Kilts ! yay or nay?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:09 pm

I don't know that you sounded offended, I just tend to be really careful with new people as my dry, make the other person figure it out, style of wit can hurt feelings. I've had trouble in the past, and wanted to make sure I wasn't crossing any lines.
I would probably believe anything you can tell me about what you were told about the Bay Area growing up--I still remember the yearly exorcisms by some reverend from down south. Don't know why he stopped. Death? or did he do something so offensive to his parishoners while in the city that they stopped ponying up the money for the trip? Or maybe only the church bulliten covers it any more.

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:32 pm

Just to get us back on kilt track I thought I would share a photo full of kilted goodness. This is my daughter and myself on our way to the spring father/daughter dance last Saturday.
We had a blast and my Utilikilt enjoyed a very pleasant reception on it's first social outing. Even with my poofy shirt!

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:51 am

Dusza Beben that shirt looks slightly like the one I have although the front frillage on mine is slightly less. I stick on a waistcoat and jacket if I need to look tone down, although then using that really camp pose seemed to contradict my jacket and waistcoat plan considerably.

Marnen I have a mate in a reputable Ceilidh band so was going to get him to do a CD for me, but having a live element would be sweet and I welcome it totally, if anyone else is up get intouch. Will let you know how things work out on that front.

As for my kilt action well I will be leaving my formal behind (heat and expense considerations) and now own a lighter Douglas Tartan number and a dark black tartan that I was thinking of rigging up with El-wire. Could be troublesome but I am looking to keep it simple. Can then wire it into my sporran, although electricity and sweating gonads have me thinking I better get the connections right.

Lee
I'm off my tits on Happiness!

Ranger Genius

Post by Ranger Genius » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:56 am

Dusza:
I have that same utilikilt (black workman's model) and as you can imagine it generally causes something of a sensation around these parts when I wear it. If you plan to wear it on the playa, wear it a lot in the meantime. Otherwise, the dust on it will drive you bonkers (voice of experience). If it's a little broken in, it won't bother you so bad. By tuesday, your lovely black kilt will be a nice uniform gray.

Dougal: The electrical shock you'll get from an EL Wire driver isn't too bad. It is enough to motivate you, though. If your connections are going to be exposed to moisture (bodily or otherwise) I suggest getting epoxy-lined heat-shrink tubing. Check an electrical supply store.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”

TechKnow_shaman

Pleating on the playa?

Post by TechKnow_shaman » Mon May 03, 2004 1:37 pm

I apologize if this has already been gone over.
Is said kilt a "great kilt"? Will you be pleating in the playa? If so I would have to recommend bringing a tarp to pleat on.
Or, is it one that is pre-made, with the pleats sewn in?

I have both and only plan on bringing my "military" (pre- pleated) kilt. I would imagine the playa would be a bad place to pleat.

I work at the Ren Fair and sometimes portray a Scot. I am mostly familiar with the old ways of kilting.

marnen
Burning Since: 2002

Re: Pleating on the playa?

Post by marnen » Mon May 03, 2004 2:02 pm

TechKnow_shaman wrote:I apologize if this has already been gone over.
Is said kilt a "great kilt"? Will you be pleating in the playa? If so I would have to recommend bringing a tarp to pleat on.
Ah, excellent point. I would second this advice, unless you have a large tent with a floor.
[...]
I have both and only plan on bringing my "military" (pre- pleated) kilt. I would imagine the playa would be a bad place to pleat.
Ditto, ditto. If I do bring my great kilt, I will probably not use it as a kilt.
I work at the Ren Fair and sometimes portray a Scot. I am mostly familiar with the old ways of kilting.
I'm a SCAdian with an Anglo-Irish persona (and also an Egyptian Jewish persona, whose garb often comes in handy for the desert conditions at BM...)

Best,
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org

TechKnow_shaman

Post by TechKnow_shaman » Mon May 03, 2004 2:02 pm

For those that don't know, a kilt does not need to be sewn. Here is a link that shows the old ways of kilt pleating http://www.kalani.net/KiltPleating101.htm

LeChatNoir

Post by LeChatNoir » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:34 pm

Oh my...

I must offer my humble apologies to anyone who may have been waiting for my kilt plans. Due to a couple of small physical setbacks (nothing terrible, but I’ve no insurance and at first thought I would be knocked out of coming to the playa) and time stretched entirely too thin in the shop, I’ve had to forgo finishing my kilt plans for the moment. There’s no way now for me to finish them before heading west, much less with enough time for any of you to make one before leaving. Believing myself to be a man of my word, however, I will still finish them and forward them on to the folks who so graciously offered webspace, assuming the offer still stands, in plenty of time for next year.

So, to make up for my egregious error, I hurl myself to the ground at your merciful feet, dougaldutch, and say that if you are still wanting to make paper kilts on the playa, I will meet up with you and not only show you how to fold them, but help you fold a bunch too. So much easier to show you than tell you.

Here’s what you’ll need for one kilt (up to about pants size 38, maybe a little more):

pencil, tape measure, a piece of paper +/-26" X 3 yards, clear tape (like packing tape) and a table to work on.

