Securing your generator.

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Securing your generator.

Post by BaudEByter » Thu May 17, 2018 1:17 am

I was looking for a way to secure my Honda generator and ran into something called a LowPro Lockdown. You basically secure a baseplate to the Gen, then the other to a surface and then the two lock together, hiding the mounting bolts. I thought that I could mount the base to the Playa with lag bolts. Anyone try this?

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Securing your generator.

Post by Token » Thu May 17, 2018 7:13 am

Nope, too much effort for what amounts to casual theft of opportunity.

Simple cable lock to the truck gets it done.

Anything more than that and your fear owns you.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 17, 2018 9:37 am

There are all kinds of security systems for Honda generators, and on the whole it might be an investment to consider - they're high value targets. If you plan on using it a fair bit at off-playa events you might still want to consider something fancy, but otherwise I'm with Token - I've only ever used a simple cable lock.

Generator theft does happen on the playa, but it's not rampant. In most cases, it's in a situation where somebody's gone and put their generator a distance from their camp, away from all other structures, and it's sitting there out in the open, all on its lonesome, easy to spot and see how closely it's watched by a would-be thief. High value, easy target - don't do that. With a quiet generator, you don't need to keep the generator removed from the camp, tucking it behind your group or between/behind vehicles will do. A sound baffle is another good consideration - not only reduces noise to you and your neighbors, but suddenly Mr. Jerky has no idea what kind of generator you have unless they're brave enough to risk coming all the way into camp just to get a look. Not so easy a target. Add in a cable lock, and not only is it an even harder target but it's game over unless they just happen to be wandering around with the necessary tools.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 am

They make a spiffy steel reinforcing bracket for Honda generator handles. It would deter a thief from hacksawing through the handle to free up a locking cable. Attached with security bolts. I have one on each of my generators...but I never leave them in plain sight and unattended. I'm not marketing these babies, just showing what's out there.

Not to derail thread, but there's lot of inexpensive hour meters that inductively count the firing pulses to the spark plug and convert that to hours of operation. Makes it easy to schedule maintenance.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Thu May 17, 2018 10:51 am

Token wrote:Nope, too much effort for what amounts to casual theft of opportunity.

Simple cable lock to the truck gets it done.

Anything more than that and your fear owns you.
I couldn't agree more. Token is absolutely right. Anything more paranoid and the terrorists have indeed won.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri May 18, 2018 6:12 am

bury it.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Power & Electronics”