Dust Masks

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Dust Masks

Post by geospyder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:08 pm

If needed, I plan to use a 3M 8511 Niosh dust mask. Think two would be enough?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Totally depends.

LostinReno
Burning Since: 2009

Post by LostinReno » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:07 pm

Depends might work! :wink:

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:08 pm

LostinReno wrote:Depends might work! :wink:
Very, very good. I bet they sell a lot of those in Reno. :->

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm

Two cannibals are discussing dinner when one asks "What do old people taste like?" The other answered "Depends."
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

Artemis

Post by Artemis » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:26 pm

2 is probably enough but depends on how careful you are with it when you're not using it. Last year there was a period of about 5 hours of on-again-off-again dust storms on Saturday. I'd take the mask off, put it back on. At one point in time someone spilled a beer on it while it was off. So then out came mask #2.

It was also handy to have a few extras to gift to others that may have forgotten to bring theirs when they left camp.

Or having multiple nose coverings is good too. Some people prefer bandanas. I alternated and liked that I had the option.

Dork

Post by Dork » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:29 pm

I brought masks similar to that my first couple of years and never used them once. They seem to become moop more than they are used for their intended purpose.

The sleeve off an old tshirt or a bandana are all most people need. If you have a sensitivity to dust then go ahead and bring one. Otherwise I'd say save your money.

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:40 pm

I'll bring four plus I also have half dozen masks that hospital personnel use. I can gift those out for people in need. For my eyes I have military dust goggles. As a gift for those that might need it I'll also carry a pair of swim goggles. I'm in the midst of packing so I'm going crazy trying to anticipate what I may or may not need even after all the months of reading and making lists. Only four more wake ups!

phil

Post by phil » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:06 pm

> Only four more wake ups!

:->

Have fun and see you for years to come.

teardropper
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Post by teardropper » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:16 am

Post Burn: I brought a contractors pack of ten, like those at the top, for the two of us and used four. Bandanas worked most of the time but a couple of times they were much appreciated. Especially the night of the Burn. Quite dusty. I'd bring a couple to carry in my pack in case of white out.

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:20 am

dust masks are over rated. You cant even smoke while wearing one...
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

LostinReno

Post by LostinReno » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:19 am

Fire_Moose wrote:dust masks are over rated. You cant even smoke while wearing one...
LOL! :lol: :lol: I just used a bandana/scarf this year, next year I will invest in something like whats shown above. I'm finally getting over the playa hack, but that could be more from the smoking, since I smoked a whole lot more than normal.

geospyder

Re: Dust Masks

Post by geospyder » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:11 pm

geospyder wrote:Image
If needed, I plan to use a 3M 8511 Niosh dust mask. Think two would be enough?
This mask worked great - only thing I suggest are straws for drinking :lol:

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:59 pm

LostinReno wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:dust masks are over rated. You cant even smoke while wearing one...
LOL! :lol: :lol: I just used a bandana/scarf this year, next year I will invest in something like whats shown above. I'm finally getting over the playa hack, but that could be more from the smoking, since I smoked a whole lot more than normal.
Yeah, part of me is tempted to recommend that smokers bring more than they think they will needs, because cigarettes seem to get awful scarce by Saturday.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TomServo
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Black Rock City Assholes Union Local 668

Post by TomServo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:54 pm

Try a 3M respirator...the rubber ones. Should only need one set of filters for the week. I use a full faced gas mask, but then I have a fetish for gas masks. What you posted should be fine, but I'd personally go for something more durable.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:48 am

A bandana was fine for me, until Friday-Sunday, when I was very pleased to have my (woodworkers) respirator. That and the goggles allowed me full freedom to walk around - albeit blindly - in the dust storms.

I don't know if just a mask like the one in the OP would have worked - for me.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:19 am

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

camp-photon

Respro is crap sorry...

Post by camp-photon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:49 pm

Those Respro masks are not good in my experience. First of all they smell like toxic neoprene and as any surfer knows, that stuff does not breathe at all.

