JBL eon618s: are they durable enough for the playa?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Cory5000
Burning Since: 2012

JBL eon618s: are they durable enough for the playa?

Post by Cory5000 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:53 pm

I want to bring a JBL eon618s sub for the camp this year. Has anyone used these out there before? Just wondering how they hold up.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: JBL eon618s: are they durable enough for the playa?

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

That exact model? I dunno. However, people bring subs like that all the time and they fare okay. Be mindful of the sound policies.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:04 pm

If you bring it, plan on it being utterly destroyed by the end of the trip, then rejoice when it does well and survives.

Never bring anything you can't afford to lose.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:32 pm

I've been one of the sound geeks on ePlaya, because I'm a reformed sound geek.

If you are bringing a professional piece of equipment like that, you should bring a professional sound pressure level meter, not a $20 uncalibrated eBay one from China. In fact every sound camp should have a professional solution!

I would recommend a calibrated Dayton IMM-6 or the more expensive MicW 436 with a foam windscreen along with the !!!FREE!!! (your government at work) NIOSH app for IOS.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/noise/app.html

Then you should run your sound system at or under 90dB at 20 feet from the speakers measured as the highest reading between A, C & Z scales in the app, as Mr Badger notes. Keep in mind the Mr, Mz and Mx Bass Sluts dancing in front of your speakers are getting over 114dB, probably enough energy to create a baby.

If you are going to bring such a fancy system, you might look into the DBX subharmonic synthesizer in the Driverack series. But that may be capable of destroying your speaker in the 24-36Hz range - don't use that range.

Also that is a vented box, therefore dust will be sucked in, get on the circuitry and likely get in the delicate in and out parts of the expensive 18" driver. We do not recommend getting dust on any delicate parts.

More background:
https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blo ... ound-apps/
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Return to “Power & Electronics”