UTILIKILT- HELP! I need one.

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Gothalot

UTILIKILT- HELP! I need one.

Post by Gothalot » Tue Aug 03, 2004 7:21 am

Hey does anyone in Los Angeles or SF or anywhere know where I can get a Utilikilt? If some one is kind enough to make me one I'll gladly pay for it.

Cheers,

Gothalot

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:03 am

Not sold retail.

You have to order from their site or catch them at a steer fair.

Orders take about 5-6 weeks to process.

You might get one used from this list but I doubt that Steve is gonna be persuaded to put you at the front of any list being so close to burn time.
Desert dogs drink deep.

mtbeer

Post by mtbeer » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:33 am

Call them up! www.utilikilts.com
They have a few in stock and can ship them out fast. Find your size and get an idea of what length\style you want before you check their inventory.
I just got mine last week and wear it everywhere.

Gothalot

Thanks!

Post by Gothalot » Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:42 am

Well I was able to get through to a very cool staff (thanks Dog!) I was fortunate enough to be blessed with one kilt in stock in my size and color, which at this time in the game and time of year is rare. Thanks for the contacts and thanks U.K. for looking hard for that one I needed.

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:34 am

Some of us who actually live in Seattle are often also able to meander on down to the shop and see what's in stock. Or give 'em a call, locally. Y'know.

Welcome to the Clan of Utilikilt!

:D

For future reference.
BANANAPHONE!

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:19 am

Freedom!!!! ( waits at the door for the UPS person)
Okay rub it in, yer local. Soon I will be one oh the clan. I'm fighting the urge to drink Scotch and cookin haggis.

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:27 am

Not to take haggis oot of the mouth of the nice Utilikilt folks, but you can make your own, too. If wearing a kilt REALLY made you Scottish, the paradox might be that you would then resent paying two hundred bucks for one! i picked up two pairs of Carhart heavyduty work shorts on clearance, and used material from one to make the front panel and extra pockets for the CarKilt made from the other pair. Patience, a sewing machine and snapsetting/riveting kit is all you need.
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:52 am

Right and some iota of sewing skills of which I nay possess. I knew I shouldn't have broken up with that clothing designer, damn she could sew.

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:25 am

Keep in mind that the Scots weren't the only ones to wear kilts. The Irish did it too.

I got my UK for the same reasons mentioned: easier than doing it myself with piss-poor sewing skills. When I first got it, two of the belt loops popped their stiches, but were quickly fixed by a local taylor.

So far the only thing I've noticed about wearing a kilt is that sweating is a bit funky. I hear that chaffing can be a problem in key spots on a guys anatomy due to the heavy fabric, but so far no problems.

And just for the record, men wear kilts. Women wear skirts.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:55 am

And just for the record, men wear kilts. Women wear skirts.
Eh, sometimes it's quite the opposite. : )

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:02 am

I just called and got a factory 2nd that will be shipped today (at a substantially reduced cost as well!)

1-866-666-MYUK (ask for Otto)

robotland

Post by robotland » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:14 am

Like, HOW reduced?

Oh, and Judge, if it chafes, you're just wearing it too high.

And why doesn't Utilikilts make Utilisporrans? It's not the same if you're not sportin' a Hairy Changepurse. (Uh, or two.....)
Howdy From Kalamazoo

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:40 am

Ivy's right some men do wear skirts. Im not a drag queen but its great comfy club wear - and oooh do the girls flock around ya wanting to explore yer manly side. Woot woot!

Gothalot

Post by Gothalot » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:43 am

robotland wrote:Like, HOW reduced?

Oh, and Judge, if it chafes, you're just wearing it too high.

And why doesn't Utilikilts make Utilisporrans? It's not the same if you're not sportin' a Hairy Changepurse. (Uh, or two.....)
I prefer to have my sporren neatly trimed and shaved. Uh oh TMI sorry.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:10 am

robotland wrote:Like, HOW reduced?
remember, factory second (one snap button torn loose, easily repaired with a snap anvil, which I have).... about 20% off

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:24 am

thedrunkenmonkey wrote:Some of us who actually live in Seattle are often also able to meander on down to the shop and see what's in stock. Or give 'em a call, locally. Y'know.

For future reference.
Yup. The least you could do is come up and visit to get your kilt. 15th avenue NW baby! In the heart of - INTERBAY!!!!
surlier than thou

thedrunkenmonkey

Post by thedrunkenmonkey » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:08 am

Rian Jackson wrote:
thedrunkenmonkey wrote:Some of us who actually live in Seattle are often also able to meander on down to the shop and see what's in stock. Or give 'em a call, locally. Y'know.

For future reference.
Yup. The least you could do is come up and visit to get your kilt. 15th avenue NW baby! In the heart of - INTERBAY!!!!
Heh. The first time I went by I was barrelling down past the Ballard Bridge looking frantically for it - then went "WHAT? THAT'S IT??? WTF, mate?"

I love my Utilikilts. Love 'em. And I'll gleefully pay full price for them, because dammit, they're cool, and sure, I could make my own, but they wouldn't be finished, they wouldn't support local industry and the labor market, and I wouldn't be wearing a unique NW garment.

Salmon love forever, man.
BANANAPHONE!

EB
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Asterix (3:45 and B in 2019)

Post by EB » Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:49 pm

Saw this thread, checked out the UTILIKILT web site, and now...

I've got a black mocker coming my way. Thanks for the heads up!

p.s. The guy on the phone was really cool. ("Are you shitting me? Of course we have that in stock!")
Irony. You're soaking in it.

frenchblue1

Post by frenchblue1 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:30 am

I called the store last week and they didn't have my size in the store but they told me to call back on Tuesday's because they take a lot with them to their shows on the weekends. If your searching for one make sure you do you measurements and drop them a line during the week.

Sensei

Post by Sensei » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:42 pm

The Alki Beach Music Festival was this weekend and guess who had a booth? Yep, and they had loads of 'em. They told me about a mass order they did for the Rangers a few years back...

Dusza Beben

Post by Dusza Beben » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:21 pm

I love my UK and will be adding more to the collection as soon as Christmas gets here. They aren't cheap, but they are extremely well made and cost less than half what a quality tartan would run you.

DB
Agripunk,
For the angry farmer in all of us.

buzcut

Post by buzcut » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:27 am

another place is amreikilt.

they have much of the same and alot less

mine came yesterday

verry well made and soft soft soft

lunarburns

Post by lunarburns » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:30 pm

Thanks for the insight and lead on the utilikilts. They were indeed very friendly and helpful.

Scored a workmans kilt should be here friday...WOOT
Praise the Flame

Lydia Love

Post by Lydia Love » Thu Aug 19, 2004 2:56 am

I freakin love the way guys look in utilikilts. It makes the playa just about the happiest place on earth for me.

Anyhoo, when we had some cashola we bought one for my husband. But then I found some great fabric and looked really hard at the kilt and figured I could make one and in the great spirit of DIY I did.

I just made myself one too (a mini, natch) out of some other fabulously ridiculous fabric.

I gotta say, if you've got the extra cash spend it on the actual item for all the reasons drunkenmonkey posted. It's a fuckload of sewing. BUT there is a happy glow that comes from making something yourself and if, like me, you have more time (and fabric) than money and you wanna give it a shot PM or email me and I'll send back directions for how to make something that will look not entirely unlike a utilikilt.

I may end up wearing mine every fucking day. It's that cute.
It's all about the squirrels.

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”