Fuel Supply when coming from afar.

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Fuel Supply when coming from afar.

Post by BaudEByter » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm

If someone is coming from afar and needs to fuel their generator I would imagine they would have to buy fuel containers when they land and fuel up for the drive in. Hell station is not an option so my question is...if people are buying fuel containers, what are they doing with them afterward? If they are shipping empty ones on a container truck, I imagine that would be an issue shipping them back because of the vapors.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Fuel Supply when coming from afar.

Post by BBadger » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:37 am

Maybe find out what they're doing with the generator itself? They can vent and leak. See if a local place rent gas cans too.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 am

Why isn’t Hell Station an option?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am

I don't think Hell Station is an option for campers not operating a mutant vehicle, an org vehicle like a fire truck or DPW, or some other permitted operation. I don't think they want people driving all the way out there in their POVs just to get 5 gallons at a time for their personal generators.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:05 am

Molotov wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:55 am
I don't think Hell Station is an option for campers not operating a mutant vehicle, an org vehicle like a fire truck or DPW, or some other permitted operation. I don't think they want people driving all the way out there in their POVs just to get 5 gallons at a time for their personal generators.
This. Hell station is NOT for the average camper. You can only get fuel if you're part of the ORG or have a previous contract with them for your MV.

Do NOT try to drive out there and fill up your gas cans. You wont like the results.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:26 am

You need to preregister to get fuel at Hell Station. It's meant to supply larger mutant vehicles. My modest size art car (with a 6 gallon tank) is not something that could use them for fueling up. Certainly gas cans for generators are a definite NO!

As far as what to do with empty gas cans, offer them up to neighbors that you made friends with. They cost short money and someone who drove there could use them.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:01 am

Have any of you ever actually been to the Hell Station?
‘Cuz you’re not describing it the way I’ve always experienced it!!
They don’t look you up on any goddamm list, you don’t have to have any registration.
They have that preregistration business to get a rough idea how much fuel to have on hand.

I always fill up gas cans there, although I’m carrying them in on a mutant vehicle.
Just go with your cans and and ask someone in one of the MVs waiting in line if you can hop on and load your cans when he’s getting his fuel.
It’s a long boring line, good company is usually appreciated.
So is food and cold anything.

They haven’t ever given a flying fuck who you were or what the fuel went into (I mean, not a paper bag, but anything that properly holds fuel).

TT120

Post by TT120 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 am

Yep, went there last year. They were NOT happy to see me or my gas cans. They ran me off and threatened to have the cops pull me over. They said it was only for the ORG.
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 am

BaudEByter wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm
If someone is coming from afar and needs to fuel their generator I would imagine they would have to buy fuel containers when they land and fuel up for the drive in. Hell station is not an option so my question is...if people are buying fuel containers, what are they doing with them afterward? If they are shipping empty ones on a container truck, I imagine that would be an issue shipping them back because of the vapors.
So, after much thread drift ...

Your best bet is to give the cans away before leaving.

As you may have picked up by now, not many folks go shipping generators cross country.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am

TT120 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 am
Yep, went there last year. They were NOT happy to see me or my gas cans. They ran me off and threatened to have the cops pull me over. They said it was only for the ORG.
What?? It’s never been for the org.
You do mean the one out at the end of 10:00, right?
And you do probably need to bring them aboard an MV.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:26 am

I'd say try again this year, but bribe them with something super cold to drink, perhaps an ice towel like they do out on the golf course... Their attitudes may well change. They can't be that big of pricks.
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:56 am

Bribery on the playa is not only common, it's expected. Bring good bribes! 8)

TT120

Post by TT120 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am
TT120 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:32 am
What?? It’s never been for the org.
You do mean the one out at the end of 10:00, right?
And you do probably need to bring them aboard an MV.
I thought it was at the end of 9:00 but it was probably 10:00. I was pretty hung over. Also, I was not in an MV so that may have had something to do with it.

W6BJD

BaudEByter
Burning Since: 2021

Post by BaudEByter » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Token wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 am
BaudEByter wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:28 pm
So, after much thread drift ...

Your best bet is to give the cans away before leaving.

As you may have picked up by now, not many folks go shipping generators cross country.
Yeah, I thought it would be more common.

Return to “Power & Electronics”