Naked Old and Unattractive people on the playa?

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:59 am

A friend of mine got branded while out there mid week. It never healed correctly and ended up looking like a skin-graph.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah, joking aside, what a bad idea...purposefully giving yourself an open wound in those conditions.

Do you know who's branding her? I don't actually think it's my friend, but he bears a striking resemblance.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:15 am

From what I was told, he's a M.D. from Germany...but that's about all I know, I have no idea of what is name is.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:27 am

Bounce530 wrote:From what I was told, he's a M.D. from Germany...but that's about all I know, I have no idea of what is name is.
hopefully, not a displaced prince from Nigeria.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:34 am

he wasn't from Nigeria. He was prince of Zamunda.
We break to remind us how to mend.

junglesmacks
Burning Since: 1986

Post by junglesmacks » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:37 am

C.f.M. wrote:Yeah, joking aside, what a bad idea...purposefully giving yourself an open wound in those conditions.
Seriously..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.

peacefulhuman

Post by peacefulhuman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:59 am

Token wrote:If you guys insist, I can cut this out on a flow jet and make a branding iron. I'll use 304 stainless steel, but I need a firm commitment from at least half dozen folks to get branded on Playa.

Must be 18 or over.
That's just a little too ouch-y for me. It gives me visions of festering, pus-leaking wounds, and I've got enough strikes against me without adding festering, pus-leaking wounds to the list of Reasons Why I Don't Get Any.

Lassen Forge
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Post by Lassen Forge » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:08 am

No joking - ouch.

I've been burned on playa by accident, it sucked - I can't see someone doing that on purpose out there. Not surprised it didn't take right...

Elderberry
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:12 am

C.f.M. wrote:Yeah, joking aside, what a bad idea...purposefully giving yourself an open wound in those conditions.
Is it really any worse of an idea than going down the giant slide?

I'm totally not into branding and can't understand why anyone would want to do it, but I can't imagine that open wounds caused by branding on the playa are any more dangerous than anywhere else. Just think of all the rebar injuries, etc.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

much2naughty2

Post by much2naughty2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:16 am

Using heat is old fashioned isn't it? Better to use dry ice. Of course it still destroys the tissue, leaves a big wound and finally a scar.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Post by swampdog » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:20 am

Playa temporary tattoo = spray paint over a plastic template. So far I've got templates for The Man and the biohazard symbol. I'll make an ankh (not as fancy as ygmirs) and see if I can figure out a way to do a yin-yang too.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:33 am

jkisha wrote:

I'm totally not into branding and can't understand why anyone would want to do it, but I can't imagine that open wounds caused by branding on the playa are any more dangerous than anywhere else. Just think of all the rebar injuries, etc.

JK
I didn't go on the slide, either. I was very glad of it, when my campmate came back with awful burns/scrapes all down her backside, bad enough that we helped her limp to EMS to get proper bandaging. Poor thing...limpy and then having to sit in a bus for three days...

And a-no-duh, open wounds can and will happen, but tripping over some rebar isn't the same as going "Hey! Burn the flesh right off my skin!"

I'm not a branding expert, but it's akin to a third degree burn, I believe.

"Third-degree burns cause damage to all layers of the skin. The burned skin looks white or charred. These burns may cause little or no pain because the nerves and tissue in the skin are damaged. For third-degree burns, go to the hospital right away."

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:56 am

jkisha wrote:

JK
As someone who HAS been branded out out Burning Man I ahve got to say....

I got a about 3.5 inch burn on the underside of my upper arm on tuesday or wednesday. It was gross looking all week (I did have silvidine) and i had an awesome scar to show people what i got at burning man for a few months but you can barely see it anymore :(
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:23 pm

In 2004 I went to the playa with sixteen holes in my breast (actually, 32). I'd had brachytherapy radiation where they stick catheters through the breast and insert a radioactive seed twice a day. The catheters were removed on Friday, we went to the playa on Sunday. I was toasted on Lortabs the whole time, very lethargic. I kept showing people my fresh wounds because I was so happy, LOL. But I kept those wounds wrapped and cleaned them twice a day.

