Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
ibdave
Burning Since: 1998

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Post by ibdave » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:46 am

FIGJAM wrote:Anybody got sleigh bells they don't need?

I could use them. :idea:
saw them at the HD big box on 50% yesterday.. didn't see the price... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Interesting treatment of wedding gowns I just saw, for those of you who don't need them for the Brides of March:

You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

daft

Post by daft » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:59 pm

How does the color retain its structure?

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:35 pm

I was toying with making some friendship bracelets, and I still might ... you can use the pattern above with the method for making Alpha bracelets and it should turn out, OK.

If I finish one, I'll post a pic!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 pm

daft wrote:How does the color retain its structure?

I'm guessing if this is latex or acrylic paint it's going to flake off and be "moopy". But...if one did this with fabric paints, or dyes, it would seep into the fabric pretty well. A hot dryer, or iron would set the color...but be careful not to melt the gown, unless that's part of the look you're after.

lazerfox
Burning Since: 2011

Post by lazerfox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:04 am

Fur question again: so where is the cheapest place to get some fur fabric? I don't want much just want a little so I can start test out how to work with it and maybe make some accessories.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:28 am

Jo Anns fabrics and crafts usually has a sale flier at the entrance to the store. It has a coupon for 40% off one item. Pick out some fur that's NOT on sale and buy one piece. Call ahead to see if there is a sale paper available. Or....go to the thrift store and buy an old faux fur coat. (Joanns will be cheaper and prettier).
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:34 am

I was really hoping for places that had more of a selection. My local Joann's never really have any fun colors to choose from (i.e. purple or aqua) They tend to stick with actual animal prints or boring white & brown. :|

Oh and funny enough not sure if it is because I live in FL and we don't really use coats here but the only fur coats I usually find at the thrift stores are actual real furs. It is the craziest thing ever...I had never seen a real fox coat until I started thrifting. :lol: I will definitely keep looking though.

Any online places that come to mind would be super helpful :)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:47 am

lazerfox wrote:I was really hoping for places that had more of a selection. My local Joann's never really have any fun colors to choose from (i.e. purple or aqua) They tend to stick with actual animal prints or boring white & brown. :|

Oh and funny enough not sure if it is because I live in FL and we don't really use coats here but the only fur coats I usually find at the thrift stores are actual real furs. It is the craziest thing ever...I had never seen a real fox coat until I started thrifting. :lol: I will definitely keep looking though.

Any online places that come to mind would be super helpful :)
If you are looking for fur other than "normal" black, brown, white, or leopard then you will likely need to mail order. I use distinctive fabrics (burner owned iirc). They have great prices, will send samples, and don't forget to use their monthly coupon (follow the fabric discounts link). Plus when you sign up for an account they will send up to 5 swatches (plus 5 more with each order).
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 am

Drawingablank!! I was hoping you would respond and you are a life saver!
Not only do they have fun fur but they also sell purple brocade!!!! Which I have been trying to find for MONTHS :!:

Thank you! thank you! thank you!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 am

I did a quick search of 'colorful faux fur yardage' and I liked Mendels.com. They had long hair fur for under $20 a yard, (60 inches wide), and will send you free swatches. I imagine you can beat this price since I found it so quickly. Fur shopping is irresistible. I want it all.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:04 am

OMG. Thank you!! 'Distinctive' is a great resource. I fell in love with 6 things immediately. Thank you, thank you.

Arthur Schopenhauer

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:32 am

lazerfox wrote:Drawingablank!! I was hoping you would respond and you are a life saver!
Not only do they have fun fur but they also sell purple brocade!!!! Which I have been trying to find for MONTHS :!:

Thank you! thank you! thank you!
Gee thanks Drawingablank...just what I needed another project idea :roll: ...seriously though what a traesure trove of goodies !
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 am

They are a great company to deal with.

I think I found them through the BM resources listing, although it must have been an older one since I can't find them in the 2011 one.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:21 pm

I went to my 'fur pile' to try and remember where I got all this stuff. One really great a cheap place to get fur is from stuffed animals. They go for next to nothing at garage sales and make fab hats, shoe covers or neck-wrist-ankle pieces. Plus their heads turned inside-out are scary.

