How many outfits or costumes do you bring?

What to wear? What not to wear? Where to find and how to make anything from goggles to fantastic pieces of playawear.
gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Re: How many outfits or costumes do you bring?

Postby gaminwench » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 am

You don't need pants!

Sarong, tutu, booty shorts, kilt, tights with superhero shorts (or not!), belt with scarves/ties/whatevah dangling, obnoxious print cotton caftan/muumuu (you'll love this!)... get out of that box, sir!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

thirt33n
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Playa Name "Crux"

Postby thirt33n » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:26 am

blow.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:46 am

Irreverent Moniker wrote: You go into any men's section and it's all blacks and browns, walk over to the women's area and it's like getting a blow job from a rainbow.

Quote of the day!
or maybe
Quote of a few weeks ago!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:05 am

Seriously, my closet looks like a parrot exploded.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:09 am

That parrot wouldn't explode if you put 6,000,000 volts through it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby swampdog » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:31 pm

really cool stuff I like that is only a few bucks.

Nailed it. That's what it's all about, right there. Cool stuff that you like. As noted above, do consider the basics of survival and comfort, and after that... One cool thing about BMan is you can experiment. Want to wear a wedding dress? Go for it, who cares. You find out you hate wearing a wedding dress? Cool, gift it on, who cares. It's about what makes you feel good and happy about being you.

wrt pants, btw, consider checking out skirts. Skirts totally rock. They're easy to fit, you can get fun colors, and they're very comfy to wear on a hot day.

Although I find myself wondering - what the hell is it that takes a woman in a skirt a long time in the bathroom? Man, talk about your easy access.

You do need to be careful to keep your skirties out of your bicycle chain though

NutmegBasil

Postby NutmegBasil » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:54 pm

No one really needs pants. Ever heard of Shirt cocking?
"someone broke the ultamit commandment?"though shall drink water or lest yee die like a stupid motherfucker?"

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm

In the pants department, go hit up the Levi's web site (or the site for Dickie's, the guys who make work clothes) and look for something in a non-traditional color that you think you might like. That way you get a piece of clothing you're comfortable wearing, but removed a bit from mainstream.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:03 pm

Dictator Bob wrote:Hey thanks for all the replies! I've been busy hunting at thrift stores. I don't know if I've found much in the way of costumes as much as I've had an adventure discovering really cool stuff I like that is only a few bucks. I don't think I can do as much retail store shopping as I used to after this. I've mashed together some ensembles and have slowly started coordinating with my girlfriends on what to wear. Thank God for creative women!

To be honest I have been pretty nervous. I'm such a t-shirts and jeans kinda guy till I die. The idea that I can meet people actually willing to help me is pretty exciting. I think I'll definitely check out some of the costume camps and try to meet people and get some friendly advice. One funny thing that has surfaced is my collection of hats. I've always liked hats. But now ... since this journey all began ... fuck man I have like 20 hats.

I'm bringing every damn one of them.

But I'm really low on pants ... I need pants.

thanks again!

dib

I'm really glad you're getting to play around with clothing choice, and am enjoying your happiness secondhand. I deplore how men in Western culture are generally still discouraged from self-expression in clothing.

If you must wear pants, think billowy (for at least a pair or two). They'll be more comfortable, not to mention they'll look really cool when the wind blows. :)

(Unless you choose skin-tight because you've always wanted to.)

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:26 pm

NutmegBasil wrote:No one really needs pants. Ever heard of Shirt cocking?

Um. I need pants. Really. First off, in my case it would be Shirt Strap-oning. (awning?) B) I am in a particular situation that involves sitting on a cushion every day. There are exceptions to just about every grand pronouncement.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Yes, and you are exeptional. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Marscrumbs

Postby Marscrumbs » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:54 pm

This is how I normally look when I go out of the house.

Trishntek
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Trishntek » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:15 pm

A few shemaghs a skirt/kilt or three maybe a moomoo and mostly leather loin clothes during the day.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!

