Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:02 am

jella wrote:Oh Emily those are soooo cute... gimmie gimmie :)

seriuosly, what brand are those ?
Blush!!! Thanks Jella. I LOVE that these are platforms. I almost left them as is because they're so funny but then couldn't resist adding follage afterall. I think I'm just trying to avoid dealing with our coats. I've realized that we won't be able to sit on the string lights so I have to figure out where to place them for comfort. That will impact the design badly I'm afraid. I was hoping to have them go all over the coat now maybe they have to be just on the shoulders, sleeves and upper chest and back. Any ideas about this?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:35 pm

Emily, those shoes are awesome! Excellent work! :D
Have you thought about adding a dab of glow-in-the-dark paint around the edges? It dries clear so won't mess up your beautiful daytime look.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:42 pm

OMG I forgot how hard putting linings in vests is.

*smacks head into wall*

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Orchid wrote:Emily, those shoes are awesome! Excellent work! :D
Have you thought about adding a dab of glow-in-the-dark paint around the edges? It dries clear so won't mess up your beautiful daytime look.
GREAT IDEA Orchid! Thanks...will get some.

[quote="Tristanthegypsy]

OMG I forgot how hard putting linings in vests is.

*smacks head into wall*[/quote]

Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?

jella
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Dye with dignity

Post by jella » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

EmilyD wrote: I think I'm just trying to avoid dealing with our coats. I've realized that we won't be able to sit on the string lights so I have to figure out where to place them for comfort. That will impact the design badly I'm afraid. I was hoping to have them go all over the coat now maybe they have to be just on the shoulders, sleeves and upper chest and back. Any ideas about this?
I've found myself in the same boat lighted coat wise. Got my battery op leds and ran to add them to the coats still puzzling it out Im glad I have open hems at the bottom of my lining though ! I think I'm gping to concentrate on adding them to the shoulders and sleeves. dk yet
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

EmilyD wrote: Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?
Yeah I'm using taffeta... part of the problem is I edited the pattern halfway through. so it doesn't perfectly match up with the outside.. which is fun fur. so turning the damn thing through the shoulder seams was very challenging. grr. Almost done.. just have to finish up the bottom somehow. I didn't follow the instructions very well cuz it was being a pain.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 pm

trystanthegypsy wrote:
EmilyD wrote: Yeah, linings are a BITCH! Are you using that slippery nylon stuff or something else? Is it too late to make it a reversible vest with non-slippy fabric?
Yeah I'm using taffeta... part of the problem is I edited the pattern halfway through. so it doesn't perfectly match up with the outside.. which is fun fur. so turning the damn thing through the shoulder seams was very challenging. grr. Almost done.. just have to finish up the bottom somehow. I didn't follow the instructions very well cuz it was being a pain.
Do you have a surger? If so, you could just clean the ends of taffeta up and then press under 1/2" and hand hem it to the back of the fur. If you don't have a surger just fold a double hem under and again, hand stitch to the back of the fur.

I'll bet pulling that through the shoulder seams was tough. I always change commercial patterns too because frankly they're crap. They always make sewing so much harder than it needs to be and...they make you buy way more fabric than you actually need. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

trystanthegypsy

Post by trystanthegypsy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:53 am

I do have a serger but it's pretty new (well new to me) and I haven't figured out how to change the thread colour (re-thread it) yet... it came threaded with black :)

All done, I just have to add a button! Not sure if I'm gonna sell this one in my store or keep it... I ended up folding the fur over the lining on the bottom.

Commercial patterns are definitely frustrating. Not sure if I'll continue to use this one or not...

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:50 am

trystanthegypsy wrote:I do have a serger but it's pretty new (well new to me) and I haven't figured out how to change the thread colour (re-thread it) yet... it came threaded with black :)

All done, I just have to add a button! Not sure if I'm gonna sell this one in my store or keep it... I ended up folding the fur over the lining on the bottom.

Commercial patterns are definitely frustrating. Not sure if I'll continue to use this one or not...
Here's a trick to changing thread colors. You basically cut the existing thread and tie the new thread to its end with a single knot then gently pull all the threads through the system. Here it is step-by-step:

*Cut the black thread at the top ends (close to the spools).

*Remove the black spools.

*Put the new color spools on the machine.

*Tie the new color thread ends to the snipped black thread.

*Carefully pull the threads through the entire system as you jocky the wheel (forward and back a bit so as not to pull the thread too hard).

*When you get to the eye of the needle the knot of the threads will probably not fit through so there you may have to cut and hand thread. Sometimes though the entire 3 or 4 threads change through just gently pulling through the system.

*If all else fails, read the manual. ;-) Hope this helps.

C.f.M.
Camp Name: Stag Camp 810&D

Post by C.f.M. » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:56 am

Here's my latest crafts and such, that some of you have already looked at

http://playabound.wordpress.com/2010/07 ... the-wurst/

illy dilly
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:30 pm

I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

lucky420
Burning Since: 2023
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:38 pm

back in the olden days we used to just pick and pull the thread that goes horizontally out. Depending on how long you want the fringe it might take kind of a long time. Sorry I am not very crafty

jella

Post by jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:55 pm

lucky420 wrote:back in the olden days we used to just pick and pull the thread that goes horizontally out. Depending on how long you want the fringe it might take kind of a long time. Sorry I am not very crafty
It goes faster with a fork :)
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there

shroom

Post by shroom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:01 pm

I bought fur to make a hat today, but Ms. Presto's videos are no set to private. Does anyone remember the measurement she said? I remember how to sew it, just want to cut it right.

