BRINGING A GENERATOR??????

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
artcrash

BRINGING A GENERATOR??????

Post by artcrash » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:23 pm

:twisted: Bring something to keep the noise down so your fellow burners do not assault you! Believe me as a veteran burner I have spent many wasted hours trying to figure out a polite way to alert my neighbors of the horror a non stop generator noise and pollution. (Actually come to think of it there have been moments when the polite part was impossible.... )
There are many ways to construct a noise reducing enclosure. Sound board screwed to a frame of 2x4s with a slight bit of a hole for exhaust works great. It is cheap and your neighbors will love you for it....
IF by some chance you are thinking to yourself that I am just a whiney bastard...well you could be right. But there again, you could also think about the hundreds of whiney bastards out there that might unite to become generator destroying ZOMBIES...turning YOUR GENERATOR into A USELESS HUNK OF METAL! there are many ways to silence a generator.......That being said, the serenity of the desert at certain times of the day and even the cacaphony of sounds is part of the experience. Something most would pick when given the chance to choose between that and a nasty generator......[/b]

mamagrrl

Re: BRINGING A GENERATOR??????

Post by mamagrrl » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:12 pm

artcrash wrote:...hundreds of whiney bastards out there that might unite to become generator destroying ZOMBIES...turning YOUR GENERATOR into A USELESS HUNK OF METAL! there are many ways to silence a generator....
Ahem.
It should be noted that Bleach (useful for keeping down smells from greywater evaporate) will KILL a gasoline engine, when poured in the gas tank. As in, seized up tight and un-redeemable.

Interesting bit of trivia, that.

Be neighborly.
And polite.
at least at first.

Tafkah

Post by Tafkah » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:31 am

Required reading for anyone bringing a generator:

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ators.html

The little Honda EU series generators are awesome! Super quiet, low exhaust emissions, low gas consumption and very reliable.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 am

[quote="mamagrrl"]Ahem.
It should be noted that Bleach (useful for keeping down smells from greywater evaporate) will KILL a gasoline engine, when poured in the gas tank. As in, seized up tight and un-redeemable.

Interesting bit of trivia, that.
[quote]

Does this post advocate sabotaging generators? Hmmm...having camped not far from Center Camp last year with all those "Lanceland: We Power the Playa!" logoed super gennys cranking 24x7, I wonder how the LLC would feel if you poured bleach into their fuel tanks? What's the difference between their genny and mine? Are you going to sabotage theirs too? Hmmm...it makes me wonder. Again, what's the difference? Who are you to come around and say what's too loud, or to put your hands on someone else's property? Anyone sabotaging generators is IMHO scum, of the same level as the people that sabotage art. I make no distinction.

If it's loud and obnoxious treat it like the LLC recommends handling large scale sound complaints. Ask the owner to take remediation steps first, maybe bring a Ranger in to mediate the dispute if talking gets you nowhere...but anyone taking matters into their own hands needs to take that long ride to Lovelock to face charges for destruction of property....which considering the cost of some of those generators should bump it into felony range. I know that's harsh..but that sabotaged generator may be running someone's APAP machine or oxygen generator and you could be putting someone at risk of medical complications.

P.S. I've turned on all my options and quotes still don't work right.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:35 am

Kinetic IV wrote: Does this post advocate sabotaging generators?
Actually, it doesn't.
It does, however, seem to have pushed one of your buttons. Jumpy today?

Knowing the adverse effects of an item doesn't mean you're going to implement it! There are *so* many easier ways to sabotage a camp, should someone be so motivated, that knowing about bleach is hardly going to be the defining motivator. FWIW, a rebar puller pulls rebar. (watch out for all the mad stake pullers now!) Jumping on tents can collapse them! Opened cooler lids melts ice! Knives cut speaker wires! Air valves on tires! They exist! ...goodness...the anarchy we'll have now that everyone knows! Run! Run, everyone!

