Kilts ! yay or nay?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
dougaldutch

Kilts ! yay or nay?

Post by dougaldutch » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:40 am

Welcome from the wastelands of Scotland. The plan is on losing my BM virginity this year and was pondering on whether to take my Kilt. It is however a solid 7 yards of wool and the traditional method to deal with heat is to leave off your keks (pants) but this technique has been untried in desert conditions. Anyone able to comment, OK, comment based on experience and not just fancying a giggle.

Also was thinking of dragging some ceilidh action over and seeing if I couldn't introduce some highland dancing to the playa. Can provide the proper ceilidh music, dance instruction and a god almighty decent time, what are the chances?

Lee

P.S. Before anyone makes the comment, a kilt is not a tartan skirt. Thought best just to clear that up :D
I'm off my tits on Happiness!

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:52 am

I don't have any experience with kilts in the desert, but whatever you do, don't starch it first! (if you were so inclined). REF: calsur's excruciating description of his starch in the desert experience on page 5 or so of the "Nudity and Nervousness" thread.

I'm a BM newbie as well, so I can only offer limited advice. I can say though, after having lived in nearby Las Vegas for three years, that a full-on kilt garment consisting of seven yards of wool is going to be hot as fuck. Dude, you're gonna roast if you wear your garb in the daytime. However, it's a bit cooler at night. So your kilt might be appropriate "evening wear."
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

DVD Burner

Post by DVD Burner » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:56 am

:lol:
[url=http://www.digicastinternational.com][img]http://76.14.56.240/digiweb/button10.jpg[/img][/url]

"[i][b]The art is in the digit![/b][/i]"

[url=http://eplaya.burningman.com/search.php?search_author=THE+ORIGINAL+DIGIMAN]The Original Digiman[/url]

Icepack

kilts

Post by Icepack » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:01 am

I've seen some cool Utilikilts out at Burning Man. They have nice big pockets in them, and seem pretty durable for being on the playa.

I say YAY to those.
Icepack
ladyicepack@yahoo.com

Zephryus

Post by Zephryus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:14 am

Dude, with those random, sudden, 100kph playa gusts, there's no reason not to bring a kilt.
In all seriousness though, while I am also a newbie, I've been doing a fair bit of research since I got my ticket. As it turns out, guys have been showing up in kilts for a few years now and they're considered excellent playa wear, with the top benefit being good ventilation followed closely by, um, "easy access."
HOWEVER,
The kilts worn on the playa are almost always referenced as being American-made out of lighter, more breathable fabrics than tartan wool. I would second the notion that you'd be crazy to go out in the middle of the desert heat wearing an insulating fabric. But around, say, dusk, it should be much less of an issue. Plus, you'd definitely get points for sporting the real thing. I say bring it.

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:39 am

I was thinking I may be slow roasting some nuts under my kilt if I wore it as day wear, might look into a more lighter version. However if I go down that route then it will be a make your own job, shops here tend to sell the full wool jobs as looking for the extra insulation over here. Still if I make it myself then I can put a few pockets on it as Icepack suggests and all the ventilation any self respecting set of genitals could want.

Want to really take the kilt but it is a weighty beast so was just looking for encouragement/ support that it wouldn't be a suicide trip to take it onto the playa.

Now I just have to figure how to get a haggis into the country and how to deal with temperatures I can't even imagine let alone handle and all my woes are over.

Lee

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:55 am

I totally second and encourgae the "making your own possibly outof lighter fabric" idea. Trying to weigh it in my mind--the "real" thing might be good when it's cold/at night, but would it be worth the effort to drag it over here...? Dunno. What if it pours down rain? & yards of wool in the rain and playa mud wouldn't be fun, I don't think. Although maybe kilts have some sort of built in rain rellant being from Scotland an all... :)

highland dancing? I'd be interested.
Haggis? No fucking way. :)

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:00 am

RingO'Fire wrote:However, it's a bit cooler at night. So your kilt might be appropriate "evening wear."
I'm not one to normally pick nits but since you are a confessed virgin I'll make this clear: sometimes the evenings are not a bit coller -- sometimes they're downright frigid. I believe evening temps can dip into the 40s. That's probably balmy for dougal but he may find some thin-skinned 'mericans trying to share that kilt with him, if they come unprepared. (which may be all the encouragement he needs to bring it!)

anticdevices

Re: Kilts ! yay or nay?