I hate burns. They fucking hurt. I have one scar on my wrist I got when I was taking a cake out of the oven in 1973.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:32 pm

When I was two years old I jostled or something my mother's hot tea when I was sitting on her lap, and I got a crescent shaped scar from it. It's still there, but it's been pulled into something less morphus. She called me "magic moon baby" for years.
I don't remember that. The worst pain that I can remember is the fresh incision in my belly. Oh fuck, every time I move it went straight through me. I was in a medically induced coma a few months before that, so it's likely I've been in worse pain.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:53 pm

The worse pain I was ever in lasted for far too many months. Once my meds that took the edge off the pain was back ordered and it was a week before they got it back in. After a few days my meds ran out and I was completely incapable of caring for myself, let alone movement. I was up for days crying and unable to eat when my wife got pissy with one of the techs and got me my pills.

I have a load of scars though. I have two on my back from mole removals that are mirror image spots. lol a friend of mine jokes thats where I had my wings (angel) removed. one on my arm from another mole removal, a scar on my left arm from one of the cats, my belly button scar from an unneeded surgery, one on my underarm from an iron falling on my as a kid, one on my wrist from another childhood injury, and a few others that are fading away.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:52 am

My belly scar is pretty impressive, but pale. Worst pain? Needle through the cervix. Brief, but memorable.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:27 am

FaeTora wrote: my wife
Wife? I'd assumed you were a woman. What with the "fae" and the cat and all.

Unless you're some Sapphites livin' in SIN! Cuz I'm pretty sure Texas don't recognize homerseckshul marriages. :P

Although, in college, my friend from Texas referred to it as "nothing but steers, queers and beers."

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:41 am

ya, she's gotta be a bull dike.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:52 am

Fire_Moose wrote:ya, she's gotta be a bull dike.
It's "dyke."

Inferring a "butch" or more masculine preference of manner and dress.

I don't get that from her posts - not like it matters, more laydeez for me to put my moves on.

I am going to miss the bear camp I had for neighbors, last year. Especially the shower party...[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_(gay_culture)]woof![/woof]

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:12 am

Texas doesn't recognize gay marriage. But we still got married. I refuse to let a government tell me how I "should" live my life when I'm not hurting anyone. Though I guess its a moot point now that my wife is no longer here.

And yes I am a woman and gay but I vary, I guess, from whats referred to as a lipstick lez to a soft-butch at most in appearance. Most people tell me I can't be gay because I don't "look it."

Editted to say: She will always be my wife. Its how I have referred to her for so long. Sorry for the confusion.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:25 am

FaeTora wrote:And yes I am a woman and gay but I vary, I guess, from whats referred to as a lipstick lez to a soft-butch at most in appearance. Most people tell me I can't be gay because I don't "look it."
Nice. Back when I started this job, a co-worker said she always knew the kid on Who's the Boss was gay, she could "just tell."

/epic eye roll

I seriously loved this pic, from the Prop 8 celebrations last week

I'm pomosexual.

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:38 am

To each their own. Though I don't rule out that's there a possibility that one day I might find myelf attracted to men, if I ever settled down again I have no doubts it would be with a woman. I knew it the first time I kissed a girl and the world disappeared and my breath caught in my chest.

sputnik
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Post by sputnik » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:48 am

WOW FT, lovely
It's going to be alright.

Bounce530

Post by Bounce530 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 am

A song from waay back for CfM's Texas friend-
[youtube][/youtube]

bluesbob
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:03 am

peacefulhuman wrote:
Token wrote:If you guys insist, I can cut this out on a flow jet and make a branding iron. I'll use 304 stainless steel, but I need a firm commitment from at least half dozen folks to get branded on Playa.

Must be 18 or over.
That's just a little too ouch-y for me. It gives me visions of festering, pus-leaking wounds, and I've got enough strikes against me without adding festering, pus-leaking wounds to the list of Reasons Why I Don't Get Any.
Oh look...a pinwheel!

FaeTora

Post by FaeTora » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:07 am

Pinwheels are nice.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:19 am

[youtube][/youtube]

Fire_Moose

Post by Fire_Moose » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:27 am

C.f.M. wrote:
FaeTora wrote:And yes I am a woman and gay but I vary, I guess, from whats referred to as a lipstick lez to a soft-butch at most in appearance. Most people tell me I can't be gay because I don't "look it."
Nice. Back when I started this job, a co-worker said she always knew the kid on Who's the Boss was gay, she could "just tell."

/epic eye roll

I seriously loved this pic, from the Prop 8 celebrations last week

I'm pomosexual.

I'm a geriophobe

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:48 am

FaeTora wrote:Texas doesn't recognize gay marriage.
I really loved it a few years back when a born woman married an m2f woman, because they had defined it chromosonally.
Silly Texans.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”