...and fwiw, the Center Camp generators were diesels and huge. Bleach ruins GASOLINE engines. Do you have any idea how much bleach it would take to knock out a (gas) engine that size?!! Gallons and gallons! To knock out a diesel engine, you just add water. (remove the water, it'll run again.)
P.S. I've turned on all my options and quotes still don't work right.
That's because the
at the end of your chosen phrase should have had a backslash in front of the word quote. /quote, but enclosed by brackets. Make sure the backslash is there and your quotes should show up fine.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:41 am

Girl, You heed a pill for your extrem thinking.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:58 am

(laughs)
I think it's called a lobotomy?

The guy who came to fix my ancient stove had a trepannation.
That was pretty wild.
Big indent in the top of his forehead.

Nice guy and knew his old stoves backwards and forewards.

Kinetic IV

Post by Kinetic IV » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:37 am

Yeah, you hit a major hot button on this one. But you went back and explained your comments which cools things down.

As for the tags I used the quote button...no manual coding. It's a system glitch or so it seems.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:44 am

mamagrrl wrote:(laughs)
I think it's called a lobotomy?

The guy who came to fix my ancient stove had a trepannation.
That was pretty wild.
Big indent in the top of his forehead.

Nice guy and knew his old stoves backwards and forewards.

~
So that's what is all the dents in my head. They were fishing for my brain. Have five major dent and a steel strap in the old noggon.

mamagrrl

Post by mamagrrl » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:10 pm

Kinetic:
So still use the quote button, but before hitting send, just look to see if there's a /slash in front of the last [quote]... If there isn't, add one. ...and now you're coding.

Unjonharley:
Will really strong magnets stick to your head?
That'd be cool, and if they do, it would really open some hairdressing possibilities other folks couldn't take advantage of...

...instead of collagen implants, plastic surgeons'd be doing steel implants and hair doo-dad companies would attach magnets to all their stuff. If you were bald, you could have magnetic poetry all over your head. People could arrange verse on you.

Right.
We're back to that lobotomy thing again, aren't we...

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:17 pm

Aaayup

artcrash

maybe you missed the point.......

Post by artcrash » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:57 pm

The reason I posted this thread is to raise the awareness of the generator types....to try and instill the old spirit of cooperation. Not really to threaten others with generator harm....But somehow it seems everyone is stuck on that issue....Use some common sense do something to keep the damn noise down and I won't do anything....but offer you a drink and a little smoke....! :P

XS

Generator noise

Post by XS » Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:55 pm

It's unfortunate the thread was skewed. The terroristic threats don't seem terribly helpful. But here's some helpful hints. Besides sound baffles around "gennies," two words... EAR PLUGS. Bring your own to be sure, but how about buying a bunch in advance and gifting them to your neighbors in the spirit of community and cooperation. You know there gonna want to run an AC cord, or want to charge some batteries, or whatever. So let's make nice and share our resources so that all my benefit somehow. Much love kids.
Too much is never enough.

Vego

Post by Vego » Sun May 29, 2005 9:56 am

In all my research trying to find a QUIET generator to power an air conditioner for an escape for my wife, who will be 7 months preggers when the man burns, I've found Yamaha has the quietest stand alone units, but Honda has the best designed and long lasting generator. Now if you get into the RV units the price doubles and triples but they run at lower RPMs and are for sure the quietest if you figure out Decibal per Watt. The only problem with that is that the smallest RV generators are around 5500 watts, larger than a lot of the stand alone units available. I think Onan running at rated load is 68 dB for 5500 watts while Honda EU2000i is 9 dB less at rated load with 59 dB at 7 meters but way under half the output of the Onan. This all jusy stuff I dug up on the net. I don't have any experience with the quiet generators but I use the Honda construction grade ones at work...which I wouldn't want to subject my neighbors to. I'm planning on buying the EU2000i for this year but I have to talk to my campmates as this is my first year and I'll be in their established camp.
If your not having a good day,
You're taking too much for granted!

Return to “Power & Electronics”