Foxfur
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:54 am

No kidding on the ladies rack. I've had some good luck @ Goodwill. So many better fabrics than over on our racks. And the shorts? Wonderful! It's the ONLY way to find ones that aren't baggy, covered with stupid sports logos, and actually come up above the knees. Some of em come waaay up... Plus, you won't find those low-waist hiphuggers in men's... The pants are amazing too. Lightweight fabrics that breathe. I mainly buy cute camos (found some nylon camo capris), khaki, and olive drab utility / cargo pants. Then there's that pair of super tight stretch jeans with 'easy access' side zippers from ankle to waist! And there's no way in hell you're gonna find a killer skirt in men's. You may get some odd looks as you skip to the changing rooms... I got a few smiles as well :D Just be prepared for some friction with the ladies. They sometimes seem a bit territorial when we invade their section. Just smile and give em a wink. If you're really concious about gender, The sportswear / active aparrel racks are more or less unisex. Look for running, biking, or track & field stuff. Comfy.
For costume type outfits It's mostly the above with some accoutrements: Shoulder pads, bulletproof vest, kevlar helmet, fur coats, leather everything, and whatever else my wife thinks I should wear. Let your wife, husband, girl/boyfriend, kids dress you funny! A good friend is giving me her purple sparkly jumpsuit she used to wear in the 80's! I've always loved that thing, swoon... One more thing Goodwill has that you need: medical scrubs. Awesome desertwear.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:57 pm

When the ladies give you funny looks, roll your eyes up in your head, put on your most maniacal grin, and in your deepest voice say "I'm going to burning man and I need clothes heh heh."
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:11 pm

That's exactly what I do! Except the voice I do is Charles Nelson Riley, heh heh.
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

foofieq44

Postby foofieq44 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks for all the ideas for costumes, clothing, and places to shop! This will be my first year at BM and I've been wondering how crazy to go with the costumes. Definitely bringing my foam whale hat and thinking about decorating some moon shoes as well! :D

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:28 pm

foofieq44 wrote:Thanks for all the ideas for costumes, clothing, and places to shop! This will be my first year at BM and I've been wondering how crazy to go with the costumes. Definitely bringing my foam whale hat and thinking about decorating some moon shoes as well! :D

Footwear! I don't have any footwear!
The Lovely One says I don't need a bed or mattress, that I can just sleep atop the mountain of clothes I'm bringing...
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

Nymue

Postby Nymue » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:46 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Irreverent Moniker wrote: You go into any men's section and it's all blacks and browns, walk over to the women's area and it's like getting a blow job from a rainbow.

Quote of the day!
or maybe
Quote of a few weeks ago!

+1!
Locked up inside you
Like the calm beneath castles
Is a cavern of treasure that
No one has been to.
Let's go digging.
- Tool, 4°

crazyprotein

Postby crazyprotein » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:13 pm

3 daytime outfits, but they all go with the same boots. 2 dresses and one shorts + vest combo.
I wear pretty much the same look at night, but have different tutus, corsets, gloves and such
1 set of clothes for cold nights in the camp, cargo pants, jacket, hoodie, long underwear
You should have bought a squirrel

crazyprotein

Postby crazyprotein » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:14 pm

ah yes, I mostly shop at Upper Haight in San Francisco
also, surprisingly, American Apparel, there's some crazy shit in that store :)))))

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:09 pm

crazyprotein wrote:ah yes, I mostly shop at Upper Haight in San Francisco
also, surprisingly, American Apparel, there's some crazy shit in that store :)))))

That's who made my hot pants. Now those are crazy!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

crazyprotein

Postby crazyprotein » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:22 pm

it's crazy in a fun way :)
I got two dresses for Burning Man there, that look hot hot hot with leather boots, belt and cowboy hat :)

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:37 pm

Too many, and never enough.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Dictator Bob

Postby Dictator Bob » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:26 pm

I made a hat! Because the 20 hats I already have were seriously not enough!! They also match a pair of women's paisly purple pants my girlfriend made for me. It was like getting a blowjob from a purple rainbow.

haha thanks again!

