wearing eye glasses on the playa.. goggles vs. other stuff

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Ithaca

wearing eye glasses on the playa.. goggles vs. other stuff

Post by Ithaca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:35 pm

Im blind as a bat and i need my glasses to survive. and i never wear contacts.
how will this do with the playa dust?
does anyone know if these type of goggles really work alright over the glasses?

http://www.safetycompany.com/uvex-steal ... 0#features

are goggles only really needed during dust storms? you dont wear them all the time right?

what about tint... clear, grey, amber, dark?

and while im at it what about the differences between needing a simple bandana vs. a dust mask, vs. a respirator?

thanks!
Ithaca

skinnay

Post by skinnay » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 pm

no you don't need them all the time, but when the dust starts kicking around you better have them handy. I have sensitive eyes and prefer the darkest possible tint, it gets fucking bright out there. If you do you should also get some clear ones for night.

For covering your face, a bandana worked fine for me, but you will see a few with dust masks. If anything, I'd want dusk masks for the porta-pottys. I've never understood what some people are eating out there...

Ithaca

Post by Ithaca » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:58 pm

thanks so much for the input!
i think just clear will be ok, because i have a pair of Rx sunglasses that i can wear under the goggles.

i also think maybe just bandanas will be ok for me (in the porta potties as well) saves me one less thing to purchase
Ithaca

much2naughty2

Post by much2naughty2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:58 pm

I wear glasses all the time and use this same type googles to ride my ATV. Very comfortable with glasses, as long as you don't have huge frames or weird shaped frames.

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:02 pm

You have to try them over the glasses to be sure.

I buy from safety equipment places but you can take a chance on mail order.

You may never need them, or you might have to wear them for days.

I don't use tints.
If you have a good hat, not an issue.

The most important thing to make sure you have.

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:17 am

gyre wrote:You have to try them over the glasses to be sure.

I buy from safety equipment places but you can take a chance on mail order.

You may never need them, or you might have to wear them for days.

I don't use tints.
If you have a good hat, not an issue.

The most important thing to make sure you have.
I wear glasses so I like to try them on before I buy them. I get them from the eye protection/safety isle at Home Depot. Just look for some cheap goggles that fit you and, if they have any vents or holes in them you can seal them up using electrical tape. It's a cheap way to try on goggles and make "okay" goggles into pretty playa-worthy ones. Trust me, you won't be comfortable wearing fancy goggles during an 8 hour white-out but you won't be too uncomfortable wearing the cheap ones either. Also, because they use a flat face you can cut and install lighting gel to give them a fun tint. You can see the world in Rosco #305 tinted goggles!
It was better next year. -Burners

mudpuppy000
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: THE BELLIGERENT GAP

Post by mudpuppy000 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:29 am

I had goggles but I found that most of the time I got by with my prescription sunglasses that were the wrap around type. If you have "normal" sunglasses I don't think they'd be that effective.

bluesbob
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: AV

Post by bluesbob » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:37 am

One thing not mentioned is eyeglass holders. I went out and bought the type that go on my glasses and around my neck. I bought one for each pair of glasses I'm bringing. Although its never happened, I'm being cautious about my glasses flying off my face while having fun, or absentmindedly leaving them somewhere. (On the lost and found forum from years back, there are quite a few threads regarding eyeglasses, I don't want to be posting myself in a few months)

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:46 am

I rarely use goggles but bring them every year.

I have found that goggles fog up and sweat up then just create mud in ~ 10 minutes.

Wrap around motorcycle type shades with foam padding on the inside rim work best for me.

YMMV

phil

Post by phil » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:35 am

During a dust storm (when you wear the goggles), it's not bright, so having tinted shades may be a hindrance; this is especially so at night.

I have a pair of Navy surplus goggles they issue to flight deck crews, and they fit over my wire frame glasses. Louise has glasses with a very wide ear piece, and no goggles fit over her glasses and seal.

I've worn the Navy goggles for long times during the day with my contacts and at night, and I've not had a problem with fogging or sweating because they are ventilated and breathe without letting in dust. I'm sure other goggles are just as good at letting the sweat escape, but some are definitely not good and do fog and create a steambath for your face.

You take a chance on whatever you try the first time. Your mileage will definitely vary.

ricochet
Burning Since: 2005

Post by ricochet » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:12 pm

I took a Dremel to a couple of old pairs of glasses and trimmed the lenses down to fit into goggles. One night, one day pair. Worked great. Take care cutting and grinding the glass, though. Be sure to use eye and lung protection, you do not want to be breathing glass dust. (OK, I admit it, I just wore glasses and a bandanna while working on that.)

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:17 pm

No shit.

Glass dust inhaled = silicosis

ricochet
Burning Since: 2005

Post by ricochet » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:18 pm

OK, I admit it: I wore a bandanna and held my breath while working on that.

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:19 pm

gyre wrote:No shit.

Glass dust inhaled = silicosis
probably not that simple...........but, good to be cautious.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Seems to be.
No variation in susceptibility as with asbestos, as far as I know.

There's a highway tunnel in west virginia, I think, with a plaque.
The volcanic glass is supposed to have killed every single worker that worked on it.

It was when the usa became aware of silicosis risk, if not the rest of the world.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”