Costume & Crafting Help

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Re: Costume & Crafting Help

Post by tahiti_treat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:29 pm

Soooo I want to make an outfit similar to this:

I'm struggling with how to do the skirt part. I can't figure out how I should make the tentacles - make them separately and add them to a waistband, or cut out the whole thing in one piece? And how to keep them light enough to wear, compressable for transport, but still have structure? I won't have room to pack it if I can't squish it down quite a bit, so I'm thinking fiberfill will have to do. The top part is no problem - I'll probably just use an existing corset.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Some sort of wire in the fiber fill would give you the ability to pose the arms. Coat hanger?
Sic Semper Spectatores

sugarhigh
Burning Since: 2013

Post by sugarhigh » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Oh man, I am in love with that octopus skirt. I'm sure there is more than one way to do this successfully, but let me try to explain how I would attempt it...

First, I would design it as a drop-waist skirt, to accommodate the corset that will sit lower on your hips. You want the tentacles to flair out at the bottom of the corset, not at your natural waist.

The tentacles look like they're cut out separately, but then sewed together to make the upper layer (the dark part), and then do the exact same for the lower, lighter colored layer.

You would then sew the upper and lower layer together, leaving a small opening to stuff the fiberfill in, just like a stuffed animal. Then there's the issue of having the skirt compressible vs. having moldable tentacles. I would somehow leave openings on the inside of the skirt for each tentacle, where you could insert a wire of sorts (maybe a coat hanger?) after removing it from your suitcase.

That's a quick and dirty explanation. I don't mind explaining more in detail if you're interested, I would just need to do some sketches first.
Love is a potion that gives your life a soul

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:34 pm

Don't use coat hangers. That wire is very hard, you can only bend it with pliers. Armature wire, perhaps? Eric? Or ask at a hardware store--Not Home Despot--talk to someone knowledgeable at a good local hardware store, and Buy. It. There.

And remember, that after a while wire will become brittle and break.

And really think through how you're going to sit down.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Don't use coat hangers. That wire is very hard, you can only bend it with pliers. Armature wire, perhaps? Eric? Or ask at a hardware store--Not Home Despot--talk to someone knowledgeable at a good local hardware store, and Buy. It. There.
Coat hangers are a menace. They also snag on everything and get in the way. You'll end up with tons of them as they slowly fill your closet for different purchases. I don't even feel bad throwing them away because their metal is so annoying to use and shape, not to mention getting injured by trying to use them.

Some good wire is solid-core copper wire. You can get some in 10-14 gauge for relatively cheap (e.g. this or this), or you can get some from places like Home Despot or others by the foot for in-home electrical wiring. The copper is relatively easy to bend, but you may need some pliers for some sharper angles. Make sure it's not cheap copper-coated aluminum craft wire though, and it needs to be solid, not stranded (e.g. speaker wire). I had a spool of 12-gauge grounding wire and it worked great for whatever I needed it for, but that can be expensive.

Other nice wire to use for crafting and shaping is chicken wire, though it's not so good for just giving something a "bone" structure like a cloth tentacle.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 am

Regardless of the metal you use to stiffen your tentacles, bend the ends into a loop. Getting jabbed with coat hanger as someone walks by isn't as bad as I imagine stepping on rebar would be, but it can leave a nasty puncture.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 am

theCryptofishist wrote:And really think through how you're going to sit down.
:lol: I thought of that issue last night after I went to bed. I may have to alter the plan a bit.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 am

couple thoughts:

make one prototype tentacle before you make a large number of them that don't work

try something like plastic flex conduit for support. Sew a 2nd layer of fabric as part of the top, like a doubled hem with a nylon or leather bootlace or equivalent inside the sleeve end tied strongly to the tip of the flex conduit. Fill the rest of the tentacle with fiberfill. pulling on the bootlace should pull the tip up. If you are lucky or creative you can bring the strings/laces together at the front of the skirt so you can adjust or even wave individual tentacles
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:52 am

I use coat hanger wires for a variety of sewing projects. The wire comes in many thicknesses. You won't be poking anyone. Just form the ends into a little loop. (Needle nosed pliers). Part of the secret to those tentacles is that they are all cut out differently. The shape of the pattern dictates which way the tentacle bends. They are going to be very long and heavy. The trick will be in the design. If I made it there would be no compressing it to a smaller size.

I have a poodle tail that sticks straight out on one of my costumes. One way to achieve that is... Attach your tentacles to a sturdy, snug fitting garment. Have the wire go through that garment and form a 2" loop that lies flat against your body. Hand sew that loop to the garment.

If you look closely at your photo you'll see she is holding one, one tip is off camera, one is tucked in to her waistband and one is probably safety pinned to the one she is holding. I guess they didn't figure out how to make them stand out.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

jola

Post by jola » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:01 am

I've spent the last week reading through this entire thread! lol SOOOOOO much awesome inspiration! This year will be my first out on the playa. Can't wait to share some of my creations with you all. Thanks for all the hints and tips!

