Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 pm

kicking around new coat ideas...whatta ya think ?

Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:11 pm

I love this Jella!

jella

Post by jella » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 pm

Thanks Misa, I have the perfect fabric now I just need the pattern hee hee
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

MisaBlue
Burning Since: 2010

Post by MisaBlue » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:20 pm

I am already picturing you in that coat...fabulous!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:25 pm

I seriously love that coat
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

jella

Post by jella » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:08 pm

I will do something close to it....
More feminine then the my regular monster fur coat I think.

xaramonkey
Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: yet Xara still remains

Post by xaramonkey » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:36 pm

jella wrote:I will do something close to it....
More feminine then the my regular monster fur coat I think.

Monster Fur- Fur clothing made from real monsters. Are you, or do you know Lady Miss Stacy? The maker of Monster Fur?
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

jella

Post by jella » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:43 pm

No I'm not and no I'm afraid I've not had the pleasure of meeting Lady miss Stacy as of yet.
I just pound the fur into a garmet or hat or two now and then hehe

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:04 am

That coat is amazing! (Gawd. I think I'm in love with a coat. How sick is that.)

Surely you could tweak another pattern to include all the sexy in this one? It would certainly be worth the try.
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:29 am

Love the coat jella! I'm sure you will find a great pattern. I will keep an eye out while I search for my hooded cloak.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:03 am

Someday, I will find someone with sewing design skills and figure out how to make a few garments for my needs.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

jella

Post by jella » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:45 am

I think I have a few prospects I ordered one last night from patterern review http://sewing.patternreview.com a very helpful site btw :)

I can sew but I'm too chicken to draft my own pattern from scratch still. So far I adapt as I go hehe.

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:15 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Someday, I will find someone with sewing design skills and figure out how to make a few garments for my needs.
Like what, Fish? I'm pretty much certain that you have a wealth of extremely creative people here who would have awesome ideas for whatever you needed. Maybe if you threw out a couple of needs, you might find that these awesome people come up with a solution is really easily doable.

This place strikes me as the most accessible and creative thinktank ever!

Shel Silverstein

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:17 am

Blech!

I just used the word "awesome" twice in one sentence!

I NEVER use that word!!!

(What is becoming of me?????)

Shel Silverstein

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:00 pm

No, that was 2 sentences. Hope you feel less blech-y.

Jella- didn't think so, but thought I'd ask. I think she sold the co. a few years ago and I lost track of her when I moved from SD.

Can anybody recommend a good on-line seller of quality fur that they have actually bought from ? I know I could "just Google it" but theres no way to really check the quality on-line and no local stores sell any fur at all in the small town I live in.
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."

delle

Post by delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 pm

xaramonkey wrote:No, that was 2 sentences. Hope you feel less blech-y.
Like a double shot of Pepto. Thank you!!!

So far I've gotten all my fake fur from Church basements and Second Hand stores in the shape of ugly coats. Some really nice and large pieces of fur come out of these (on average between $2 & $10 per coat).

I'm piecing things together tho -- based on and inspired by my finds.

Bonus here is that sometimes the fur is on the inside - giving you a shell of ultrasuede on the outside.... or on the outside with a whole gift of beautiful satin on the inside.

Finding this stuff and discovering how to manipulate it has become a whole new passion for me.

Beyond that, I'm afraid I can't help much with your question. Hope you find just what you need!!!!

Shel Silverstein

jella

Post by jella » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm lucky enough to be close to several stores that sell it so I haven't bought any online (yet) hehe. I think I know someone that did though
( Fire Moose) I'll ask him.

xaramonkey

Post by xaramonkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:53 pm

Double shots of Pepto. Blech!... But beats the alternative. ha!

"Finding this stuff" passion..... ME TOO !! I found an excellent plastic patent jacket with nice white fur trim that didn't fit me. Now i have a nice plastic patent vest with white fur trim. Tailored.

Meese have more fur than goats? Shoulda known.

This one of my favorite "threads" PUN INTENDED.

Magic people!, furry people!

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:20 am

Happy Monday Everyone!

I have my first crafting question:
- If I do not want to go with fur (fake or fun) what is the next best fabric to make a warm coat/hooded robe?

