Metal > Clothing/Textiles : How???

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.
Catwoman69y2k

Metal > Clothing/Textiles : How???

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:46 pm

Well, looks like the recession has hit me harder than before so my clothing budget is pretty tight. Im down to a budget just for necessary clothing such as sunhats, good shoes, dust masks, etc...

That said, I did have an idea on making clothing out of stuff I got lying around the house and leftover parts from our home business. Trouble is, it is mostly comprised of circuit boards and metal material. Can one attach these kinds of things to textiles (cotton, spandex, polyfibers, etc..) in a way that will keep it attached even in playa conditions?

If so, how would this be done? Would weaving the items to cloth via fishing wire be enough? Is there a strong enough adhesive out there?

*curious*
Kat

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:49 pm

Try glue and take some pictures. :D

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

[quote="Ugly Dougly"]Try glue and take some pictures. :D[/quote]

Hm....which kind of adhesive?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 pm

I'd use wire/fishing line and sew them on securely. Glue can be tricky to wear, save it for the hats or shoes. Experiment with placement, so you aren't sitting on capacitors. ouch! Spandex and other stretchy fabrics won't take heavy pieces well, cotton or canvas/denim may be sturdy enough. Or do an accent bra, you can sew all kinds of crap to one of those and it looks good.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Yo, fuckos, do not make me drop a piano on your heads.

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:57 pm

Goop!

viewtopic.php?t=34090

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:33 pm

[quote="AntiM"]I'd use wire/fishing line and sew them on securely. Glue can be tricky to wear, save it for the hats or shoes. Experiment with placement, so you aren't sitting on capacitors. ouch! Spandex and other stretchy fabrics won't take heavy pieces well, cotton or canvas/denim may be sturdy enough. Or do an accent bra, you can sew all kinds of crap to one of those and it looks good.[/quote]

Yeah. I want comfort but I realize that metal is metal, so Im skeptical about spandex as well. Strong fabric/textiles...

Thank you.

teardropper
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby teardropper » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:45 pm

I don't have such good luck with glue on fabric. I would sew securely and maybe also use something like Goop to back it up. If it doesn't have any holes in the metal, maybe you could drill little holes in it and and stitch it with line. Like the idea.
\^/
/..\ Furthur

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Canvas or denim. Try grommetting the fabric and then use twine (not jute!) to hang panels.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:41 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"]]Canvas or denim. Try grommetting the fabric and then use twine (not jute!) to hang panels.[/quote]

Thanks so much. That helps. :) I know weight is just gonna be a problem.

TobeWilde

You could try...

Postby TobeWilde » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:19 pm

...a hot glue gun. The substance is slightly rubbery of course when cooled and therefore 'gives' a bit with stretchy fabrics and it does hold securely.
<b>October Wilde - <i>"Tobe"</i></b>
Birgin 2010
<b><i>"I will not adjust myself to the world. I am adjusted to myself." Anais Nin </b></i>

capjbadger
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby capjbadger » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:21 pm

Do NOT use hot glue. It will soften and melt out there. Use Goop.

-Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:31 am

Definitely not hot glue, although it does actually stick to fabric out there; Goop has fumes, so I won't use it. You can embellish and stick on light items with dimensional fabric paint. It comes in glitter and sparkle and crystal and metallics.

C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:54 am

I've never had much luck with ANY epoxy. Goop, Shoe Goo, Weld 300, Gorilla Glue, etc.

Sewing them on with fishing wire is your best bet.

ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:56 am

I'm not sure what circuit boards look like, but other metal bits, if there are holes in them (or if not, drill holes), you can attach with small nuts and bolts, with the flat part of the bolt on the inside. I just did this with a pair of chaps that I needed to attach a belt to. I took a 2" piece of metal strapping (the kind with the holes in it used to hold up gutter downspouts and myriad other uses), bent it in half, put a D ring in the crease, poked a small hole through the material and belt (sturdy velveteen and repurposed vinyl belt), pushed the bolt through, put the metal piece on the right side of the fabric, put on a couple washers for added decoration, screwed the nut on tight. Now I can clip my nalgene to my pants with a caribiner! Or hang other things from my D rings.

Got any old bicycle inner tubes lying around? I made a corset out of them, and have plans to make other things - rubber tubes are very versatile :) Sews pretty well, too...or you could probably rivet it together.

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:34 am

Thanks for your ideas. Yeah. Im not married to any material but if we go the route of nuts/bolts/strapping, than I will need some strong material. Hmm...what to use.....

Although part of me wants to leave some parts open. I wonder what backing I should use on the circuit boards to keep from getting scraped on areas where my skin comes into contact with the back of the board. This is a Burning Man outfit so I dont have to be so concerned with covering my lower half up, but comfort would be nice.

