Cruise America RV + Your Own Generator?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
revolvr

Cruise America RV + Your Own Generator?

Postby revolvr » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Hey all,

I've searched the forum for this answer but couldn't seem to find an answer.

Has anyone rented a Cruise America RV (or other), but brought along their own generator? I've noticed the outrageous $3.50/per hour pricing on their generator use, and already have access to my own generators.

I'm just not 100% sure of the possibility of hooking up your own. It seems theirs is built into the RV, so do you need extra cables to re-wire from the RV to a generator outside of it? etc?

Just curious if anyone's done this before with any of the RV rentals. I may just go down to the rental center and see for myself.

Thanks in advance!

FIGJAM

Re: Cruise America RV + Your Own Generator?

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:10 pm

If your genny is big enough you should be able to plug it in to the RV hook up as though you were in an RV park.

May have to rig an adaptor.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Postby Token » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:59 pm

The RV shore power plug is different than what most gen-sets have so you may need to have converter plug or cable to plug in.

Most RVs have a 30A plug of some kind or another.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 pm

I've noticed that a lot of Burners come from El Monte
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Admiral Fukkit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm going to Hawaii instead

Postby Admiral Fukkit » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:16 pm

That $3-$3.50 an hour generator charge is pretty much standard in RV rental.
Yes you absolutely can plug into your own generator.
Use the "shore power" cord that the RV uses to plug into a campground power pole.
If it's a moderate sized rig it'll have a 3-prong "30 amp" 120-volt AC plug, if it's a really big RV it'll have a 4-prong "50-amp" 240 volt AC plug.
Neither will plug directly into the generator (with rare exceptions) because those plugs are specific to the RV industry, but adapters are available.
You can get away with a simple 30-amp to 20- amp adapter plugged into one standard household style 120-volt outlet, but if you've got a big RV with the 50-amp 240 plug, you have decisions to make.
You can get adapters to plug into a generator's 30-amp "twist lock" outlet, or even go all the way down to a standard 20-amp household-style outlet like the smaller ones - HOWEVER, you will be limited in what you can run. You won't be able to run more than one air conditioner at a time, or run different high-power things at once like microwaves, A/Cs, coffeemakers etc.

You can get proper adapters to connect a big RV's 4-prong 50-amp plug to a bigger generator's 240-volt AC outlets if you want to power the whole thing up

Bless
Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bless » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes, I've run a Cruise America rental off of an external gennie.
FUCK YOU, I'M A WIZARD. FUCK YOU, I'M A SHARK.

revolvr

Postby revolvr » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:02 pm

Totally insightful and the info I was looking for! Yes the Honda 5K generators we've got have those 30amp outlets. So it's the "shore power" route.

Thanks so much Admiral Fukkit and everyone else! :mrgreen:

Return to “Power & Electronics”