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:02 am

lazerfox wrote: If I do not want to go with fur (fake or fun) what is the next best fabric to make a warm coat/hooded robe?
Minky fabric is fantastic stuff and you can find it here

8)

jella

Post by jella » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:39 am

My next coat is going to be Brocade. It should hold up well to the elements and hopefully look good "dusty" hehe
I've made several cosplay cloaks out of mircofiber or ultra suede and they hold up well.

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:59 pm

Cheyenne wrote:"Invisibility Hat"

I want one of those....
Well now.

I don't have a hat for you as there's just one so far, but I did find something that might help with that...

Going thru all my stuff, getting my sewing loft in order, I found a badge with your name on it. Literally. I thought maybe you'd like to have it.

My thoughts were that you could tuck it in the frame of the mirror that you use to get ready for work, and get to watch your face transform as you're reminded who you REALLY are. The memory of the sparkle in your eyes ought to help you to get thru the more mundane moments and even spruce them up abit as you remember how truly magical you really are.

Let me know if you'd like me to send it to you.

Shel Silverstein

delle

Post by delle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:01 pm

jella wrote:My next coat is going to be Brocade. It should hold up well to the elements and hopefully look good "dusty" hehe
I've made several cosplay cloaks out of mircofiber or ultra suede and they hold up well.
I love brocade. Really love it.

And dusty brocade just seem Right to me.

Hope to see some pictures!

Shel Silverstein

jella

Post by jella » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm

delle wrote:Going thru all my stuff, getting my sewing loft in order,
color me jealous hehe ..maybe someday I'll kick out a kid and get my sewing studio..woohoo

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:52 am

Of course my one question leads to more questions.
MyDearFriend wrote: Minky fabric is fantastic stuff and you can find it here

8)
That fabric looks SUPER soft which would be great but is it warm enough for the cold playa nights?

jella wrote: My next coat is going to be Brocade. It should hold up well to the elements and hopefully look good "dusty" hehe
I looked it up online and it definitely looks pretty :)
Does this fabric need a softer lining?
jella wrote: I've made several cosplay cloaks out of mircofiber or ultra suede and they hold up well.
I go to a lot of conventions and I'm always in awe of some of the cosplay costumes. Which characters have you done?
Also, is microfiber warm when used by itself?

Thank you all for your suggestions!

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:46 am

Honestly, those kinda coats are available pretty cheaply on Ebay. Just look for "visual kei," "lolita," "cosplay," etc. Or search through the SCA/LARPing gear. Or there's a company that makes pretty cool coats, Red Thread. I think that's the name...

For the time and effort it's take to sew one, I'd probably just buy one - or, buy a cheap one you like and cover it with your fabric.

I just happened to completely luck out a few thrifts ago, and find the exact kind of coat I want. It's too small, so I need to add a panel, but it's just great.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 am

This is the coat I would like to get for MyLarry, but the site asks far too much for it. I know I can sew that well, although I don't do buttonholes well at all.

http://www.pyramidcollection.com/itemdy ... 20M&ref=us

They are a good place for inspiration, some of the clothes are kick ass and come in plus sizes, but I think they are pricey. I know I can sew! (encouraging myself mantra) I can see how it would be worth it for non-skilled and time-pressed folks who have the cash to purchase clothes from them. The boots, ah... the boots....

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:03 am

One thing to think about with fabric choice is, are you one of the people who's going ot get close to fire. I mean really close. You want cotton, wool or silk. (Linen needs too much ironing, and hemp or bamboo would brand you a hippie.) Polyesters that catch fire smolder and melt onto the skin and make nasty burns.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

jella

Post by jella » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:20 am

All very good points...
@C.F.M...I agree there is so much available these days some pretty affordable, I love upcycling clothing from thrift store too :)

@Anti-M I weigh my options time-fabric cost-skill requirement against what they ask for that special garment and almost always end up making it myself (chanting along the I can sew mantra) thanks for the website btw very cool stuff.

@Fishy Very good point, and thanks for the reminder..we toil along on that perfect project and forget it might melt to us :shock: ..fabric melt/stress test pending hehe

I don't know about you guys but sometimes constructing a garment is stress relief for me..I know I know weird eh ?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:25 am

jella wrote: I don't know about you guys but sometimes constructing a garment is stress relief for me..I know I know weird eh ?
Not in the least; my sister uses knitting as meditation, even for taking her kids to ers and such if I remember the stories right. And basically, artistic and craft activities can be soothing and gateways to other mental states.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”