Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:07 am

Thank you everyone for your help on this project :!:

I decided to go the 'cover a bathrobe with fabric' route. This should *hopefully* help with hiding all the wiring 8)

My Goodwill store provided me with a very snuggly super dark green bathrobe and a huge black king size duvet cover set.
The bummer is the bathrobe is not hooded but I think the shams from the duvet set can be used to make an awesome hood.

All in all I think I'm ready to get this sucker started.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (especial props to C.F.M. you rock my socks off!!)

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:55 am

lazerfox wrote:Thank you everyone for your help on this project :!:

I decided to go the 'cover a bathrobe with fabric' route. This should *hopefully* help with hiding all the wiring 8)

My Goodwill store provided me with a very snuggly super dark green bathrobe and a huge black king size duvet cover set.
The bummer is the bathrobe is not hooded but I think the shams from the duvet set can be used to make an awesome hood.

Get a hoodie, cut the hood off, cover. Hoods can be a pain in the butt.

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:16 am

C.f.M. wrote:
lazerfox wrote:Thank you everyone for your help on this project :!:

Get a hoodie, cut the hood off, cover. Hoods can be a pain in the butt.
wow, sometimes i just want to kick myself. Cut a hood off a hoodie, of course! so simple, but just not something i'd think of myself. Now that opens up a whole new way of looking at costuming hmmm...... back to the thrift store!
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:43 am

C.f.M. wrote: Get a hoodie, cut the hood off, cover. Hoods can be a pain in the butt.
I forgot about that...I'm not too worried (yet) about the hoodie since I have a pattern that I used for my Jedi robes and it worked very well...

however, if I can find a really cheap hoodie I will totally do this instead...I'm just reaching my costume spending limit if you know what I mean :oops:

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:15 am

Post on Craigslist or Freecycle to see if someone has one to give away. Or ask around your friends, see if they have one lying around they never wear.

I have a $1 a pound Goodwill and Sundays it's half-off, so that's where the majority of my supplies comes from.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:38 am

TRON the inside lighting of the hood sounds schweet!

Does anyone have any ideas for hand sewing/attaching fur to the inside collar and open shirt lengths (button and hole sides) of a vintage silk shirt?
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:36 am

moonrise wrote: Does anyone have any ideas for hand sewing/attaching fur to the inside collar and open shirt lengths (button and hole sides) of a vintage silk shirt?
The only suggestion I have is small plastic snaps, spaced far apart. You could glue the male sides to the fur strips and sew the female sides to the silk. The real problem is the difference in the strength of your two materials there; kinda like trying to mount bricks on cardboard, if your silk is really old. The key thing is to make your connection weaker than your material, so that if it comes apart you can put it back together!

Oh and I'd store it flat - not on a hanger.

Hope that helps. :D

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:34 am

ARGH. I don't know if this will post, I keep being booted out.

Have you worked with fur before, and know about defurring, snipping seam edges, etc? I don't really like working with it.

Handsewing and small stitches, that's what I'd do. After I pinned it on to see if it would affect the shape of the garment (because of the weight).

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I forgot to say, I won't button it, just leave it open
maybe I'll just do the front open lengths, skip the collar, it'll get 1 or 2 nights then too dirty. Smoke color and handwahsable fur I'm thinking.

Fur, silk & glue, LOL= scary thought, pins and needles might be best for me!
I'll bring the shirt to the fabric place and feel around.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

btw, a couple of years ago, I bought a $15 robe at ross/marshals...it's soft & luxurious feeling, short fur-like, polar fleece, like none I've ever felt!
That could be perfect for the lining on the TRON outfit or other project linings, it's slate gray colored,,,, uspoloassoc, such a deal!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

Tinkerbell
Burning Since: 2001

Hip Bags??

Post by Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:55 pm

I am seeking to find if anyone has any hip bags or belt bags they would like to trade something for. Or does anyone have any knowledge to teach me how to make one myself. Any ideas and tips are greatly appreciated. Ultimataly i'd love to learn how thou.

I also live in the Sacramento area if someone wanted to get together to make such things together!
Thanks burners.
Tink
:P

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:03 pm

Is is obnoxious to suggest etsy? Probably.

I think I remember this being a topic on tribe a couple of years ago, but I think the term being used wasn't "hip bags", so I don't know what to advise you to search for.

I also wanted to be first in the long line to say that all my bags are square.
Thank you.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 pm

Pod belt, galactic belt, utility belt.

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:06 pm

Yeah, that's more like it. (and thanks for not scolding me, AntiM. I was sorta skating on the good advice first thing.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm trying not to be a bitch about the no barter bit.

Tool belts, cut up some jeans and sew on pouches, and so on.

JStep

Post by JStep » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:40 pm

AntiM wrote:I'm trying not to be a bitch about the no barter bit.

You can find tons of old fanny packs at most Goodwill and thrift stores.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:42 pm

AntiM wrote:I'm trying not to be a bitch about the no barter bit.

AntiM, you show amazing restraint!!!

We Love You!!!!