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Postby skibear » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:22 pm

Too many !!!!!!!!!!!
I just finishing sorting them at the Reno motel :shock:

Ladies hot pants, skirts, silly hats. One racy black undie item may
be trouble- instant "wardrobe malfunction" if I walk 10 ft!!!! :oops:

I may have to give some to BRC Boutique.
crash & burn ski lessons given

Lollipop
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Light and Illusion

Postby Lollipop » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:13 pm

RedHeaven wrote:I bring whatever I can fit into a big bin. I separate stuff using 2 gallon ziploc baggies. Even if I don't zip up the baggies all the time (lets face it, I do get a little lazy) it still helps protect it from dust so its a little fresher mid week. I use a big bin and do not overfill it so it can close securely when not in use.

Everyone has their own speed, I wear stuff I wear to festivals but show a little more skin (because Burning man makes me feel less self conscious than ANY other place on earth) and my #1 is COMFORT. Everything else is secondary. I like to protect my hair because it is fragile so I use dorky trendy burner hair falls and fun bun covers and wrap my hair up with conditioner. But if my hair was a bit stronger I would just braid it or let it go and deep condition thruout the week.

I just decorate a little bit....Some fun face paint, big burly combat boots, cotton in the daytime. Sarongs are good for keeping the sun off my shoulders, they can be dipped in water to cool you off (but when a dust storm hits you turn into sandy sanderson) and they are pretty and colorful.

comfortable tight gloves can be fun to wear (I actually sport a garden kind that are rubbery and thin and stretchy) if you get dry hands easily and your skin cracks.

Lots of socks of course because I get playa foot and my skin is dry.

I just get extra decorative myself, I dont go for lavish costumes. Maybe I'll plan ONE.

Of COURSE, any kind of lighting at night. I hang a small LED flashlight around my neck and keep it on plus wear some colored lights. I dont like to blink though, I save the blinkers for the bike so people can approach me without having a seizure ;)

Some good posts in this thread. I remember my first year (2005) I had to go thru a big Rites of Passage of getting to know who I was, all thru costuming. I knew I didnt look as cool and pretty as some of my friends, and everywhere I went with my girl friends they would get more attention than I did. It really made me panic that there was no way I could compete with all the great looking costumes out there.
Then mid week I was realizing that i WAS meeting people, but they were MY kind of people, not just anyone......I was attracting who was right for me to talk to. I realized that many people in BRC are not so shallow that they base people on their looks. this is a common misconception about people who do not attend Burning Man: That people are ALL fashion snobs. Not true.
5 years later into the burn and I know who I am, I have become my own style. I dont have a lot of money but I make things myself, as thrown together as they are they are MY style. Ive gotten PLENTY of great comments and vibes from people EVERY year I go just because I have a good attitude and smile and am not worried about that stuff. I'm doing something right and it aint being the coolest dressed there.
I realized that Burning Man had more Actual FUN interactive costumes (LIKE THE GUY ABOVE THAT POSTS ABOUT HIS SHARK FIN....that is awesome!!) and all the pretty costumes are great and they all just blend into the beautiful city, which every color and shade and style is a part of.
Sorry to go off just thought I would share that!

Wonderful, wonderful advice. You helped me feel better about not knowing what to bring I will prep for the elements and just do what I like. :)
"You ARE The Good Witch Lollipop!"

http://istoppedtryingtopleaseyou.blogspot.com

Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:39 pm

Dictator Bob wrote:I made a hat! Because the 20 hats I already have were seriously not enough!! They also match a pair of women's paisly purple pants my girlfriend made for me. It was like getting a blowjob from a purple rainbow.

haha thanks again!

Nice Hat!!!
Life's too short to stick to just one gender section in the store.
BJ from a rainbow? We should all be so fortunate :D
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:

The Hustler
Camp Name: Journeylizm

Postby The Hustler » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:05 am

I packed for comfort.

Since I'm neither fashionable nor trendy, I decided I should be comfortable. And I was.

Although, the Utilikilts I saw were awesome.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.

Danger is funny

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:46 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:Although, the Utilikilts I saw were awesome.

But itchy and confining.
The Lady with a Lamprey

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”