Diesel Fuel Delivery for Esplanade Camp

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
johmathe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Distrikt

Diesel Fuel Delivery for Esplanade Camp

Post by johmathe » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm party of a fairly big camp - this year we got placed on esplanade. We have a 25KVA generator and will need regular refuelings. Previous years we were on the grid and didn't need to prep electrical that much in advance. Registration from BRC Petrol is closed - I've tried to email them 10 days ago but still don't have any answer.

I've also contacted alledged third party fuel deliveries but they told me they deliver BRC petrol which then delivers the playa.

My back of the envelope calc shows that we will need about 3 to 4 50 gal refills during the week. We can't obviously keep large amount of fuels on site.

What do you guys recommend for fuel? Going out of the playa at the gas station and refill?

Thank you for any tips - greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Johan

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Re: Diesel Fuel Delivery for Esplanade Camp

Post by Token » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Oh, fuel delivery for cams is available from the BORG:

http://bfy.tw/JDsP

You do need to register with the BRC Fuel program so get to it! Times a running out.

johmathe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Distrikt

Post by johmathe » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:23 pm

I did do this exact search - unfortunately registration closed on Jun 15 for delivery services. Hence me asking here :)

Token

Post by Token » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:07 pm

Well, a 25KVA diesel will drink ~ 1 gallon per hour at 1/2 load, double at full load.

I’m guessing you need 2 drums and a transfer pump in a big ole pickup truck.

Fuel storage is well documented on the main site and 110 gallons is the limit.

https://burningman.org/event/art-perfor ... t-storage/

So, do the maths, plan a fuel run to Gerlach after you go through your first 100 gallons and hope 200 will be enough.

Think of this as an opportunity to get buckets of ice cream mid week.

This wasn’t your “you had one job” moment, right? Play that ice cream angle up and get some fresh produce too. ;)

AddamsonFlint
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: The Flint Fix-It Fort

Post by AddamsonFlint » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:03 pm

I ran into this same dilemma when designing my camp. I had two drums and my transfer pump, but my calcs didn't have me making it through the week.

I thought maaaybe I'd find some nugget on the BM site about some sort of special permit exceptions. I mean, big camps draw big power. 110 gallons seems like a lot to some, but not to them. But no, there are no exceptions.

I'm sure this is for good reason, and Token is the type of gearhead meets madd scientist veteran that can probably give thee exact answer why this is the case. But I think there should be one, for those that are fire-qualled or have cert's.

Flint.

Token

Post by Token » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:19 am

There are ways and fuel delivery is available but like all things BM there is a deadline to sign up for the service and it passed.

If you missed the deadline, you get to do it the old way, like we did turn of the century. Go get it yourself in 1000# batches.

Like I said, it ain’t a bad thing if you embrace it and make it a journey. Adds to the flavor.

Return to “Power & Electronics”