Glasses

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
calsur

Glasses

Post by calsur » Sun Aug 01, 2004 11:48 pm

Just a few thoughts on the care and maintenance of you eye glasses, sun glasses and goggles. You will be cleaning them WAY more often than you would be at home. So you might want to take extra cleaning supplies and have them with you as you cruise.

And contact wearer might want to do the same.

As my glasses are actually glass I do not have experience with the lexan lenses and my astigmatism is so bad I can not wear contacts. So please add to this post on your experiances in this area.

robotland

Post by robotland » Mon Aug 02, 2004 7:24 am

Can't hurt to bring extra saline and a shot glass (if you're not ALREADY bringin' one...) or real eye cup, to do eyewashes with. I'm bringing TWO sets of backup disposable lenses.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

PurplMyst
Burning Since: 2004

Post by PurplMyst » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:01 am

For my fellow bespecticled burners:

*bring a hard case & keep it with you
*bring plain wet naps (no aloe, lotion or "fresh scent" added) for heavy duty cleaning
*when going to sleep (at least in your own dwelling) try to stash em in the same place every time so that you can remember where they are even in a slightly altered state and they're less likely to get stepped, sat on by accident.
"Those who danced were thought quite insane by those who did not hear the music"

Stormy

For Contact Wearers

Post by Stormy » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:03 am

I can't recommend daily wear lenses enough. Cleaning lenses on the playa can be challenging. If you can't afford to do daily lenses on a regular basis, ask your optiction for a 5 - 7 day sample pack.
Be the change you seek in the world.

Silver 2

Post by Silver 2 » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:57 am

Glasses, bring a extra pair just in case and keep them with your going home clothes.

calsur, dump the glass glasses and move to plastic, much lighter and less distortion. The scratch resistant lenses are now as good as glass. I am heavily astigmatic and until the catract surgery was also very nearsighted. For those of you who are very nearsighted -- hope for catracts, the replacement lenses can correct your nearsightedness. Without my glasss I can now recognize people more than 4 feet away by more than voice.

While I am on the subject and this is the Playa we are talking about. I asked the surgeon why my eyes went South so soon. He asked if I had ever spent a lot of time without sunglasses in the desert. I spent years that way. It seems that very dark eyes absorb heat and that over time this can damage the natural lenses. Light eyes are not as at risk.
I like playing with fire.

Selkie

Post by Selkie » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:34 am

Silver 2 wrote: While I am on the subject and this is the Playa we are talking about. I asked the surgeon why my eyes went South so soon. He asked if I had ever spent a lot of time without sunglasses in the desert. I spent years that way. It seems that very dark eyes absorb heat and that over time this can damage the natural lenses. Light eyes are not as at risk.
This is very much true. One of the first things I learned when I moved to Colorado is that it has the highest amount of cataracts incidences in the US. When you're at the higher elevations there is literally less atmosphere and therefore much stronger UV rays, which is frequently what causes cataracts.

Luckily I always wore sunglasses before coming to CO so it wasn't a huge adjustment for me. I can't go anywhere outside without pretty dark sunglasses on even when it's raining or kind of dark.
"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
~Mark Twain

Dork

Post by Dork » Mon Aug 02, 2004 10:35 am

I've had very good luck never removing or cleaning my contacts while on the playa. Normally, I take them out every night but not up there. It's next to impossible to get all that dust off your hands before putting in the contacts, so I figure the less I handle them the better. The one time I did feel a need to take a contact out, I tossed it in the garbage and grabbed a new one.

The biggest thing, in my opinion, is to NEVER touch your eyes. No rubbing whatsoever against the eyeballs. You can wipe the morning crud off the sides of your eye without applying pressure to your eyes. All rubbing is going to do is force more dust in there. Any dust that flies in from the wind will be expelled normally by your tears and eyelids. Have faith in them.

Also, always leave at least one set of contacts or glasses for the trip home.

nono

Post by nono » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:04 am

For those of us that do wear glasses in the desert I would recomend a anti-static spray. It helps to keep the dust away better than just a regular wiping does. I usually carry a bottle with me all over the city and clean glasses and sun glasses wherever I stop. It's always very appreciated.

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Re: Glasses

Post by Toe » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:39 am

I may be wrong but it almost seems like playa dust grabs oil off glasses lenses. I've wiped dust off my glasses using my t-shirt and they seem to come out as clean as if I'd used soap and water; no smudges.

Anyone else have this experience?

thnkfl
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Outpost Aught Naught Cipher Nothing

Post by thnkfl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:50 pm

Instead of wet naps, the best thing I've used is a small spray bottle of pure (cheap) vodka and a bit of TP for a wipe. It cleans immediately.
Make it, enjoy it, let it go.

some seeing eye
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Post by some seeing eye » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:13 pm

I know plastic/glass is a religious war, but I use glass lenses for scratch resistance, my prescription is mild.

Playa dust has a lot of silica grit that scratches.

It is easy to label your glasses with a name, camp location and phone. If you need glasses to pilot a motor vehicle out, carry a set dedicated to that. I always bring spares. Online eyeglass prices (in plastic) are very inexpensive.

For clear lenses, most people will not notice your eyeglass style if you have put some creative energy into your costume, accessories and headwear. Hey, rock those librarian eyeglass chains or the sporty river rafter straps.

For tinted sun lenses, you can be as bold as you like, everything goes with everything.

Yellow tinted lenses, prescription or not, block light colors that tell the brain whether it is day or whether we should be sleeping. Using those can help you control your sleep cycle. What's sleep, hahaha? (bring some blackout eye covers too)

If you need corrective eyewear to function, plan them with your goggles.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:31 am

I use ski goggles that are made to fit over your glasses. You can also cut a little notch in the foam on each side to make your own. Bring at least 2 pair. Tinted and clear.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Toe
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:46 am

Ah yes, ski goggles are what I use for sunglasses over my glasses. I haven't needed them at night.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am

I just went with safety goggles over mine. Did not seem to have any problems.
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”