protecting those feet

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Brother_JR

protecting those feet

Post by Brother_JR » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:35 pm

My boot just bit the dust after 8 years with the entire sole coming off. I was wondering how important good boots are on the playa? I was checking out some kick ass boots that are made for desert and sand. Think I should drop the $120? I mean they will get plenty of use back home I'm just working on budgeting myself pre-burn...
JR Jennings

DoriumLux

Post by DoriumLux » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm

No, I doubt you want to drop the $120 when you haven't even figured out that scholarship and low income tickets are all done for and you have to pay the $260+ or whatever it is to get in now...

ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Post by ibdave » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Just make sure you start wearing them the day you hit the Playa.. The dust for some reason "Breaks" them in just right... You'll be glad you did...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

SonOfUgly

Post by SonOfUgly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:36 am

boots and shoes on the playa :roll:

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 am

SonOfUgly wrote:boots and shoes on the playa :roll:
gold bond, socks and sandels twice a day.

Brother_JR

Post by Brother_JR » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:40 am

Yeah I figured I would purchase a pair and start wearing them everywhere I go to break em in a little before I hit the great wide open.
JR Jennings

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:49 am

those 120$ desert boots are great. if you can get a pair with the gortex interior, even better. you might be able to knock a couple bucks off the price by checking ebay...but kinda hard to get shoes from the net /shrug
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 am

ibdave wrote:Just make sure you start wearing them the day you hit the Playa.. The dust for some reason "Breaks" them in just right... You'll be glad you did...
Lies! Break em in first.
At ease, troop.

Are those Danner boots?

Plenty of expensive "boots" out there. Only one Danner, baby.

Lord Of Ruin
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:23 pm

I've had a pair of Bates M-6 Assault boots I bought for the event.

The entire "M" series are about the same...with the number denoting how tall a boot it is.

These are extremely comfortable boots, and I am generally on my feet out there for about 12 hours a day working Gate and Perimeter, which is why I abandoned my hiking boots for these.

They breathe very well and are perfect for a desert climate. The front tongue/collar area is a bit stiff when you first get them, so be SURE to wear them in first at home to soften that up. The rest of the boot (footbed, etc) is incredibly comfy and supportive from the first moment you put them on.

I bring 2 pairs of cheap white athetic socks for each day and change them morning and night. No playa will touch your feet following this regime!

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:12 pm

And Thorlo socks rule the roost.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Lord Of Ruin wrote:I bring 2 pairs of cheap white athetic socks for each day and change them morning and night. No playa will touch your feet following this regime!

LoR
Sage advice there, that what I did, as well as using shea butter, and a couple of nice cold water and vinegar bath's. Dog! those felt great! :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:25 pm

*yawns*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:39 pm

Dr. Martens work boots aren't too shabby. & you can get them for a good price on E-Bay.
don't forget to floss

CalebCamera

Post by CalebCamera » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 am

if the sole is failing, any local shoe store will re-sole.

Ugly Dougly

Post by Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 am

Wear high heels, Mary.

Homiesinheaven
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Homiesinheaven » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:39 am

sounds like a lot of money that can be used for something else. i guess it's worth it if you're going to be on your feet a lot or working. last year i wore my old comfy Converse One Stars the whole time and my feet were great.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:59 am

CalebCamera wrote:if the sole is failing, any local shoe store will re-sole.
Maybe. If you can find a local shoe store, which isn't a big chain. And all the shoe repair places are closing as the aged gnomes who have the magic shoe mending powers retire or die. Face it, today shoes are yet another item made of planned obselecence.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Burp!

Post by Burp! » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:32 pm

I don't know but boots seems a bit overkill, a good pair of sneakers I think will do.

ProTip #7634 Preserving your feet out on the playa: Morning ritual

To be done when you wake up and are lounging around your camp
Ingredients: Disposable Aluminum Turkey bin thing(leave the turkey at home), Dr. Bronner's soap, clean pair of socks, skin lotion

Step 1: Drain the melted ice water from one of your coolers into the turkey bin thing
Step 2: Pour in Dr. Bronner's soap. Keep bottle handy so you can read it while you soak
Step 3: Put in feet. It's going to be cold, but hang in there
Step 4: When done, remove feet, dry, lotion, put on clean socks

Do this and your feet will thank you. trust me, my feet are still thanking me.

T.

mojo

Post by mojo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:36 pm

Homiesinheaven wrote:sounds like a lot of money that can be used for something else. i guess it's worth it if you're going to be on your feet a lot or working. last year i wore my old comfy Converse One Stars the whole time and my feet were great.