Rice.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone. I did do a lot of research online was thinking I would just make my own. I was just seeing if anyone maybe had experience in this area that could work with me or something.

similar to what they have going on there. [/img]

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:34 pm

That looks great, how much sewing experience do you have?

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:02 pm

moderate sewing experience. I have made outfits for burning man and such. So it seems time consuming sew all those pockets myself, is it just best to find old pants at thrift stores and such and steal it from them?? any ideas about where to get all that stuff. The more i wrap my head around this the easier it seems haha. I think once i master making one, i will make a few more for gifts and such...

tamarakay
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:06 pm

thank you for posting that picture! now i have something to go on. these look fantastic. i like those better that what i had formulating in my head.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:31 pm

Didn't someone last year make a nice rig with a cannibalized pair of cargo shorts? CfM is ace at this sort of thing.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:40 pm

There is another image i will be following as well..

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Tinkerbell wrote: There is another image i will be following as well..
And given the skirt on the model in the middle, a number of the boys will, too.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Rilopie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 am

Hipstirrbelts.com

Amazing, beautiful, quality belts. They are based out of the bay and are at trunk shows here all the time.
There is another site that I can't remember the name of...red dog designs maybe?

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:07 am

I see buttons, which may mean button holes. I hate buttonholing. Velcro might be an option, or toggle and loop fasteners.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 am

Elorrum wrote:Didn't someone last year make a nice rig with a cannibalized pair of cargo shorts? CfM is ace at this sort of thing.
Yup. They have soared in popularity since I started wearing mine a few years ago (as you probably saw in my last blog post 8) ). I was thinking this morning, about raising funds by making some....if you know how to sew then it should be pretty easy to see how to do it from the pictures you've posted.

Also, move the convo to Costume and Crafting help.

<----cranky about all the threads on the same thing taking up space on her screen

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:30 am

alright...I am SO close to getting started. washed the bathrobe and duvet cover...then proceeded to vaccum/dry the crap of the duvet cover to get the stupid bathrobe dust balls off :x
now just waiting for the correct "color of the week" to show up at my Goodwill so I can purchase the appropriate hoodie to be dissected

also this weekend I found an awesome skirt with super nice cargo pockets
same style as in the following image but mine is khaki colored...I think I will remove the belt and use my military utility belt instead
deciding between making my own pouches vs buying them at the army navy store...

(the image would not show so all I could do was include the link)
http://s3.amazonaws.com/files.posterous ... /4Fc0Sg%3D

themoonlightseedling

Post by themoonlightseedling » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:16 am

I actually ended up making myself a podbelt for BM 09... Went to a used-clothing store, grabbed a thick pink canvas belt with the heavy duty buckle, sewed on little straps with D-rings, found a large wallet-with-detachable-handle at Wal-Mart (Pink hearts) and bastardized it with large clips gotten at a home supply store - that holds my electronics, smokes and tin, with a few small pockets for lip balm, papers/cards/money, etc...

I also sewed my own larger pouch out of black duckcloth with pink heart ribbon trim to specific dimensions (I wanted to be able to fit my copy of [i]Fear And Loathing[/i] in it - and that holds all manner of things (I stuffed SO MUCH food and first aid supplies in it at BM). It also attached with clips, secured by a wide pink polka-dot ribbon doubled over.

The other clips held my Sigg water bottle on a carabiner and my keychain that has more utility tools on it than keys :P

All modeled after the actual podbelt, and it matches everything, and I'm always super-prepared.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 am

I don't sew much via machine, but I love to rig, alter, embellish, dye, sequin, and do a little hand-sewing. If I were building a belt tomorrow, I would:

* go to an Army Surplus store and get a basic 2-3" wide utility hip belt of canvas or nylon (usually under $10) and some pouches, which are usually sold separately for $5+ each. (This is also a good opportunity to buy a similar bag.)

-or-

* Go to a thrift store, Ross or TJ Maxx and get a leather belt with many holes punched in it, then take it to a fabric store and buy a bunch of d-rings & o-rings or similar, and start attaching whatever I wanted.

* Use caribeeners (from a hardware store) or book rings (from office supply). Book rings should not be used if you plan on opening and closing them a lot as they will eventually pop open when you don't want them to, but they are great if you want to be able to remove something every once in a while.

Tinkerbell

Post by Tinkerbell » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:21 am

C.f.M. wrote:
Elorrum wrote:Didn't someone last year make a nice rig with a cannibalized pair of cargo shorts? CfM is ace at this sort of thing.
Yup. They have soared in popularity since I started wearing mine a few years ago (as you probably saw in my last blog post 8) ). I was thinking this morning, about raising funds by making some....if you know how to sew then it should be pretty easy to see how to do it from the pictures you've posted.

Also, move the convo to Costume and Crafting help.

<----cranky about all the threads on the same thing taking up space on her screen

How do i move this to Costume and Crafting. And where is that located. haha. been a while since i been on here. I decided to live in the dinosoar age for wayyyy to long. Welcome to the 21st century!

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”