Generator in a cargo trailer

A place to discuss all things involving power and technology (including cameras). Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self, sound systems and more.
MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Generator in a cargo trailer

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 pm

Thinking that throwing our Honda 2ks in our U-haul cargo trailer (the closed box-style one) would be a pretty good baffle box. We'd crack the door for ventilation, but not open it fully (for sound dampening). Seems like a pretty solid, half-assed baffle box, no? Risks/thoughts? Grounding?

Clearly someone will die if they sleep in there, so we won't have people doing that :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Sham

Re: Generator in a cargo trailer

Post by Sham » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:15 pm

What could possibly go wrong? :shock:

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I don’t see why not, just open the door a good amount rather than a crack or the exhaust will overheat them. I’ve run mine in the back of a pickup with a canopy shell at home during power outages, but I left the hatch open.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:38 pm

Please remember to fill the trailer with pillows and stuffed animals before you fire the generator up.

Call your camp “Suicide Club”.

It will be a gas!

OK, now that I got that out of the way...

I’d worry about two things, heat build-up and the trailer resonating.

Cap’n covered the heat issue. Keep that door open.

Resonance is a hit and miss and not much to be done about it. Try it before you load up and see if it amplifies the hum.

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:20 pm

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I wonder if it may make it worse, actually (at least in the direction of the opening). It'd sorta act like a cone for the sound to amplify in a direction rather than disperse everywhere. Long as there aren't any inherent risks besides those mentioned, seems like worth testing out. As long as we can point the trailer opening to our neighbors, I see no issue! :)
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:19 am

The vibrations might be amplified through the body of the trailer unless it also has some decent mass. Honda 2ks aren't really that loud anyway; sound may not be a problem anyway.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Zubeneschamali
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm

Multiple Honda 2000's in something like a 6x12 enclosed Uhaul. Probably with a roll up door, but possibly with the barn doors....

Well, first off make sure that all refuels are done with safety in mind especially if you're running more than one at the same time.

I'd bring an electric fan for circulation, an LED worklight, and a leafblower. Got power in there anyways and not using the space for anything else so why not make it easy on yourself.

You'll probably experience some echo in that box. Hanging canvas tarps down one or more sides will help baffle sound. The Uhauls have front & side rails all the way up to the roof so plenty of places to clamp.

If you're going to service fluids on playa that's the best place ever. Easy clean up floors, one wipe and you're done.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:27 pm

Zubeneschamali wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:22 pm
If you're going to service fluids on playa that's the best place ever. Easy clean up floors, one wipe and you're done.
That paragraph has so much potential...

Return to “Power & Electronics”