Playa Boots

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: Playa Boots

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:45 am

Barefoot, YES!
followed by vinegar/water rinse & moisturizing lotion before socks and fab boots...

BREAK IN YOUR FOOTWEAR before playa testing...
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

SquirrelHead
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by SquirrelHead » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:01 am

DOH!! I keep forgetting to figure out boots for the trip. My burgin brain is overwhelmed at times, I admit it. It is now highlighted on the list of things that need to be done.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

It's like a flamingo circle jerk up in here. - BoyScoutGirl

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:20 am

Nike Air Huaraches.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:16 am

SquirrelHead wrote:DOH!! I keep forgetting to figure out boots for the trip. My burgin brain is overwhelmed at times, I admit it. It is now highlighted on the list of things that need to be done.
My burgin brain has been having these random "squee!" moments the past two weeks. I'll be driving home, or shopping for food and my stomach will go all squirrely and I'll start grinning manically with the knowledge that I'm going to Burning Man. It happened at the office one too. It's getting harder to control.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Jax Dee
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Dye With Dignity

Post by Jax Dee » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 pm

VultureChow wrote:
SquirrelHead wrote:DOH!! I keep forgetting to figure out boots for the trip. My burgin brain is overwhelmed at times, I admit it. It is now highlighted on the list of things that need to be done.
My burgin brain has been having these random "squee!" moments the past two weeks. I'll be driving home, or shopping for food and my stomach will go all squirrely and I'll start grinning manically with the knowledge that I'm going to Burning Man. It happened at the office one too. It's getting harder to control.
Lol, I still do that and I am on year 4. I'm not sure it fades :)
May All Beings Be Well
May All Beings Be Happy
May All Beings Be Free From Suffering
-Buddhist Blessing

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur/MASH@404: Village Not Found

Post by Foxfur » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:31 am

Though seemingly oxymoronic, I wear my US army issued jungle boots. I feel they're much better than the army desert boots. The nylon fabric uppers breathe much better than the desert leather uppers. They are much lighter as well. My old ones are from the early 90's. I just picked up a new pair. the price was right at $27. Admittedly, they're made in China but fit well. Be sure to break your boots in pre-playa...
Wear 'em while mowing the lawn or other 1 - 2 hour tasks at first.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

incubus_pantomime
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Post by incubus_pantomime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:18 am

Just bought my brother and I jungle boots from the local army surplus store. They were new, but thankfully the store was having a sale, and they were almost half price. Now we just need to break them in!

If anyone is interested in getting boots, Top Brass was the store with the sale. If you're not living in Houston, you can visit their website and order them online. :)
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"

Boijoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Post by Boijoy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:49 am

Just purchased these for this year. Im thinking rubber slip ons might be a good idea.

don't forget to floss

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:Just bought my brother and I jungle boots from the local army surplus store. They were new, but thankfully the store was having a sale, and they were almost half price. Now we just need to break them in!

If anyone is interested in getting boots, Top Brass was the store with the sale. If you're not living in Houston, you can visit their website and order them online. :)
I recently picked up a new pair of jungles for $27 @ Andy n Bax in Portland, OR. They're made in China, meh. I'm thinking about bringing them out to the playa. My old ones won't take a shine 'cause they're so ratty. I love to spit shine my boots out there. It's a nice touch and draws comments, especially from other vets.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:45 pm

Hey what would be the best glue to glue my soul of my shoe back on?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:49 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:Hey what would be the best glue to glue my soul of my shoe back on?
Barge contact cement is what most shoe makers use for soles - not sure what spiritual cement to use for souls lol.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:54 pm

I step on peoples souls duh! Havent you seen the hate for me on Facebook? ;)

Thanks DAB.

You think gorilla glue might work? I have heard it does.
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ugly Dougly
Burning Since: 1996

Post by Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:57 pm

How about a nice pair of Jack Boots?

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:10 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I step on peoples souls duh! Havent you seen the hate for me on Facebook? ;)

Thanks DAB.

It might, my only experience with gorilla glue is on wood so I have no opinion on it for shoes.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:13 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I step on peoples souls duh! Havent you seen the hate for me on Facebook? ;)

Thanks DAB.

Second vote for Barge cement, and I can vouch it will survive the playa- if you follow the instructions! If you don't have some cheap C clamps (I didn't), buy some; I also recommend getting some small pieces of scrap wood to put in the shoe that are at least as long as the area being glued.

Clean the area, apply glue as recommended on the tube, slide in the wood, C-clamp the wood down (to distribute the pressure), leave alone for at least 24 hours. I left mine clamped for two days (I live in a cool climate) just to be safe. The shoe I repaired has survived two years on the playa (it's twin, which hadn't been glued, failed last year; I still need to repair it)
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:16 pm

Robot Steve will be very disappointed that no one's suggested GOOP yet.

For gluing shoes you need something that's strong and flexible. I think last time we went through this there was nothing that satisfied all those who stuck their oars in. I'm not going to search for it, but GOOP might be one possible search term.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:35 pm

I've tried both GOOP & SHOE GOOP in the past, I like Barge Cement much better for shoe repair.