Post by anticdevices » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:03 am

dougaldutch wrote:Anyone able to comment, OK, comment based on experience and not just fancying a giggle.
This may be a stretch so far as 'experience' goes, but I wore my black leather kilt (ok, tartan skirt or whatever) several nights & was quite comfy. It was too heavy for day-wear though. For day-wear, tartan skirts/Utilikilts ROCK. Mega comfy/convenience factor.
dougaldutch wrote:Also was thinking of dragging some ceilidh action over and seeing if I couldn't introduce some highland dancing to the playa.

Way cool, I'd be all about it. Last year we stumbled across The Paddy Mirage, an irish bar on the Esplanade. Turns out they were a theme camp and they had a website, if you wanted to check them out. If they're on again this year, you might find it (depending on your resources) most managable to schedule your ceilidh (or several) there.

As an aside, *IF* I make it this year, I was planning on bringing a whisle or two. If you're thinking about live music, I'd love to know about it.
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention - Henry V, Prologue

Zephryus

Post by Zephryus » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:06 am

I don't think it's hard to get into the US with a British passport. (Just remember to take off your belt and shoes before you go through the American metal detector. Trust me.) Oh, and as for the heat: Sunblock, water, and booze abused in the right proportions will make you forget all your woes. Just remember that it's BYO.

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Thu Mar 25, 2004 7:41 am

It's taken a few centuries but kilts are fairly waterproof and dry much quicker than expected (as I found out this new year after an incident with a big puddle, a fast car and me paying no attention where I stood on the kerb).

Customising a cheap kilt will probably be the best option, it can get trashed and binned if it comes to it. Then to really get into the spirit probably make my own sporan, something garish, spiky and involving goldfish possibly.

I think I wlil take the proper kilt, but only if Alpha promises to scare up some sharing partners for me, there is a full 7 yards goin' beggin.
evening temps can dip into the 40s
why that's a perfect summers day here.

As for the ceilidh, I will look into the Paddy Mirage, cheers anticdevices. Due to travelling limitations though was going to get my mate who is in a ceilidh band to knock toegther some tunes for me. I then just act as a caller bringing the whole thing together. Bring your whistles though, an impromptu ceilidh music session has very good potential for raising hell.

"forward..2..3..4,
back..2..3..4,
grab your partner..2..3..4,
SPIN ! ..2..3..4
and pick yourself off the ground"

Lee

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:37 am

dougaldutch wrote:but only if Alpha promises to scare up some sharing partners for me, there is a full 7 yards goin' beggin.
Would that I could, my friend, but I suspect your kilt will attract more attention than my humble desert garb ever has.

Last Real Burner

Scottish Rights...

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:44 am

Try here http://www.utilikilts.com/

plaidly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:13 am

make my own sporan, something garish, spiky and involving goldfish possibly.
Now we're talkin!

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:14 am

Mr Smith my eyes have been opened today, just need to try and smooth talk them into giving me a discount. Although some of the camp posing they use in some photos is doing them no favours. Something to consider if money allows

Lee

fancy1

Post by fancy1 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:28 am

Dougal,

By all means, PLEASE wear your kilt. Be it your wool "evening wear", or a lighter version or utilikilt during the day. I'm one that truely enjoys men in kilts! So much nicer to see a man in a kilt then one with a shirt and no pants at all.
Last year there was a gathering of the kilts by the man for a large group photo op. Yea, I was a spectator there, and grinned for quite a while afterwards!
Hope to see yours there.
Fancy
"the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"

Alpha

Re: Scottish Rights...

