 Chauvet Colorstrip LED lightbars and 4 Lixada DMX-512 RGB LED par cans.

My calculations are as follows -
Power Consumption: Chauvet Colorstrip LED's (each) running 72 W, 0.6 Amps @ 120 V x 2 = 144W, 1.2 Amps x 12 hours =
Total = 14.4 Ah needed per evening PLUS Lixada DMX-512 RGB LED High Power Stage PAR Light running (each) 15W (no amp specs) x 4 =
Total 60W x 12 hours = guessing around 8Ah needed. This brings totals for all 6 lights to let's say 25Ah giving a buffer (right?)

I plugged everything into a Bestek 400W inverter, 12V inverter connected to a Universal UB121000-45978 12v 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery and all 6 lights didn't last more than 6 hours. If I can technically drain the battery to 50% that should give me minimum two 12 hour nights of power right!?

Any help is appreciated. Been reading forums for hours and feeling overwhelmed.
Thank you kindly.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Battery/Solar Problems Lighting Art Installation - need help!

Postby BBadger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:17 pm

No, that's not right. Those lights run at 120V, not 12V. The power comes from 12V batteries and passes through a converter (inverter) to make it 120V. The amount of power used remains the same however. Power = Volts * Amps. To compensate for the greater voltage at the load at the same power, the amount of current used at the 12V battery source must go up. What used to be 120V x 1.2A = 144W, is now 144W = 12V x 12A.

So your batteries are draining 12 amps to power that 144W (assuming 100% efficiency, which is not possible). Add in your stage lighting and it goes up even more.

If you only want to drain your battery by 50% (50AH), you'll have only have 50AH / 12A = ~4 hours per day, per battery, to run just the strips. You may have gotten more from that depending on the average brightness of the lights throughout the night, but 6 hours or less sounds about right.

I would probably invest in a generator and use that instead. You could also buy more batteries and solar cells to recharge the batteries if you have enough solar capacity.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:30 am

Read this! "A Burner Analogy For Understanding Electricity"
https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?t=65368

Go to the original post in that thread, if that link doesn't take you to it automatically.

likewize123
Burning Since: 2013

Postby likewize123 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:05 am

Thank you kindly Bbadger and Admiral! I was not understanding this (somewhat basic) calculation at all. Makes a lot of sense. Want to stay away from generators but sounds expensive to do it with battery power. I appreciate your time and knowledge

Return to “Power & Electronics”