Generator rental and delivery

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
Popeye
Burning Since: 2013

Re: Generator rental and delivery

Postby Popeye » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:54 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Popeye wrote:Just a thought, and I know it is blasphemy to some :roll:, but probably the easiest way to reduce generator load is to ban air conditioners. Have a build night for RV owners to build swamp coolers and run them off wall warts.

No one asked how to reduce power needs.

When a camp says “we want to set up this much power, to run these things” the answer isn’t “well don’t run those things”.
The answer is “here’s how to set up that much power”.

Swamp coolers make too much moisture for the inside of an RV, and don’t even begin to compare with A/C. The domain of the swamp cooler is a less sealed structure like a tent.

The OP didn't say he was coming in an RV. He said he might want to run a "huge ass airconditioner". I've seen AC in domes, tents, hexayurts and RV's.
The OP said he was concerned with the weight of a 3kw generator. I can sympathize. The easiest way to reduce the weight is to reduce the size of the generator, which means reducing power needs.
If you are using an RV for a week of highish humidity, for part of the day, it is not going to hurt anything unless your RV is already moldy. In fact you may be more comfortable and more rested and be able to better enjoy your burn if you have a chance to get off the dry playa and enjoy some moist air.
nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:12 pm

Snickerdog you mentioned a Shiftpod.
Is that what you’re actually using? If so and you haven’t bought one yet, ripoff alert! Ripoff alert! Those things are a fund raiser for Shift camp. Way way overpriced.
Those are well suited to using a swamp cooler... except what the swamp cooler proponents like to overlook is the water consumption for anything but a tiny bucket-cooler.
A big swamp cooler will consume more water than the generator will consume gasoline - and you can buy gasoline at the Hell Station at 10:00 outside the perimeter road. You can’t buy water.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:21 pm

Can anyone (even a solo camper) purchase gasoline at 'Hell Station'?

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 pm

I’ve only been there in my mutant vehicle but there was never any form of approval, you just show up and get in line. I always also filled up a whole bunch of gas cans.
I think if you can get there, you can buy gas.
The line is usually very long and very slow, but hey it’s black rock city.
Bring shade and beer.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:48 pm

What is the method(s) of payment?

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Another thing to consider, if you're not a placed camp, you would be finding a spot to camp once you get to the playa to set up your tent. The delivery of this generator would most likely have to have a location prior to the driver heading out for the delivery. (spotty or no cell phone service) As mentioned above, continued gasoline would be an issue. If I recall correctly, artcars can register for gasoline, but don't think you can have walk-ups getting gas. I may be wrong on that, as I have always brought enough gas for the week.

Captain Goddammit

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:36 am

There’s no pre-registry for gas. They do have a pre-registry that serves to help estimate how much demand there will be. Cooperating with that is polite but there’s no list you have to be on when you show up. You just get in line. I can’t remember if they were set up for credit cards, cash certainly works.
There’s no on-playa rental delivery of small gas generators, that’s a non-issue.

Return to “Power & Electronics”