Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
FIGJAM

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:34 am

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:30 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
Savannah wrote:Will you still be in business somewhere?
*crosses fingers, still waiting for news on this*
Sorry to keep you hanging, but I'm just now starting to get things back in order. I may have posted this elsewhere, but things are so hectic I don't remember.

Yes, still in business. We are reverting the business back to 100% online sales. The storefront was costing me 80k a year to operate and in this economy that made it a money pit.

We have gone back to the way we did business in the 90's. Seems like a giant leap backwards, but while not hugely profitable, the business is no longer hemmoraging money. Now to just get caught up on all this debt.

The only thing I really miss is the daily interactions with customers, as now I just get to talk to the mailman and UPS driver.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:08 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:
Savannah wrote:Will you still be in business somewhere?
*crosses fingers, still waiting for news on this*
Sorry to keep you hanging, but I'm just now starting to get things back in order. I may have posted this elsewhere, but things are so hectic I don't remember.

Yes, still in business. We are reverting the business back to 100% online sales. The storefront was costing me 80k a year to operate and in this economy that made it a money pit.

We have gone back to the way we did business in the 90's. Seems like a giant leap backwards, but while not hugely profitable, the business is no longer hemmoraging money. Now to just get caught up on all this debt.
I used to work for a small business that had to take things online. It was really scary for them, but they're doing a LOT better now. No shame in it. It's not a step backwards, in my eyes. On the contrary--I think it's very flexible and realistic. I think it takes guts to adapt and experiment. Some folks never can.

Glad to see you. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Savannah wrote: I used to work for a small business that had to take things online. It was really scary for them, but they're doing a LOT better now. No shame in it. It's not a step backwards, in my eyes. On the contrary--I think it's very flexible and realistic. I think it takes guts to adapt and experiment. Some folks never can.

Glad to see you. :)
Well it is a step backwards in that the business started that way so basically I am right back where I was inthe 90's, except with a massive debt load now.

Trying to keep a positive attitude, but things are seriously screwed up right now.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon May 06, 2013 8:05 pm

I'm hearing the 'buzz' in our little group about costuming. It's time to start stitching, gluing and painting your dream clothes.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 am

Picked up several yards of assorted tri color monster fur.

slvrnmph
Burning Since: 2005

Post by slvrnmph » Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 am

I've already been sewing this year. First piece for a friend is what I am calling the galaxy kilt. I made up new pocket construction for this one, and added blue rhinestone rivets for more detail.

And I made myself some leggings.

( \_/)
(O.o)
(< >)

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Tue May 07, 2013 10:46 am

Saw this today and thought some of you mighht get a kick out of it.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue May 07, 2013 11:00 am

Beautiful work, Slvrnmph!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 am

SLVRNMPH, Now that is a beautiful kilt. I love the idea of the store-bought ones but they are so drab. Take a bow. Good job.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu May 09, 2013 7:42 am

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to add pockets to a non pocketed coat?

Not a great sewer, but would want them on the inside of the coat anyway so as not to disturb the look of it. But there's only a thin nylon liner.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 am

For a while now I have been using a rotary cutter to cut my patterns because it is easier on my arthritic hands, faster, and minimizes the time spent leaning over the table which is rough on my back.

Having decided to try some high pile monster fur, I realised that the rotary cutter would not work well and my scissors was pretty crappy so I went to buy a new one.

I discovered a product by Fiskars called Easy Action Scissors #8. These are so much easier to use than a traditional scissors. Basically 4 fingers go in the bottom and they operate by closing your hand (like making a fist). They are spring loaded open, have a cusioned grip, and are offset to cut while against a board if you like to pin to a pattern board.

If you have trouble with traditional scissors you might want to try a pair of these.
Last edited by Drawingablank on Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Thu May 09, 2013 7:53 am

VultureChow wrote:Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to add pockets to a non pocketed coat?

Not a great sewer, but would want them on the inside of the coat anyway so as not to disturb the look of it. But there's only a thin nylon liner.
Make the pockets, pin in place and hand sew them through to the outside. Use a thread that matches the outside and bring each stitch back through close to where it came out.

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 am

Drawingablank wrote:
VultureChow wrote:Anyone have any brilliant ideas on how to add pockets to a non pocketed coat?

Make the pockets, pin in place and hand sew them through to the outside. Use a thread that matches the outside and bring each stitch back through close to where it came out.
I was trying not to mar the outside, but it does have those idiotic fake pocket flaps that women's clothing always has to have. I'll bet I can go behind those and hide most of my horrible stitching.

Thanks.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 am

Embrace your stitching. If you can't hide it, make it show BIG TIME.

(Check out my new sig line)

Arthur Schopenhauer

VultureChow

Post by VultureChow » Thu May 09, 2013 8:10 am

Ratty wrote:Embrace your stitching. If you can't hide it, make it show BIG TIME.
I might even try to embelish more than I was originally. It's got a bit of a military cut, so I'm thinking some gold fringe might be in order.
Ratty wrote:(Check out my new sig line)
I just saw that above. I've never posted anything sig line worthy. I'm honored.
Sic Semper Spectatores

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu May 09, 2013 9:14 am

I don't sew much either.

If I were doing inside pockets, I would cut a square the size I wanted the pocket, then use gorilla tape to attach it to the inside.

If I wanted it more permanent, I would run a bead of 100% silicone around the 3 sides of the pocket and just press it in place.

After the silicone cures, I would be surprised if it ever came loose.