Of course, I have about 12 different glues around here for specific uses - I am not a "one glue fits all" kind of guy...
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

International Incident
Camp Name: P6 - a Barbie Death Village production

Post by International Incident » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Got my NEW playa boots. No more blunnies covered in old paint and scuffed edges for me.

I’ve gone all class. Black, 3/4 calf length firm sole, lined with check fabric, zips that work, non leather, wonder boots!

Wearing them in at the moment - they will need extra insoles as I have flat feet - but so far so good.

Anyway just wanted to report that as I feeling damn proud of myself for actually going into a shop and buying shoes (I hate shoe shopping).

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:44 pm

Eric wrote:

Thanks DAB.

Second vote for Barge cement, and I can vouch it will survive the playa- if you follow the instructions! If you don't have some cheap C clamps (I didn't), buy some; I also recommend getting some small pieces of scrap wood to put in the shoe that are at least as long as the area being glued.

Clean the area, apply glue as recommended on the tube, slide in the wood, C-clamp the wood down (to distribute the pressure), leave alone for at least 24 hours. I left mine clamped for two days (I live in a cool climate) just to be safe. The shoe I repaired has survived two years on the playa (it's twin, which hadn't been glued, failed last year; I still need to repair it)
Well actually that is doing it the hard way. Apply barge to both sides to be glued in a thin layer (squeeze some on then squeegee it with a business card) and allow to dry until barely tacky. Then press them together - it is an instant bond on contact. Just putting it on and walking a bit should secure it, but if you want to be sure it can be clamped. The whole concept behind contact cement is that it doesn't need clamping.

Keep in mind that doing it any other way lessens the quality of the bond - i.e.: dont squeeze a bunch on then press the 2 pieces together, it requires a thin, almost dry layer on both halves to work as intended.

Foxfur

Post by Foxfur » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:16 pm

TG, Little Foxfur refuses to believe this. I'd like an example or two, dear...

On the subject of Barge cement, yep, it rawks.
When I was an army bachelor I used it to glue (instead of sewing) the patches onto my uniforms. After 20 years and gawd knows how many washings they're still there. The tube was 10 years old and half used when I got it from my grandfather's workshop...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Currently testing the gorilla glue as it is all I have if it is no good I am bringing the barge stuff with me

Eric

Post by Eric » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:43 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Eric wrote:apply glue as recommended on the tube
Apply barge to both sides to be glued in a thin layer (squeeze some on then squeegee it with a business card) and allow to dry until barely tacky. Then press them together - it is an instant bond on contact.
Um, that's how I do it (hence the "apply glue as recommended on the tube"). I clamp & wait because I've had it fail before, and when you're wearing knee-high platform boots you do not want them failing as you walk. Had a friend break his foot that way on the playa in '10. Call it the "overkill" method of attempting to make sure my boots hold up.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

tattoogoddess

Post by tattoogoddess » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 am

Well it seems to have worked. Pulled and Pulled and they are not going anywhere. Although it gewed out the sides so now i have to file it down and paint where I filed. Splurge for next year. New Boots. I have had these for like 7 years.

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:42 am

shiny shiny leather...
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:54 am

We live, deaf to the land beneath us,
Ten steps away no one hears our speeches,

But where there’s so much as half a conversation
The Kremlin’s mountaineer will get his mention.

His fingers are fat as grubs
And the words, final as lead weights, fall from his lips,

His cockroach whiskers leer
And his boot tops gleam.

Around him a rabble of thin-necked leaders -
Fawning half-men for him to play with.

They whinny, purr or whine
As he prates and points a finger,

One by one forging his laws, to be flung
Like horseshoes at the head the eyes or the groin.

And every killing is a treat
For the broad-chested Ossette.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:41 am

"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

daft

Post by daft » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:50 pm

Thinking about taking my old ugg hi tops and spray painting them.

The Hustler

Re: Re:

Post by The Hustler » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:45 am

AntiM wrote:
MisaBlue wrote:The boots are as sexy as YOU make them :)
Those are simple army boots from ordinary army shop I bought from one doctor who served in Afghanistan...in real not sexy at all, but on playa? Hell yeah!

We have the same boots....
Last year I wore a pair of Air Force desert boots (The Panama sole version) and they were retarded comfortable. In central and coastal Texas they're comfortable in the brutal summer so I figured they would be fine.
This year, i may wear some black, 8-eyelet Doc Marten boots, which may prove to be a bad idea since they get hot int he sun.

The military desert boots are awesome, just like kaki or digital cammoflauge version of the army uniform shirts )ACU) are outrageously comfortable and functional.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

The Hustler

Post by The Hustler » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:47 am

Fufa wrote:I ended up buyin' these babies. Time to break them in!

The break in period is brutal, but after that they're sweet.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Jiā yóu!

Fufa
Burning Since: 2010

Post by Fufa » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:41 am

Yah, it definitely was. I got a lot of blisters. Then after I had to wear the 20h over one weekend for a motorcycle course, BAM broken in. :mrgreen:

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”