Arthur Schopenhauer

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:18 am

Stuffed animals is a great idea!! I'll need to remember that one for sure next time I visit the thrift store.

I'd like to make a fabric version of this awesome bottle/shot glass carrier I came across as I do not think I'll have enough funds to start endeavoring into leather making. (Twill perhaps may be strong enough...)

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 am

lazerfox wrote:Stuffed animals is a great idea!! I'll need to remember that one for sure next time I visit the thrift store.

I'd like to make a fabric version of this awesome bottle/shot glass carrier I came across as I do not think I'll have enough funds to start endeavoring into leather making. (Twill perhaps may be strong enough...)
A tapestry type upholstery fabric may have enough body to support that too.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 am

Following up on the fur discussion. You might want to sign up for the Distinctive Fabric (awesome burner-owned business) mailing list or follow them on Twitter. They don't abuse your address, and do occasionally have some decent discounts.

I've never shopped Mendels online, but they're local to us and we've found a few great items there over the years. You may also want to check out Denver Fabrics (good overall assortment, and occasionally some awesome finds) or Minky Delight (specifically for minky fur)

Foxfur
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/[email protected]: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 am

I love stuffed animals!
Teddybear Massacre 50.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:45 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
lazerfox wrote:
A tapestry type upholstery fabric may have enough body to support that too.
You could also try neoprene. It's strong, and lightweight. Looks like there's a source in Seattle:
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/neoprene.html#Neoprene

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:13 pm

What IS neoprene? Can you just cut up old inner tubes. Those are free at the tire store. (I'm into free). If you get truck tubes are they any thicker than car tubes?

Arthur Schopenhauer

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:20 pm

Neoprene is the stuff they make wet suits out of sometimes knee and elbow braces. Inner tubes might work though
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:42 pm

They also make insulated bottle covers from the stuff.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:38 pm

Oh. I love that stuff. It's firm enough to make great costumes. Like M&Ms, playing cards, slot machines. I got a giant set of hand-cuffs from Kostume Kult. (They're hanging in my front room). That fabric is expensive and it might stretch from the weight of a full bottle. You can buy old leather jackets, belts and purses to cut up and lace it together. No sewing and a nice primitive look. You can drill the holes if it's stubborn.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 pm

Ratty wrote:What IS neoprene? Can you just cut up old inner tubes. Those are free at the tire store. (I'm into free). If you get truck tubes are they any thicker than car tubes?
You can actually work with innertubes and other discarded rubber. I have a messenger bag made out of rubber and waxed twine or cord stitching, a little hardwear (two buckles and a swing clasp), and a long satin strap. The rubber is probably about the thickness of a pencil eraser and has held up well due in part to that thickness. (You do have to keep oil off of it or it'll break down the rubber, obviously.)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:01 am

I like the sound of it. Plus I could drop it to my hearts content. I probably wouldn't want a satin strap. I'm such a 'boy'. I think I'll stop by the tire place and get an inner tube to play with.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:04 am

Hee. It's really thick satiny stuff, wide and industrial almost like a seatbelt in keeping with the automotive feel. I think it was aimed at men.

(I never listen).
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:18 am

Oh. I do like that. Smooth, shiny, flexible yet tough. Sounds nice. Gotta sleep now. Work tomorrow. Nice chatting with you. I'll sleep with my fingers crossed for my husbank to get a ticket. nite, nite

Arthur Schopenhauer

lazerfox

Post by lazerfox » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:32 pm

Neoprene...rubber...I'll have to thrift some this weekend and see if I have any options like those that are cheaper than just getting fabric from Joann's.

Thanks guys!

DanusLight
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by DanusLight » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 pm

lazerfox wrote:Neoprene...rubber...I'll have to thrift some this weekend and see if I have any options like those that are cheaper than just getting fabric from Joann's.

Thanks guys!
lazerfox, i have some neoprene of sorts that I'd be more than happy to send you. it's a covered neoprene material ... think the material used for a can cozy.

Let me know if you want it!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”