Controlling LEDs over Wifi?

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
aireq
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: The Beach

Controlling LEDs over Wifi?

Post by aireq » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm working on the LEDs for an art projects this year. My plan is to control a number of addressable LED strips wirelessly over a local wifi network. Each strip would be controlled from an ESP8266 based MCU (NodeMCU is what I'm using now). These would then connect to a single wifi access point. Control signals would then be sent to all the strips by a Rasbery pi or some other small low power computer.

From what I can tell from their Github site this is similar to how the Tree of Ténéré was setup last year, but they were using Ethernet for each branch.

https://github.com/treeoftenere/Branch- ... rmware.ino

Our project has three separate parts and I would like to be able to have all the lights in sync with out having to dig trenches for for wires.

Has anyone done something like this before with Wif? I don't need that much range, maybe 50 ft max. I'm just now sure about other factors like interference from other signals out their or the wind and dust come into play.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Controlling LEDs over Wifi?

Post by Token » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 pm

WiFi is sketchy out there with all the GoPro gizmos and whatnot.

See if you can nab some 900Mhz Ubiquiti gear or similar. Tune the power down and there you go.

Check with the BORG if they are registering 900Mhz out there.

There is another thread somewhere here mentions radio registration. Search a bit.

Return to “Power & Electronics”