Second and more importantly, the fancy exhale valves come off very easily and get lost rendering the $50 mask useless.

The metal nose clamp hurts like hell when you add goggles.

I would recommend that people avoid them for Burning Man or any other use.

camp-photon

Post by camp-photon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:57 pm

Bandanas may make you look like a cool cowboy, but do you think they are really filtering the tiny dust particles you find on the playa? Not a chance. They blow right through and end up deep in your lungs for later use.

Different people have different levels of sensitivity to the dust. Some years for me have been worse than others. Several of my friends from this year got Playa Lung and are still hacking now, three weeks later.

After 11 years, I can only recommend commercial masks you would use for allergens or sanding. The ones with the exhale valve (pictured above) are much cooler and therefore better in the desert.

Four or five of them should get you through the week.

I only had two because my $50 "reusable" Respro failed before the first use. Some angel near center camp was passing out masks as a gift and really saved my bacon. The one he gave me looked like a surgical mask. It fit over the ears and was very comfortable and effective. I used it for 2 days.

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:25 pm

TomServo wrote:Try a 3M respirator...the rubber ones. Should only need one set of filters for the week. I use a full faced gas mask, but then I have a fetish for gas masks. What you posted should be fine, but I'd personally go for something more durable.
This is what I used, the drinking tube is nice, fits nicely into a canteen with ones beverage of choice. Only complaint is for the tube to be a bit longer. At least thats what she said :wink:

http://www.imsplus.com/israeli-army-m15-gas-mask.html

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

sambojones

Post by sambojones » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:20 pm

i used the respro sportsa mask that jk linked to and it worked like a fucking charm and was way better looking than any other masks i had seen out there. it was also comfortable as shit i plan on either getting a new filter for it and using it next year or just cleaning the one that's already there since it seems like it still has lots of life left
does this water taste like raspberries or am I still fucked up...oh wait it's raspberry flavored water

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:53 pm

Sail Man wrote:
TomServo wrote:Try a 3M respirator...the rubber ones. Should only need one set of filters for the week. I use a full faced gas mask, but then I have a fetish for gas masks. What you posted should be fine, but I'd personally go for something more durable.
This is what I used, the drinking tube is nice, fits nicely into a canteen with ones beverage of choice. Only complaint is for the tube to be a bit longer. At least thats what she said :wink:

I use an east german m-10 with drinking tube. Thinking of fashioning an around the neck canteen for it.

Absolut Jeenyus

Post by Absolut Jeenyus » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 am

Cheap painters masks, even the ones with the lil plastic filters aren't all that great. They are kind of half ass. They are cheap, easy and great to hand out to people during a flash dust storm. But as for a personal piece of gear to carry around, I always opted for the plain old bandanna, handkerchief or even better those big two tone middle eastern scarves. I think they are called yashemaghs. Its those scarves that cover your head, chin and neck, everything but the eyes. They work great, keep you from inhaling dust and they keep you cool. You can also soak them in water and they keep you chill for hours.
-AJ )'(

cullen

Post by cullen » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:19 pm

shemaghs works really for me, keeps dust out and sun off my head and neck and they are only like $3

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:15 pm

TomServo wrote:
Sail Man wrote:

I use an east german m-10 with drinking tube. Thinking of fashioning an around the neck canteen for it.
Just found a few of those online, price ranged from 12$ w/o tube to 80$ with, though I found it for 40$ at Maine Military Supply. I like the idea of hanging the canteen higher. As well, I could rig it to my web gear on one of the suspender straps, hadnt thought of that. I was planning on trying to add to the tubing but was worried that I wouldnt get the connection airtight. Raising the mount up would solve the problem.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

TomServo

Post by TomServo » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:54 am

Maine Military is where I got mine. Think it was on sale for $20. Need to get the hood for it, for night time use.

Filters are a pain to change. Thinking of bringing a spare mask.

Wulf

Post by Wulf » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:43 am

I used that style of dust mask this year and it worked just fine. I brought three and only used one all week.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”