GOOP or E-9000 would be indestructible, but still flexable! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon May 13, 2013 11:25 am

I found a glitter painting for AntiM. It is mooping. I was thinking of putting a few layers of acrilic medium on it to seal it. Do you have a better idea?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue May 14, 2013 10:18 am

theCryptofishist wrote:I found a glitter painting for AntiM. It is mooping. I was thinking of putting a few layers of acrilic medium on it to seal it. Do you have a better idea?
Fishy, I dunno about the glitter on your painting but I use spray acrylic sealer to keep the glitter from mooping off my bras. Works fine even through the washer/dryer.

And Bobbin, for cutting long-pile fake fur I use an exacto knife on the backing and then pull the pile apart; draw your cutting line first with a sharpie. Trim the pile from your seam allowance and you are good to go. That's what I learned watching the naked lady make a hat on you-tube, but, I understand that some of the content there is lost on male people... :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Tue May 14, 2013 10:45 am

MyDearFriend wrote:And Bobbin, for cutting long-pile fake fur I use an exacto knife on the backing and then pull the pile apart; draw your cutting line first with a sharpie. Trim the pile from your seam allowance and you are good to go. That's what I learned watching the naked lady make a hat on you-tube, but, I understand that some of the content there is lost on male people... :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL, well I learned how to work with fur from that video too and don't recall her using an exacto. I just pin my pattern and cut the backing using really short snips with just the front of the scisssors. I'll dig out a scalpel and try it as that is probably much faster.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Was that naked lady making something? Really? I missed it. Get the industrial razor cutter out of your toolbox. That's what I use.

Arthur Schopenhauer

MikeGyver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by MikeGyver » Tue May 14, 2013 3:58 pm

The only one I watched was her making the fur hat and she used scissors, but we use Xacto knives to cut fur too. Not sure if it will be any faster, but you don't cut any of the fur. Like Ratty said, a box cutter will work just fine. I actually like using them better since its more to hold onto, Holding the thin Xacto knife gets annoying sometimes.
The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue May 14, 2013 4:01 pm

I'm glad to hear a box cutter works, because that does sound easiest. :)

I would probably give DAB's trick of tiny snips an attempt, too.

Bounce530
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:16 pm

I have a bunch of thin fabric that I want to make into flags for my MV, right now it's just a 2yd piece of fabric. My thought is to cut it to the desired shape, then use 'stitch witchery' fusible bonding tape for the edges. Then lay a bead of hot glue along the back edge of the flag and place it on the PVC flag pole, then rotate the pole, lay another bead, and on and on, till I get back to where I started. So my questions are;
Will the bonding tape keep the edges from fraying while the flags flap in the wind?
and,
Is the hot glue idea ok? The hot glue has held up with loads of other projects that I've worked on for the event. Or what would be a better way to attach them to PVC?

I guess I should add that I don't have, or have access to a sewing machine..and if I did, I wouldn't have the first idea of how to use it.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Bounce530 wrote:I have a bunch of thin fabric that I want to make into flags for my MV, right now it's just a 2yd piece of fabric. My thought is to cut it to the desired shape, then use 'stitch witchery' fusible bonding tape for the edges. Then lay a bead of hot glue along the back edge of the flag and place it on the PVC flag pole, then rotate the pole, lay another bead, and on and on, till I get back to where I started. So my questions are;
Will the bonding tape keep the edges from fraying while the flags flap in the wind?
and,
Is the hot glue idea ok? The hot glue has held up with loads of other projects that I've worked on for the event. Or what would be a better way to attach them to PVC?

I guess I should add that I don't have, or have access to a sewing machine..and if I did, I wouldn't have the first idea of how to use it.
I haven't had great success with fusible bonding tape, and seriously doubt it would hold up to the winds all week. If sewing is not an option, I would probably consider goop, barge contact cement, or some other adhesive.

As for hot glue I've never tried it on the playa since I've seen so many folks suggest not using it that I would probably attach them with the same adhesive.

Hopefully some others will weigh in on this as well since I don't normally glue fabric too often.

Bounce530
Camp Name: BRC Guardian Landing pad

Post by Bounce530 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks DAB.
I wasn't at all sure about this bonding tape, but bought some since it was cheap.
What other people think about you is none of your business.

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Bounce530 wrote:Thanks DAB.
I wasn't at all sure about this bonding tape, but bought some since it was cheap.
Generally I find it is only useful for holding difficult to pin stuff together until I sew it.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:54 pm

DaB's right. Stitch Witchery and other bonding tape is gentle stuff. It can't be relied upon for a flag. There have been mixed reviews on hot glue. Some people said "It's let me down!" others have said "Never a problem!" It could be a matter of technique/workmanship.

Figjam was talking about GOOP (an adhesive) several posts up. I'll bet that stuff would work pretty well. I see that there is a Sport & Outdoor version which can repair tents, bike tubes, backpacks, raingear . . . oo, now I want some.

You could cut your flag to the size you want (but a couple of inches longer, so you have something to work with) and then run several stripes of GOOP on perhaps 3 sides of the flagpole, lay the pole down on the fabric and roll it carefully more than one full turn, such that the pole will glue to the fabric and then one more stripe to glue the fabric to itself. Then clamp it for a while. I've never tried this, mind you, but I believe it could work.

I just googled to see if there are spray sealants for your cut edges (I am more accustomed to fray check liquids, on small areas) and it turns out there are sprays! Fray Stop, Sprayway, etc.

You can also do your cutting with pinking shears (sawtooth scissors) to help limit fraying.

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Love Goop. it doesn't melt in the heat, but stays pliable, and can be pulled off semi smooth surfaces if needed.
high odor density (?) though, so don't use inside if odors are a problem for you.
http://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=34090
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I made a big FIGJAM pennent for my trike out of billboard vinyl.

I used 3 screws to attach it to the pvc pole.

No problems yet. :lol:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”