Dougaldutch... get in touch with me, or just find me at the Eplaya Meet and Flog (or whatever it’s being called now), and we’ll work out foldin’ some kilts. I doubt that they’ll last past the first time somebody sits down in one, but what the hell... they’d be fun while the lasted.

I’ll probably not be checking back on the eplaya, since I’m going like crazy to get ready for the trip, not to mention work and two charity functions just this week alone. So if you want to reach me, best to PM. If you just want to curse me then feel free to do so in the thread... all with my blessings of course.

Cheers!!
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather

honeyfire

Cushlamacree!

Post by honeyfire » Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:30 pm

Dougal, darlin', if that's you in that picture, i don't see you having any trouble finding someone to join you in that kilt! :shock:
I won't be making it to the playa this year (unless in win the lottery in the next week, that is), but now i wish i were.

...um, that means i think you're cute. But that's not your problem...
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

honeyfire

Pre-shrinking is key

Post by honeyfire » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:24 pm

Oh, all you folks looking to make your own:
Pre-shrink your fabric!
Lots of fabric does NOT come pre-shrunk, especially stuff like brocade.
Just run the length of fabric at least once (preferably 2 or 3 times) through whatever washing method you will be using for it. This will also get out any sizing* that may be in it, so it'll handle a little more accurately.
*Sizing is sorta like starch, it's stuff that they put into fabrics so that they will sit more smoothly on the bolt/hanger/whatever.
If you use silks or rayons, you should prob wash in cold water and tumble it just long enough to loosen up the spin-wrinkles, (maybe 3-5 mins) on low. Then hang it to dry. Alternatively, get about a quarter to a third more fabric than you'll need, wash it warm and tumble it hot 'til it stops shrinking, and presto! you have washable silk and/or rayon.
I strongly reccomend a nice rayon challis fabric if you can find it. Rayon is a natural fibre, comes from trees, they billed it as "synthetic silk" because synthetics were the cool new thing in the 40's. It drapes beautifully, handles well, doesn't stretch to speak of, breathes very well and will take and hold dye nearly as well as silk. Almost all of the sarongs you see, along with all them batik hippie dresses and such, are made of rayon. It might actually be my favorite fibre...

...and just myself, i LOVE kilts! When a man gets just a touch of strut in his walk and those pleats get to swingin'...
Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmmm!!!
I'm just trying not to be liveMOOP...

Civil rights: use 'em or lose 'em!

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:03 pm

For anyone looking for a different version of clothing I like the Lava-Lava, also known as the kikepa. Much like the sarong but Polynesian. It's becoming more popular in surfer garb. Here is a link to check out all types of open access :) clothing.

Choose your own...there pretty easy to make.
[/url]http://www.kiltmen.com/world.htm[url]

Also has all the links you'll want if your searching for a kilt...don't forget to express yourself

"I'm as smart as I use to was"

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:54 am

Alas my plans for gifting of the paper kilts is a project best left till next year. Try as I might I couldn't find a supplier that could get me the tartan paper in the correct dimensions/ quantity that wouldnt leave me rowing across the pond to BM. LeChatNoir curse you, I think not, but if I do track you down then I will drain all your folding knowledge out of you like some tartan vampire. Hope you are well for the playa and everything else is on track for you.

EL-Kilt is being completed this weekend and waiting to hear if my new gifting item has arrived state side. Not nearly as fun as paper kilts but the Highland Toffee Bars (with a picture of a real highland coo on it) and Irn Bru bars (made in Scotland from girders) hopefully will be well recieved; not by any dentists obviously.

HoneyFire dont forget to pick up your lottery tickets now, will send some good luck vibes into the ether for you.

Cheers

DougalD

Piper

Post by Piper » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:18 am

dougaldutch wrote: Irn Bru bars (made in Scotland from girders) hopefully will be well recieved; not by any dentists obviously.

DougalD

Now Irn Bru is THE hangover cure, but in BAR form? ;)

Peace
Piper
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP

Fat SAM

Post by Fat SAM » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:01 am

I don't imagine I know what the cost of your kilt was but I was looking after a couple on this side of the drink and they weren't cheap. The playa's a pretty harsh world, bro. I would leave it at home. If'n you want that kilt-ish experience, I'd cut the middles out of a pair of shorts and sew the open legs together. As for not wearing keks...Don't. You'll feel much better no matter what you're wearing.

Better yet, buy yerself a cheap tartan skirt!
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.

lunasea

Kilts Yay or Nay

Post by lunasea » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:38 pm

Kilts?

Oh, definite Yay!

thats all

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:16 am

Point is well made Piper, looks like this weekend I will have to road test the Irn Bru bar for special hangover fighting properties. Spending an hour picking it out of your teeth when you are hungover may help to distract you from the actual hangover so I see possibilities here....hmmmm.