Thanks!
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

jella

Post by jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:04 pm

11 1/2 by 9 I think
I made one and ended up taking it in a little to I made it 8 inches tall after seam allowance but I have a small head so take that with a grain of salt haha

shroom

Post by shroom » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Thanks so much! 8)
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

jella

Post by jella » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Now that makes a hat for a 22" head circumference If it's for someone larger say 24 ya might wanna measure . Although like she sais the fur does stretch :)

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 pm

illy dilly wrote:I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

I have some old baggy jeans, that i want to make sorta cut off long short things. I'm hoping to fray the edges were i cut so that they look like kinda stringy and old. But if I cut them with scissors I'll just have a straight edge. I also want to avoid the cut part kinda rolling up like cut fabric some times does.
Does any one know how to fray cut parts of denim? (other than wearing it for a couple years)
I was thinking that instead of using scissors maybe i would use a metal file or sander and just rub through it.
Any ideas?
illy dilly instead of just cutting them, snip only a bit then tear them. Then do take some tools to the fabric. Sanders, hammers, pound between two rocks, drive a car over them, abuse them. That's actually how they first "distressed" jeans back in the 80's.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:57 pm

EmilyD wrote:
illy dilly wrote:I have a question for some of the fabric gurus. I searched but found lots interesting answers to questions i wasn't asking.

Any ideas?
illy dilly instead of just cutting them, snip only a bit then tear them. Then do take some tools to the fabric. Sanders, hammers, pound between two rocks, drive a car over them, abuse them. That's actually how they first "distressed" jeans back in the 80's.
But don't go so far that things are falling off and creating moop.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
EmilyD wrote:

Any ideas?
But don't go so far that things are falling off and creating moop.

Good point. You can also tear them up the leg to get that just-washed-up-on-shore pirate look. ;-)

Actually one of the coolest pair of jeans I ever saw was when my friend in Houston banged big ass wood nails (about 5" long) into her jeans all around the hem. They jangled like wind chimes when she walked. The only problem with them was she couldn't wash them in a washing machine.

jella

Post by jella » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:46 pm

aaaauuuugh I spent two days sewing the most awesome screaming yellow tiger print cargo pants that turned out to be 1 size too small for my husband...
* takes the bag of chips away*.. and says , ok honey you got a month to fit in these hahahahahaha

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:06 am

jella wrote:aaaauuuugh I spent two days sewing the most awesome screaming yellow tiger print cargo pants that turned out to be 1 size too small for my husband...
* takes the bag of chips away*.. and says , ok honey you got a month to fit in these hahahahahaha
:lol:
Oh dear!

But! You may have actually done him a favor - a lot of people find they shrink up a bit on the playa (based on my highly scientific method of observing my campmates.)

Orchid

Post by Orchid » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:05 pm

If anyone is planning a Metropolis themed outfit or project, I just found some really cool fabric. Not sure what I'd do with it, but some of you clever folks may be inspired :)

http://secure.netsolhost.com/191487.194 ... _Code=FQNY

jella

Post by jella » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:50 pm

yellow cargo pant update..... extra extra !
the awesome yellow pants have been salvaged :). ripped out the structured waist band and sewed wide elastic.. woot woot ! :D
oh and a very manly black tutu has been constructed hehe

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:43 am

WOW Orchid that stuff is GREAT! I'm going to try and get some for the mister's coat. It would be so much easier than hand cutting and piecing all the buildings like I was going to do. THANKS!!!

jella, I LOVE a man in a tutu. I wonder if I can get him to....hmmmm. ;-)

giroux68

Post by giroux68 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:53 pm

McCalls 9576 has been my pattern of choice for 7 big ass furry coats. This was my first sewing project, easy to make short or long. The collar needs to be cut off in one piece and sewn back on reversed to make a non reversable coat. You can make the pockets HUGE!!! if you want. I have never bothered with liners or buttons just a big huge fur coat!!! Highly recomend. as for the seams on fur sewing...a brush or comb work well for getting the fur out of the way, as does cutting the fur off the edges. A little extra work on the prep makes the machine work soooo much easier.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:26 pm

giroux68 wrote:McCalls 9576 has been my pattern of choice for 7 big ass furry coats. This was my first sewing project, easy to make short or long. The collar needs to be cut off in one piece and sewn back on reversed to make a non reversable coat. You can make the pockets HUGE!!! if you want. I have never bothered with liners or buttons just a big huge fur coat!!! Highly recomend. as for the seams on fur sewing...a brush or comb work well for getting the fur out of the way, as does cutting the fur off the edges. A little extra work on the prep makes the machine work soooo much easier.
Thanks for the tips girous68. Do you mean you give the edges a haircut before sewing?

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:07 pm

EmilyD wrote:
jella wrote:Oh Emily those are soooo cute... gimmie gimmie :)

seriuosly, what brand are those ?
jella I just realized that I never answered your question about these boots:

They're super comfy and really cheap (though the shipping was pricey). I think I got them in about 3 days.

jella

Post by jella » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:31 pm

haha,, Thanks Emily I'm at my limit for footwear now with the black goth stompers :)

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

jella wrote:haha,, Thanks Emily I'm at my limit for footwear now with the black goth stompers :)
Wha? There's a limit to footwear? ;-)

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”