Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:29 am

It is in Q&A and you can't do it. I can.

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Hey guys, I picked up some purple fun fur on sale just after christmas, but I haven't made a single cut yet since I'm a little unsure where to begin. I'm looking to cover the tubing on a couple bikes (I was so jealous of the furry bikes I saw last year!)The fur is very short, no more than half an inch long.

Is this stuff prone to fraying? I'd like to avoid hemming if I can, as everything I've found on google implies its a bit of a pain.

Also, I was going to use velcro to attach the fabric, and there is no way I'm going to rely on the glue backing to keep it on. With the fun fur so short, will it be fine if I just sew straight on, or should I trim/shave it first?

And hey, if you have any good ideas for fun furring a bike, let me know! My only plan at the moment is measuring out the different tube sections, and cutting rectangles to wrap around them with velcro dotting the long sides for attachment. Hopefully that makes sense :P

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Fufa wrote:Hey guys, I picked up some purple fun fur on sale just after christmas, but I haven't made a single cut yet since I'm a little unsure where to begin. I'm looking to cover the tubing on a couple bikes (I was so jealous of the furry bikes I saw last year!)The fur is very short, no more than half an inch long.

Is this stuff prone to fraying? I'd like to avoid hemming if I can, as everything I've found on google implies its a bit of a pain.

Also, I was going to use velcro to attach the fabric, and there is no way I'm going to rely on the glue backing to keep it on. With the fun fur so short, will it be fine if I just sew straight on, or should I trim/shave it first?

And hey, if you have any good ideas for fun furring a bike, let me know! My only plan at the moment is measuring out the different tube sections, and cutting rectangles to wrap around them with velcro dotting the long sides for attachment. Hopefully that makes sense :P
There is a great product called "Fray Check." You spread it on like glue, let it dry, and then cut through it. Your edges are sealed and no hemming is required. I would use an exacto knife or similar and of course cut from the wrong side, just enough to pull it apart.

Velcro is a real pain to sew because the backing is so thick & stiff. And it's real tough to get it to stick in place harder than it sticks together. You might get away with just using the prickly side to hold the fur together. That is where it will want to stick anyway. :shock:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Major Krash
Camp Name: Sideshow

Post by Major Krash » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Fufa wrote:And hey, if you have any good ideas for fun furring a bike, let me know! My only plan at the moment is measuring out the different tube sections, and cutting rectangles to wrap around them with velcro dotting the long sides for attachment. Hopefully that makes sense :P
I have had good luck using fur scraps left over from costuming (tend to be long narrow triangles or other odd shapes), and just wrapping them around the bike tubes, using leather shoelaces or thin string to hold them in place in a criss-cross fashion...the fur tends to hide the lacing, and it is easy to adjust as-needed for repairs, lights, etc.

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:22 am

C.f.M. wrote:ARGH. I don't know if this will post, I keep being booted out.

Have you worked with fur before, and know about defurring, snipping seam edges, etc? I don't really like working with it.

Handsewing and small stitches, that's what I'd do. After I pinned it on to see if it would affect the shape of the garment (because of the weight).
Thanks c.f.m.! and My Dearfreind and everyone else (page 16/17)

The Fray Check for fur sounds good.

I'm thinking I can use the big buttons with big cord type loops to deal with loosely closing a fur trimmed silk shirt. I think 4 will do the trick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I spotted 2 cleverly designed logos on this silk shirt, I could try to cover them up with gimp sewn in paterns? or anyone have ideas? or I will use a different shirt, aw shucks! The logos are about 6 x 12 inches, hmph.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

C.f.M.
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:36 am

I rrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaallllllllllllie want one of these.

jella
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Crap now I want one too. Maybe I'll polish my crochet skills :roll:
I've been trying to figure out a comfortable viking helmet for figment forever
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:29 am

C.f.M., that dudes looks like a Hassidic viking!

delle

Post by delle » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:47 am

I'm as enamoured with the mirth in the guy's eyes as I am with his creation.

A lovely find all the way around!!!
Worry is a misuse of imagination

She had blue skin, And so did he.
He kept it hid And so did she.
They searched for blue Their whole life through,
Then passed right by- And never knew.”

Shel Silverstein

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 am

MyDearFriend

Help!

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30 pm

What's the best way or is there any way to get EL-wire to hang straight on a light-weight fabric?

I basted some around the hem of a skirt today, it's what they call liquid lame and kinda stretchy, and the daggone wire keeps coiling around all catawampus.

I wouldn't really care, for me, gosh it's 6+ months until I need to be wearing EL-wire and it's a real cute little skirt without it. BUT: I showed one of the teachers at my son's school the swatches for my Burning Man stuff :oops: I carry them everywhere :oops: one thing lead to another and I promised I would lend this particular skirt as a costume for the school play. Which opens next week. A Royal Highness will be there (new sponsor for the school). And the girl who's going to wear the skirt thinks the wire is exactly what is needed for her part: "Very robotic," she says. 8)

So, other than yanking the wire out and letting it hang from the ceiling again to straighten some more (it's hanging now) is there a trick or a technique that I can use? Before 3:30 tomorrow afternoon???
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

You know how when you want to make ribbon curls you pull the ribbon between you finger and the edge of sissors?

Do the same with the wire (gentley) and you can work it straight, maybe even with it in the hem.

I do this with wires that I want untangled all the time.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Could you also sew some actual wire in the same place so that there's some structure to keep it from tangling?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Elorrum wrote:Image
Great.

Now I want it.