Holy shit, that looks like a Wookie in tennies! (Sorry Homies - that's what I look like if I don't shave for a week....)
Cum catapulte proscripte erunt tum soli proscripti catapultus haebunt.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:18 pm

I had the official BMOrg playa first aid course last weekend, so now I know it all. <smirk>

According to the instructor, a long-time burner and head of EMTs (or something), playa powder is a base, the opposite of an acid, and it burns your skin just like an acid. To treat your skin (feet, hands, whatever), first remove the powder. When the powder mixes with a liquid (sweat, tears, saliva, mucous, sun tan lotion), it can cause burns on whatever it's on. So remove it. To reverse the action, add an acid (to reverse a flame burn, add cool water, to reverse an acid burn, add a base) - he suggests 1 part plain white vinegar to 3 parts water. Dry the skin. Assuming it's not a bad burn (and it's likely not), add moisturizer at night and sleep in it. Adding moisturizer before you head out may cause playa powder to stick to your skin and become moist, so use your judgment.

The evidence of a base burn on the playa is a crack in the skin that's black and doesn't bleed - the burn cauterized the wound. That's what I get in my feet if I don't wear shoes and sock - your mileage will vary; some people are not affected at all - lucky devils.

The instructor recommends washing, adding the vinegar solution, and drying at least once a day; moisturizing at night when you've hit the sack.

People's tolerance varies. I've seen people out there for the week barefoot with no apparent problems. Me, I get the deep black cracks in my feet, and it hurts; I wear shoes and socks, no problems. I wear vans canvas loafers, ankle-high hiking boots, and mid-calf hunting boots to mix it up. My feet seem to appreciate the change in shoes as much as the changes in socks. I never wear the same pair of shoes two days in a row, letting them dry and air out between wearings. Your mileage will vary.

Read all these posts and try them all to see what works for you.

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 pm

what Phil says!

also I can recommend this stuff I found and used to great success last year to block the playa from getting into the skin to crack it. "SkinWear" soil blocking skin gel. Haven't seen it in a store, available on-line here: http://www.skinwearsd.com/index.html (I've no connection to them but love the product. playa tested on my hands and feet)

edit to ad: deal on ebay, and no I've no connection here either but am going to buy a few extras for playa sample use 8)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hand-Sanitizer-Skin ... .m20.l1116
Burning Man 2003-18; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

BurningJim

Protecting your feet

Post by BurningJim » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:32 am

My converse All-Stars, with extra arch support, worked great.

My daily foot regimen is:

1) Spray a vinegar/water solution on feet and legs-up to knees, wipe off.

2) Spray a pre-mixed solution of "No-Rinse" soap on feet and legs-up to knees, wipe off (I have a pack of washcloths from Costco I use for this)

3) coat feet with "Bag Balm"

4) Coat inside of clean socks with "Bag Balm", put them on your feet

5) Go to sleep.

Vinegar, or Acetic Acid, neutralizes the Basic playa dust. The No-Rinse soap is available online and at most camping supply stores. The Bag Balm is completely absorbed by morning, I wear these socks all day until I shower in the late afternoon, (after my solar shower bag warms my shower water). Yes, that adds up to two pairs of socks/day. I also suggest removing any foot callouses you have before you leave for the Playa. An emery board works fine for that.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:50 am

I've seen many riding their bike and wearing boots of different varieties and extremes and it don't look comfortable. I just wear an old pair of New Balance sneakers. I have an old worn pair of steeltoe Red Wings I'll take this year and give them a try.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 pm

edit. double post.
-AJ )'(

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:30 pm

Yea phil's method works wonderfully. What I do is the vinegar foot bath, every few days, and before I go to bed I moisturize the footsies and then put on a fresh pair of socks right before I go to sleep to hold the moisture up against my skin. I wake up and they are good as fucking new. Also having a few different kinds of shoes is nice. Your feet enjoy the small changes. Good to have 1 pair of boots, shoes, and sandals. Nothing beats walking barefoot though. :wink:
-AJ )'(

Lord Of Ruin

Post by Lord Of Ruin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:55 pm

[quote="Burp!"]I don't know but boots seems a bit overkill, a good pair of sneakers I think will do.

ProTip #7634 Preserving your feet out on the playa: Morning ritual

To be done when you wake up and are lounging around your camp
Ingredients: Disposable Aluminum Turkey bin thing(leave the turkey at home), Dr. Bronner's soap, clean pair of socks, skin lotion

Step 1: Drain the melted ice water from one of your coolers into the turkey bin thing
Step 2: Pour in Dr. Bronner's soap. Keep bottle handy so you can read it while you soak
Step 3: Put in feet. It's going to be cold, but hang in there
Step 4: When done, remove feet, dry, lotion, put on clean socks

Do this and your feet will thank you. trust me, my feet are still thanking me.

T.[/quote]

Welll...the boots/socks thing might be overkill. But then again we don't need to do the turkey bin bath thing daily either. Just change socks and go.

LoR
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion - W. Blake (attribution corrected)

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”