Post by Alpha » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:48 am

[quote="Last Real Burner"]Try here http://www.utilikilts.com/

Y'all are tougher than I... I don't like to have my genitals exposed while ARC WELDING!

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:48 am

I'm surprised that Utilikilts doesn't offer a sporran or two...sure, they've got lots of pockets, but dammit, the Hairy Groinpurse makes the ensemble! A comfort note- a suede nailpouch on a toolbelt worked for a sporran last year, but it was big enough that when I got to powerwalking the deep playa it swung back and forth so much that it chafed the upper front of my thighs most uncomfortably. Must craft something more "centrally located" for this outing. I'd LOVE a skunkskin sporran, but I'm afraid to skin the skunk......Maybe I'll just settle for saying "skunkskin sporran" over and over. Skunkskin sporran. (skunkskin sporran.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

hageymon

Kilts

Post by hageymon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:09 pm

Heya, Lee...

I think that you oughta sport a set of BAGPIPES to augment the kilt.

precipitate
Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Post by precipitate » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:20 pm

> I don't like to have my genitals exposed while ARC WELDING!

It's a nasty place to have a sunburn, that's for sure.

Oh, and I am *so* in favor of the spiky, garish, goldfish-laden sporran.

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:23 pm

robotland wrote:I'm surprised that Utilikilts doesn't offer a sporran or two...
there is also http://www.sportkilt.com/ they've got Sporran and more traditional kilts and somewhat cheaper prices.

Don't forget about sorongs

Bob A

III

Post by III » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:14 pm

(by now you might have noticed that kilts, contrary to your expectations of being hip and different, have thet status of a rather large bandwagon to be jumped on at burning man.)
[url]http://3playa.cultureshark.net/[/url]

Bob A

Post by Bob A » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:15 pm

<SP> sorry I meant sarong or did I mean soWrong .

sorry Couldn't help myself

Bob A

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:36 pm

If you have your own clan tartan, why despoil yourself with cheap tourist imitations?

Don't forget the blue facepaint, btw.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:30 pm

Hey dougaldutch...

From one kilt wearin’ guy to another, I say good on ya’

I have my formal kilt in my family tartan, but will not be bringing it for two reasons.

1)Finding my family’s plaid was not only a bitch, but expensive. It was woven in Scotland and made to fit me by a lady in Fla. This thing was in the neighborhood of $450, so I don’t wish to risk it to the playa

2) I’ve got to get it resized to fit me since I lost weight several years back. I have yet to find someone close that I trust to undertake the task

I’m opting for the purchase of one Utilikilt (I”ve been saving for a LOOOONG time for it) and several home made So-wrongs. Bandwagon, or not, I plan to not have any bifurcated garment on me body whilst at BM. And I think blue face paint is definitely in order.

MissNev

Post by MissNev » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:19 pm

There's absolutely no sight finer than a man in a kilt/sarong/heck, just a plain towel does it for me!

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:47 pm

Yes, I confess, I have ulterior motives for encouraging kilt-wearing...

Y'all do know I have kilt fetish, right...?

calsur

Post by calsur » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:28 pm

dougaldutch wrote:

Now I just have to figure how to get a haggis into the country.

Don't do it! I think this is one of the publicly executable offences on the books.

Last Real Burner

Aye Laddie, she's a gonna burn now!...

Post by Last Real Burner » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:40 pm

You got a lots of time until the burn, Dougal, roll your own. You will be able to try a few different ones. Try one made out of chinese Brocade material, with the beautiful embroidered chinese symbols and animals (the ladies will be literly be tearing it off you, of course that will only be because they want to wear it. :lol: ).

For a quick lesson go here http://www.scottishdance.net/highland/MakingKilt.html

Wow, this closet is full of Kiltists. Imagine that.

"Live a full life, drink like you're Scottish."

tartanly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:45 pm

one made out of chinese Brocade material
oh.
my.
God.

That sounds beautiful.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”