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:20 am

Welcome jola and congratulations!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:03 pm

jola wrote:I've spent the last week reading through this entire thread! lol SOOOOOO much awesome inspiration! This year will be my first out on the playa. Can't wait to share some of my creations with you all. Thanks for all the hints and tips!
Jola! You will also love Ratty's "Start with What You Have" thread, if you haven't read it already. :D
viewtopic.php?f=279&t=53078
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

jola

Post by jola » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Savannah, thanks for the tip! I've been lurking over there as well. EXCELLENT ideas! I don't mind sewing, don't love it, but I'll do it. But I can't seem to make clothes no matter what, too long, too short, too tight, too big... LOVE the idea of using what you have and altering it or adorning it, etc!

Any ideas??
I have a few bags of craft pom poms. Wondering what I could do with them. I'm thinking if I use the right kind of glue or a stitch here or there it won't make a moopy mess. Was thinking of some sort of wirey skirt with them, but I feel like that would fall apart/be a pain to pack, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:22 pm

Jola, I've glued pompoms in my ArtCar using clear silicone caulk. It holds better than any fiber glue or hot glue gun. If you've ever gotten silicone on your clothes by accident you know it's nearly impossible to get it off. It holds up in heat, wet dusty, pretty much every condition on the Playa. I suggest you get a skirt that fits comfortably (thrift store or your own closet) and glue poms right on it.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:35 am

Jola, in the thread Savannah linked, our lovely Ratty gave the tip of slitting the side/back seam of an existing piece of clothing you like but doesn't fit right, then punching holes on both sides of the seam and using a long ribbon to lace the pieces back together. This makes for very flexible sizing, allows air movement, looks neat, and is super easy to do. I used it once to "rescue" a friend's thrift store dress find for costume party.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am

I've picked up a fair share of tiny pompoms as MOOP, but I think they fell off a bike rather than a costume. Maybe a parasol.

I have big orange pompoms, I threaded them into long strands and hung them off a hair clip:
orangepompomwig.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:56 pm

AntiM wrote:I've picked up a fair share of tiny pompoms as MOOP, but I think they fell off a bike rather than a costume. Maybe a parasol.

I have big orange pompoms, I threaded them into long strands and hung them off a hair clip:
orangepompomwig.JPG
The big poms are extra good!!!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:51 am

This is one of my favorite pastimes. I collect ideas for burners to easily make or convert clothes into haunting couture. Over 2,000 little pictures to paw through.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:20 am

Ratty wrote:This is one of my favorite pastimes. I collect ideas for burners to easily make or convert clothes into haunting couture. Over 2,000 little pictures to paw through.
Aaaaaand there goes my morning.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:50 am

morning?? It is going to take days and weeks to make 10% of that stuff, let alone wear it the first time to check fit and crowd reaction... If the police get called, it's def a winner
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:55 pm

EspressoDude, I like the way you think!
:coffee:

bedlamdoll
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Post by bedlamdoll » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:12 pm

Ratty, your Pintrest board is a wonderful, dangerously inspiring place....

tahiti_treat

Post by tahiti_treat » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:13 am

Love it, Ratty! What a great resource. Thank you for sharing.

kiss-o-matic

Post by kiss-o-matic » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:55 pm

EmilyD wrote:Jola, I've glued pompoms in my ArtCar using clear silicone caulk. It holds better than any fiber glue or hot glue gun. If you've ever gotten silicone on your clothes by accident you know it's nearly impossible to get it off. It holds up in heat, wet dusty, pretty much every condition on the Playa. I suggest you get a skirt that fits comfortably (thrift store or your own closet) and glue poms right on it.
You got a product name? All that stuff here is written in chicken scratch style script, so I generally just order off of the internets. I've got a few pom pom ideas for this year. ;)
Ratty wrote:This is one of my favorite pastimes. I collect ideas for burners to easily make or convert clothes into haunting couture. Over 2,000 little pictures to paw through.
Well God damn... I was just sitting there the other day thinking, "what the hell use is Pinterest?" and in one tiny post made it the coolest place on the internet.

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:13 am

kiss-o-matic wrote:You got a product name? All that stuff here is written in chicken scratch style script, so I generally just order off of the internets. I've got a few pom pom ideas for this year. ;)
there are literally dozens of similar products at amazon or home despot
GE Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant RTV100 Series RTV108 by GE
or GE silicone II
Collapse first and avoid the rush

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 am

Joeln wrote:there are literally dozens of similar products at amazon or home despot
*brain jams from over abundance of choice*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:49 am

I dare not click on Ratty's Pinterest until I am particularly well-hydrated and have 5 or 6 hours to spare. :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

jola

Post by jola » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:58 am

I just spent huge portions of the last 3 days going through Ratty's pinterest board. SO many ideas!

kiss-o-matic

Post by kiss-o-matic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 pm

Joeln wrote:
kiss-o-matic wrote:You got a product name? All that stuff here is written in chicken scratch style script, so I generally just order off of the internets. I've got a few pom pom ideas for this year. ;)
there are literally dozens of similar products at amazon or home despot
GE Silicone Rubber Adhesive Sealant RTV100 Series RTV108 by GE
or GE silicone II
I'll check the local handy man shop. I'm just trying to get by
1) It being named/called something else
2) it actually not being used/sold here (unlikely, but there is basically no insulation in homes, so yeah...)
3) having to actually ask someone that works at the shop and have to explain what I want assuming "silicon" doesn't work. My Japanese is fluent, but my experience in talking about adhesive products: zero.

And one last question about this adhesive: is it likely to hold pom poms on that are sat on?

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:42 pm

The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”