dust masks

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ak01

dust masks

Post by Ak01 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:42 pm

I'm looking for a way to incorporate my dust mask into my costume. I found some "biofilter" cyber masks (totally costume, no functional purpose, that I might be able to stuff a normal ACE dust mask into for filteration. Or I was thinking of using a half face painters respirator and decorating the hell out of it. Any suggestions?
-Ak01

Dork

Post by Dork » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:59 pm

Depends how much filtration you really need, I suppose. Personally I rarely wear a mask and when I do, it's a sleeve off an old t-shirt. I don't need total filtration, I just want to reduce the volume a bit and keep the wind from blowing stuff directly into me. Other people have resperatory problems that require something more heavy duty.

So... I say prep the inside of the mask so you can swap out the filter element or not use one at all if you just want to use it as a costume. Bring a few different elements with you - furnace filter, cotton, paper dust mask, etc.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Quite frankly, in a whiteout I can't see an inch past my nose, let alone the cool costume/mask you are wearing, but if you insist...

Dork said some good stuff. I will add that a bandanna does the trick very well. If you need extra filtration, a wet bandanna does even better. Rinse-reuse and it cools you off.

I do not like commercial filtration products because I also wear goggles at the same time and only a bandanna allows me to exhale downwards with no back-pressure. This limits fogging of the goggles.

Whatever you choose, be sure to wear it a bit around the house and see if it all works. Gives you time to fix stuff before you really need it.

MozyBonz

Post by MozyBonz » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:03 pm

Respiratory problems.
yes I had a scary moment on playa last year.
Couldn’t breath in a dust storm. I had got a mask I thought would work
But the fit was not right so I had to labor to breath in it. That started a coughing fit as I walked across open playa. My respirator meds were in camp. Didn't think I was going to make it. Bump didn’t either with the look on her face. Fit and type of mask is important if you have respiratory problems. Wear the mask at home in the house for a while
to see if its going to work for you.
Don’t wait to test it on playa in a dust storm.

A bandanna would have been good for me as a back up. I had nothing to go to when the first one failed.

Teo del Fuego
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Teo del Fuego » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:11 pm

Ill second or third what's been said before: dust mask is the most overrated item on a packing list. I have allergy-induced asthma and always carry an inhaler, but have never had any problem breathing playa dust. For those occassional dust storms, a bandana worked just fine until I could find some shelter.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 pm

I found that the cheap dust masks I bought at the hardware store worked better than the fancier, more costly ones. So did a bandanna, for that matter. Apparently problems with the dust vary considerably from person to person, so it is hard to say what would work best for you. (To be honest-- I'd had some experience with the cheap-type of mask, which might be a factor in why I was able to get it to fit, and, therefore, to work, better.)

Anyway, if it turns out you are like me, you should be able to get away with carrying a pack of the cheap dust filters for sale in any big box hardware store (Menard's, Farm & Fleet, Ace, etc.), just so long as you remember not to pinch the nose piece too tightly. More important for me were the goggles-- I got some really nice off-roading goggles (which fit well over my glasses and had foam which made for good, filtered, air flow) for cheap off a close out table at a Home Depot (which is the only time I have found what I was looking for at a Home Depot, but that is another story.)

I don't know as any of that is helpful. Mostly I just wanted to share my experiences.

Good luck! Say "Hello!" to the dust for me!

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

Rusted Iron

Post by Rusted Iron » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:36 pm

I found that the cheap dust masks don't seal well and don't last long. I bout a 30 pack of the slightly more expensive ones and have never had a problem with them.

I do have asthma, and find that the playa dust, unfiltered, is a perfect trigger for bronchospasm. It doesn't actually have to be an allergic reaction, like in many asthmatics, but coughing just due to irriation, can set off an attack.

BAS
Burning Since: 2006

Post by BAS » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:13 am

I found that the cheap dust masks don't seal well and don't last long. I bout a 30 pack of the slightly more expensive ones and have never had a problem with them.

Yeah, experiences do vary quite a bit, which is why the dust mask questions are hard to answer. Probably the best advice was to bring an assortment and see what works best.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch

CapSmashy
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Post by CapSmashy » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:41 am

Anyone thought of using Shemaghs?

I'm bringing a few out.

They are readily available all over ebay and military surplus stores in more traditional patterns or just make your own out of any 46" by 46" inch piece of lightweight fabric.

And how to tie one.
http://www.bellum.nu/armoury/shemagh.html

bohemian dawntreader

Post by bohemian dawntreader » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:58 am

Shemaghs...excellent idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phil

Post by phil » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:51 am

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”