[quote="ConnieH"]

Got any old bicycle inner tubes lying around? I made a corset out of them, and have plans to make other things - rubber tubes are very versatile :) Sews pretty well, too...or you could probably rivet it together.[/quote]

I havent had a bicycle since my mother sold mine as as a girl. Hmm....I wonder if I can find some in the scrap yard.....

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:53 am

Bike shop will have plenty from people too lazy to replace thier own tubes.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

C.f.M.

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:03 am

Canvas, duckcloth, etc.

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:02 am

[quote="FIGJAM"]Bike shop will have plenty from people too lazy to replace thier own tubes.[/quote]

True. However, dumpster diving and scrap yard diving is always free. :) Ill try both in any case.

ConnieH

Postby ConnieH » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:05 pm

Catwoman69y2k wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:Bike shop will have plenty from people too lazy to replace thier own tubes.

True. However, dumpster diving and scrap yard diving is always free. :) Ill try both in any case.

Bike shops will probably give them to you for free if they are popped or otherwise unrepairable - call them and ask! You don't need good ones...ask your friends, too, that's how I got some of mine.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Postby bm_cricket » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:49 am

Budget hits me hard too. I just wear the costume I was born in. 8)

...I do spend $50 on sun block each year!
)'(

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:56 am

[quote="bm_cricket"]Budget hits me hard too. I just wear the costume I was born in. 8)

...I do spend $50 on sun block each year![/quote]

I dont blame you. I like being naked but I figure I can get creative with the challenge of an economic budget.

I wish I could pay just $50 for my sunblock but I have to pay import fees on top of things.

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:11 am

I bought a piece of fabric/cloth etc from a sewing store for like $9 and wrap it around my fat waist and I have a sarong of sorts. :idea:
It can be shear and see thru, solid, have patterns...whatever.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

FaeTora

Postby FaeTora » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:16 am

Do you live outside the U.S. Catwoman69?
We break to remind us how to mend.

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:53 am

[quote="FaeTora"]Do you live outside the U.S. Catwoman69?[/quote]

Nope. I live in Southern California. I just cant seem to find any sunblock sold in this country that keeps me from burning within 20 minutes. So yeah, import for Canadian products

FaeTora

Postby FaeTora » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:56 am

Even broad spectrum SPF 70? I'm irish so i burn in 30 minutes with nothing... an hour or two with spf 45. SPf70 with UVA and B coverage works well for me when used every 3 to 4 hours depending on what I'm doing.
We break to remind us how to mend.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:03 am

Coppertone, Neutrogena and Hawaiian Tropic all make broad spectrum SPF 70. There's even a few brands without the PABAs. You can even get it in a spray. Teh Coppertoine Baby one is a spray lotion, which is weird.

I'm fair (scotch-irish/danish ancestry) and also burn easily. Coppertone sport broad spectrum spray rules my world. I use SPF 15 on my face, and wear big hats.

AntiM

Postby AntiM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:03 am

Coppertone, Neutrogena and Hawaiian Tropic all make broad spectrum SPF 70. There's even a few brands without the PABAs. You can even get it in a spray. The Coppertone Baby one is a spray lotion, which is weird.

I'm fair (scotch-irish/danish ancestry) and also burn easily. Coppertone sport broad spectrum spray rules my world. I use SPF 15 on my face, and wear big hats.

Catwoman69y2k

Postby Catwoman69y2k » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 am

[quote="FaeTora"]Even broad spectrum SPF 70? I'm irish so i burn in 30 minutes with nothing... an hour or two with spf 45. SPf70 with UVA and B coverage works well for me when used every 3 to 4 hours depending on what I'm doing.[/quote]

Im not that lucky and I am of Scot-Irish descent. In fact, for my first year of Burning Man, I equipped myself with burquas in case the Canadian stuff I get was only strong enough to stand standard sun exposure (but not those playa conditions). My poor friend had to wait a day or two for me to get brave enough to go with out it. Bad genetics

Which brings me BACK on topic. The metal....oh yeah. I will need sunshades for the reflection they might give off. Im gathering all the metal components I have and as soon as I find duckcloth or an equally strong material, Im going to see which components make the stay. Lots of computer parts.

gerlachedNloaded
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: ShadeWhores

Postby gerlachedNloaded » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 pm

metal suit + playa sun= human toaster. :roll:
I am HORSE

Token

Postby Token » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 pm

Neutrogena now has an SPF 100 helioplex sport spray. Cheap $10 at target. Works like a charm.

Metal & Textiles:

I have the opposite problem. I build metal wireframe clothing and have a hard time fitting fabrics to it. I hate sewing. I outsource the fabric stuff to my wife. Works out OK. :)

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”