Spoke to a wonderful lady in Glasgow yesterday who does cheap kilts http://www.tartanwear-direct.com/cgi-bi ... cp-app.cgi BUT you can get them in clan colours and they hand make them; problem with most cheapo kilts is the tailoring, but here they take waist, seat and length measurements. The material is gonna be way hot and sticky, but I figure I will be anyway and any excuse to raise the kilt to the sky cant be a bad thing. Only cost £30 ($55) excluding posting and they are rushing it through so it will be ready for my departure date. Thinking about gifting it to suitable candidate after the burn, well if it is still together after 7 days on the playa.

Cheers

Lee

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:02 am

Well, it's not brocade, but I've managed to make a black satiny kilt with an embroidered front satin panel and pearl snaps for the playa. I should look interesting walking with my wife as she wears the leather andmink Viking costume I've made for her. :D

DB
Agripunk,

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:07 am

WOW! That sounds awesome! I hope to see it.

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:07 am

Ivy wrote:WOW! That sounds awesome! I hope to see it.
Well come see us! We are part of camp Tanabata/ camp Whistleworks and can be found at 2:00 in center camp this year.

DB
Agripunk,

Interested bystander

Post by Interested bystander » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:10 am

Dougaldutch, are you still planning to bring music and teach highland dancing? I'm not much of a dancer but I figured with that most other folks wouldn't be either. My wife and I would love to get some lessons and join in. It would be great if there were some bagpipers out there also.

naga brain
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Homemade

Post by naga brain » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:40 pm

I recently made a sort of kilt out of those desk mats that allow you to roll around the office! It's less of a kilt and more of an armored skirt ala roman or so. But it should look cool with some back lighting from El Wire because it's translucent! :oops: So I'll have to have something on under it.
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?

Dusza Beben

Re: Homemade

Post by Dusza Beben » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:49 pm

naga brain wrote:So I'll have to have something on under it.
Why? It pays to advertise.

DB
Agripunk,

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:04 pm

Hi, I have had a few enquiries about the old ceilidh action on the playa and have to say that my freind with the band disappeared off the climbing scene after a motorbike accident and I didn't get a chance to get a decent CD. TIme pressure meant I didn't get to officially hook up with a camp to host the event either. I do have a CD with me, but it is pants me thinks maybe 3 good leg flailling tracks, but could be enough. Anyway I am camping with the Black Rock Burner Hostel at Venus and 5:00, come find me and I will teach anyway who is present (I'll be the one in kilt and day glo orange sporran).

Dusza Beben that kilt sounds the very dab indeed, think I will have to have a squint at that, sounds like you put alot of effort into it. Naga brain if at any point you feel like swapping kilts then I am game, sounds sweet and EVERYONE knows you dont wear nothing under a kilt.

Anyway I am 200 miles from Reno and the adventure is really about to start

Cheers

DougalD

dougaldutch

Post by dougaldutch » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:19 pm

Hi, I have had a few enquiries about the old ceilidh action on the playa and have to say that my freind with the band disappeared off the climbing scene after a motorbike accident and I didn't get a chance to get a decent CD. TIme pressure meant I didn't get to officially hook up with a camp to host the event either. I do have a CD with me, but it is pants me thinks maybe 3 good leg flailling tracks, but could be enough. Anyway I am camping with the Black Rock Burner Hostel at Venus and 5:00, come find me and I will teach anyway who is present (I'll be the one in kilt and day glo orange sporran).

Dusza Beben that kilt sounds the very dab indeed, think I will have to have a squint at that, sounds like you put alot of effort into it. Naga brain if at any point you feel like swapping kilts then I am game, sounds sweet and EVERYONE knows you dont wear nothing under a kilt.

Anyway I am 200 miles from Reno and the adventure is really about to start

Cheers

DougalD

Mister Jellyfish Mister

The greatest gift.

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:08 am

Dougaldutch! Thank you again for your gift of the kilt. It is my most treasured thing in a world where posessions have less meaning everyday. I hope I did it up a treat by getting the blue job on my body and my overzealous attempt at a proper brogue. (sp?) Wearing it on a bike brought joy to my playa wanderings, and your preasentation of the broach to my wife was magnanumus! I want all to know that you are my good friend.

"Remind me to slap your mama for havin' ya" -Buford T. Justice
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Mister Jellyfish Mister

Post by Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:56 pm

***Old School Bump!***
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com

Xtevan
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Xtevan » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:38 pm

I have had the kilt jones thing going for a few years now. I brought my tan Uk & camo tripp brand kilts that served me well. Left the wool and fancier ones at home

I like the idea of silk/rayon brocade kilts mentioned early in the thread, did any one actually sew one up? pictures? I have an amerikilt that feels like gauze compared to my uk, the thought of silky goodness is appealing.

Xtevan

robotland

Post by robotland » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:37 am

Mister Jellyfish Mister wrote:***Old School Bump!***
I miss DougalDutch!

More sporrans are on the crafts-list for this winter...And maybe an ultralight kilt to supplement the green UK. How about an Aluminet kilt, perhaps with some EL wire trim? I've been experimenting with LED "ground effects", and have had relative success with that as well...
Howdy From Kalamazoo

mdmf007
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Post by mdmf007 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:42 am

I say yes to Kilt - wear the family tartan every year.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:07 pm

You do know all that tartan stuff was invented in the 1800s?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”