Yes, I will wear a crochet beard over my real one. I'm not proud.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:00 pm

FIGJAM wrote:You know how when you want to make ribbon curls you pull the ribbon between you finger and the edge of sissors?

Do the same with the wire (gentley) and you can work it straight, maybe even with it in the hem.

I do this with wires that I want untangled all the time.
I am trying this right now, thank you! :D

The wire looks pretty straight now but the hem is still curling like a lettuce edge. I'm afraid this might be the wrong kind of fabric for EL-wire. :cry:

But it does seem to have improved quite a bit. I will keep trying!
theCryptofishist wrote:Could you also sew some actual wire in the same place so that there's some structure to keep it from tangling?
:idea: That is a great idea! :idea: I don't think I have 90" of plastic boning but I'm sure I have plenty of fusible interfacing! :D :D :D I can try that in the morning if a wiry massage and good night's stretch doesn't straighten this mess out.

See I KNEW that if I came and asked you, y'all would save the day for me! Woo hoo I feel a lot better!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:26 pm

Support your Right to Armature Bears, as my great-grandfather used to say.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:50 am

If I were going to sew EL wire to light fabric, which I've never done, I would:

- sew it on with fishing wire
- make channels for it with clear or sheer fabric

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:36 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I rrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaallllllllllllie want one of these.
Ok...I wasn't going to make anything this year...I think I might have changed my mind.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:26 am

VeganChoirGirl wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I rrrrrrrrrreeeeeaaallllllllllllie want one of these.
Ok...I wasn't going to make anything this year...I think I might have changed my mind.
wonder when he will post the instructions....

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:05 am

For future reference: to avoid hem curling, use horsehair braid or flexible boning tape along the area you want to lay flat or to shape. Not made of real horses. In the notion section of any good fabric/craft shop.

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:39 am

AntiM wrote:For future reference: to avoid hem curling, use horsehair braid or flexible boning tape along the area you want to lay flat or to shape. Not made of real horses. In the notion section of any good fabric/craft shop.
Horsehair braid! That's the other thing I couldn't remember! Oh well I didn't have 90 inches of that either. :(

I wound up, um, improvising with 550 cord :oops: threaded through the hem, which after the massage tip from Figjam seems to have done the trick!

Thanks all!

kitkatseattle

Post by kitkatseattle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:06 pm

Has anyone worked with bubble fur before? I bought some in yellow and can't seem to decide what I want to make out of it. I am not the most experienced at sewing, but last year (my virgin year) made some skirts and boot covers. I had so much fun creating things, even if they were not always as intended. Some things were from patterns and some were just winging it.

I also want to make a fur bikini top and skirt. I think the skirt will be fine as I've already done this. Any tips on working with fur for a bikini top?

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:26 pm

kitkatseattle wrote:Has anyone worked with bubble fur before? I bought some in yellow and can't seem to decide what I want to make out of it. I am not the most experienced at sewing, but last year (my virgin year) made some skirts and boot covers. I had so much fun creating things, even if they were not always as intended. Some things were from patterns and some were just winging it.

I also want to make a fur bikini top and skirt. I think the skirt will be fine as I've already done this. Any tips on working with fur for a bikini top?
Don't know why bubble fur would be any different than regular fur, or how making a bikini top out of fur would be different than making anything out of fur.

I'm a lazy sewer for stuff like that, buy a top and sew fur on it.

I now have two personal projects and have been comissioned (YAY!) to make outfits for someone so I am ready to oil up the machine and get drunk.

I mean, brainstorm ideas.

MyDearFriend

Post by MyDearFriend » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm

There is a pretty good no-sew fur bikini DIY video on YouTube, sorry I can't get there from work but it should be fairly easy to find.

Important first step, of course (I'm sure you know this already) is to decide which way the fur should hang BEFORE you cut it. :shock:

Edited to add: CfM you rock!!!

kitkatseattle

Post by kitkatseattle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:38 pm

Well, I've seen a few different things that people refer to as bubble fur.

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/fabric ... uct=BUBBLE

The above is what I am talking about and it has circles of fur and then areas with a really thin transparent material. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for it.

I think I like the buy a bikini top and sew fur on it idea, thanks C.F.M.!

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm

I need to find something eye-hurtingly sparkly and shiny (that's not glitter, sequins, beads or anything that could be MOOP) for a daytime ensemble.

I know people with bubble fur playa coats and who've made hats with it, it sews like regular faux fur.

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:16 pm

Holographic fabric. I have a few small pieces, get them in the sun and they are blinding indeed. Usually silver, but you can find gold and other colors.

C.f.M.

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:41 am

AntiM wrote:Holographic fabric. I have a few small pieces, get them in the sun and they are blinding indeed. Usually silver, but you can find gold and other colors.
I have yet to go to Joanne's to check it out (waiting on the starting piece to get here), is that available at places like that?

VeganChoirGirl

Post by VeganChoirGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:59 am

C.f.M. wrote:
AntiM wrote:Holographic fabric. I have a few small pieces, get them in the sun and they are blinding indeed. Usually silver, but you can find gold and other colors.
I have yet to go to Joanne's to check it out (waiting on the starting piece to get here), is that available at places like that?
I was at the Joanne's in West Los Angeles area yesterday and they had it available there. Not to say they will have it at every store.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!

AntiM

Post by AntiM » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:02 am

It does get seasonal in some of the stores, but check out the dance and costume fabrics. There's a good 50% off coupon sale coming up this weekend.

I have some, but in smaller lengths in assorted colors. No clue what I want to make from it.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”