Hot tub on the playa

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
azebb
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: None.

Hot tub on the playa

Post by azebb » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:56 pm

I am thinking of bringing an inflatable hot tub. I have 2 small very quiet generators that are house inside a sound absorbing box. They are going to provide electricity for my tents portabe AC unit and possibly a coleman hot tub. I have inquired and found that water can be provided at a high cost. I am using environmentally safe treatment for it. Has anyone done this before. Any better answers for agua. This will basically be my bathtub for post playa cleanup and relaxation. Thoughts or ideas or has this been done..

Jackass

Re: Hot tub on the playa

Post by Jackass » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:09 pm

azebb wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:56 pm
I am thinking of bringing an inflatable hot tub. I have 2 small very quiet generators that are house inside a sound absorbing box. They are going to provide electricity for my tents portabe AC unit and possibly a coleman hot tub. I have inquired and found that water can be provided at a high cost. I am using environmentally safe treatment for it. Has anyone done this before. Any better answers for agua. This will basically be my bathtub for post playa cleanup and relaxation. Thoughts or ideas or has this been done..
It has been done, it will make and become an absolute disaster of a mess, things like this have been subsequently pretty much banned.

One little leak in that thing and you'll have a slick-as-grease mud-hole that a small car could get stuck in

Read that there first timers guide book if you would...
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Ummm.... Have you been to the Burn before?

Anyway, how do you plan to dispose of that used dirty water? How will you protect it from constant blowing dust (exposed water will be filthy)? How will you prevent splash over eroding the playa underneath the tub?

And, yeah,
viewtopic.php?t=70764
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Dr. Brap
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Camp Chirp Chirp

Post by Dr. Brap » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:53 pm

This would violate some health code statue. Pools, etc are not allowed at Burning Man...but rules are meant to be broken, right?! Stick it in a big tent and don't tell anyone about it and you'll probably have a pretty sweet situation!
Burn Burn yes you're gonna Burn.

Sham

Post by Sham » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:56 pm

Welcome to eplaya.
Please read the First Timers Guide in my signature below.
The simple answer is "this is not a hot tub event". Because of health and sanitation reasons, you can't make this a public tub. If you want to personally wallow in slimy mud, that's up to you, but make sure you haul every last drop of that ass water home with you.
I hope this info helps.
See you in the dust very soon.
Sham....

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:16 pm
... How will you protect it from constant blowing dust (exposed water will be filthy)? ...
And playa dust contains its own collection of bacteria...
blown in or washed off of people.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

azebb

Post by azebb » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:23 pm

TY all great info... As for keeping it clean it will be in a room sealed from the main part of the tent , the tent has a separate entrance/ mudroom. So it has 2 barriers. Then it will also be covered. It will be private. Me my girl and any cute friends she makes. I am probably being naive and will regret it forever but if it is against the rules then I must at least try. I have flex tape for leaks . I am certain we have all seen the infomercials so I am clearly safe there.I have a tank on my trailer to remove my matter. And thank you lonesomebri. The splash I had a poor plan for but will place a kiddie pool drip pan under it.
Wish me luck. Or better yet talk me out of it.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Well, if you get caught, or have a spill, let us know how much the fine was and how long it took them to remove you from the playa after they took your tickets and banned you.

Make sure you have med insurance.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

azebb

Post by azebb » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 pm

Well crap.. Y'all convinced me. Seemed like a good idea at the time, thats why they have these forums.. What about my stripper pole in the middle of my tent. Yes / no. What did I not think of on that. My design will only require a 3 inch hole in the ground about 2 feet deep.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:52 pm

azebb wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 pm
What about my stripper pole in the middle of my tent. My design will only require a 3 inch hole in the ground about 2 feet deep.
If your goal is to add to the thousands of youtube videos with stripper pole fails, keep the camera running.

Sham

Post by Sham » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:24 am

A stripper pole is a great idea. You might consider a large, wood platform and set it up in your camping area. You could set up events in your camp. I have seen some amazing pole dancers at Burning Man. The stripping part of pole dancing is something more for a cheap adult club in the gritty side of a city, but the actual dancing is an amazing art. Expect a lot of fully clothed people to try your dancing pole. :lol:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 am

It can and has been done. Jason Lapeer used to bring one inside a bus (he actually built four different ones).
But it’s not as simple as your plan, which will be a disaster.

As mentioned, you need a way to dispose of all your water, which is a service that can be had (Burning Man is starting to suck, there shouldn’t be ANY services) but it’s something you need to have arranged. You can’t just dump it out. Or do what I do and bring several large waste water drums on a trailer and haul out your own dirty water.

You’ll need a very, very effective water filtering system.

Using it as your bathtub is a horrible idea. That will work once.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:24 pm

Just off the cuff, the Coleman portable inflatable 4 person hot tub spa model 13804 holds 210 gallons of water.

So that's probably in the ballpark of what you're looking at. If you can handle that volume, all the power to you, big ups, and I'm jealous. I definitely see the attraction of a hot soak, throw in some tub time for two and I'm downright supportive of the idea.

But I'm way too lazy to do anything about it.

I'd say bring lots of filters. Like one a day.

azebb

Post by azebb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm

Final answer it is allowed for private use not public. Water must be delivered which can be arranged, grey water can be removed via water service. Can it be kept clean? It will be in a tent. Covered while not used. Mosquito netting for some assistance. 20 filters for the event. Pre hot tub shake and blow before entering the tent.
Will I do it? Nope. Too much work to spend more time in my tent instead of exploring. Will I regret it. Almost certainly.
See you in a month

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:35 pm

If you really want to soak after a hot day on the Playa...

... build some amazing big-ass art for BM. Work your ass off for two weeks before gate and drive your sore bones to Trego as many nights as you like before the closure order kicks in.

Or go early July

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:56 pm

azebb wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:00 pm
... Can it be kept clean? ...
Any dust on you or in the air while in use, and you're going to be introducing playa bacteria, micro aqua-fauna dead body parts (and possibly eggs) and droppings from migratory water-fowl.
It would take quite the protocol of showers, path to tub, etc..

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 am

Before you guys who haven’t done it say it can’t be done go back ten years and read about Jason quite successfully doing it.
Search eplaya lapeer20m or eplaya jacuzzi bus and read all about it.

It can be done and it has been done it’s just not as simple as this original idea of tossing a portable spa in a tent.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:47 am

There's a difference between: can't, shouldn't and high-risk.
And what city size with how many road-watering trucks depositing on BRC roads.

F it up, and you've got how many gallons of very non-potable water on the playa. Do you have the means to clean/restore the affected playa, or will you get fined & removed, or get fined & removed anyway.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:29 am

Agreed 100% but there’s one more option, “well thought out plan”.
I’ve always planned on bringing a hot tub in an enclosed trailer if I ever didn’t bring my boat, another difficult-as-hell thing that no one should do. I think bringing a hot tub would be easier than a medium-sized MV, all things considered.

But, it still doesn’t get filed under “easy”.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:58 am

Playa approved and tested hot tub:

Turn of the century design that is proven and reliable.

Hairy ass not included.

On sale now!

Return to “Power & Electronics”