Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

What to wear? What not to wear? Come here to find and how to make anything you'd wear on your body - from goggles and playawear to bodypainting and adornments.
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: Start with what you have. It's easier and cheaper.

Post by Savannah » Tue May 01, 2018 12:42 pm

LOVE the ponytails, Ratty!

. . . And the silver.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:31 pm

So now what? Costumes and sensible clothing of course. There's still time to bling up that coat or cut off that dress. Hey you big guys will find the best stuff on the 'plus' racks at the 2nd hand store. Get the most outragous colors. You wont be sorry.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:36 am

I've been playing in the necktie box. This lovely thing is made from ties completely taken apart. It flows in the wind.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:43 am

This horrible zombie coat is just a sports coat sew and unsewn. I cut off the front and used it for tails. Then I cut off the cuffs and used them for epaulets. The logo on the back was sewn to the inside and THEN the back was cut away to reveal it. I'm getting ready for a costume class called, 'The costume is in your closet'. This will be fun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

easier and cheaper.

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:04 am

729192B9-D8C9-4BC7-8E8A-70F80F02AF8C.jpeg
Frida Be You & Me

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:25 pm

Ken and Betty Bundt from Minnesota!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm

Well, it's time to start thinking about playa clothes. They aren't exactly costumes. You could wear some of them to the store and not get a second look. These two are barely altered. The wine colored sweater has a shiny gold piece of a t-shirt sewn under the back of it. Then the sweater is cut away in a ragged fashion. The raggged pieces are zig-zaged to keep from unraveling.

The blue velvet dress was remade for a Christmas party. It's very large so I sewed some loops up the back, (in a pretty rough way. They don't match up at all.) This way it can be cinched tight. One size truely does fit all.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Wed May 15, 2019 1:49 am

Ratty wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:36 pm
Well, it's time to start thinking about playa clothes. They aren't exactly costumes. You could wear some of them to the store and not get a second look. These two are barely altered. The wine colored sweater has a shiny gold piece of a t-shirt sewn under the back of it. Then the sweater is cut away in a ragged fashion. The raggged pieces are zig-zaged to keep from unraveling.

The blue velvet dress was remade for a Christmas party. It's very large so I sewed some loops up the back, (in a pretty rough way. They don't match up at all.) This way it can be cinched tight. One size truely does fit all.
That's a great way to take in any top, with the loops! Thanks for the inspiration, Ratty!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 15, 2019 7:47 am

This painted lovely is only a wisp of see through fabric. First thing I cut out the lining. Then I tried a tye-dye with spray paint technique in black. When I tried it in flouresent orange the can was faulty. It dripped everywhere so I didn't fight it. Lastly a light sprinkling of gold. I'll never wear it but it was fun to make.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 16, 2019 7:06 am

This old thing...I decided to sew it all by hand while watching TV. I christen it, 'Intentionally Shabby'. Part of the front is sewn on the back as a tail coat. It's the illusion of a military zombie.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 am

Just another picture trying to show where the front was cut off to add to the back.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri May 17, 2019 7:34 am

This silly vest started life as a XL man's dress shirt. The sleeves became long tails on the back. I used some old flame patterned cotton fabric to fancy it up.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat May 18, 2019 10:04 pm

Sometimes you just want to wear pajamas all day and night. This comfortable pair is dressed up with fringe, conchos and a t-shirt pocket sewn on the back.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 19, 2019 8:44 am

This fleece hoodie was screaming, 'Make me into a costume'. So I did. A little bit of hand sewing made it look homemade. I cut off the bottom and the cuffs. Some of that ended up as fringe on the hood. A few darts taken around the wrists made for elegant sleeves. It practically made it's self.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 20, 2019 8:24 am

These are giant red velvet pants. They are so stretchy and comfortable. (Would have been great for Santa.) I adorned them with 3 colors of trim. I did it at different heights in a different order just because.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 21, 2019 7:18 am

This breast plate is something I've made before. This one is simply 4 squares of felt. Thay are all the same size. (Front, back and one on each shoulder.) I chose the quickest method of attaching them, machine sewing. You could sew it by hand, punch holes and lace it together, use glue or brads, even staples would get it. A belt with 'D' rings keeps the sides closed. A painted iron cross or fleur de lis would finish this off quite nicely.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 22, 2019 7:02 am

Some of the simplest designs work the best. Ladies, it's hot out there. I want a small comfortable top that hides my belly. This is a swim suit top with some soft lace sewn on it. You can sew lace all the way around or just in the front. Cut the length to suit you. I even wear short shorts at the event. Can you imagine?!

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 23, 2019 1:22 pm

This fuzzy-fleece house coat makes a perfect morning jacket. The front is shortened and the back now has a tail. I made several seams across the back to desguise adding fabric for the tails. The only downside is wearing tails to the porto potty.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri May 24, 2019 8:47 am

One of my favorite ways to dress at the event is 'color coordination'. This is a screamin yellow sundress. It has spaghetti straps so I wear a sunburn cape over it. The cape is made by opening up the sleeves and body of a t-shirt. Cut to suit you and add fringe. Pair this with yellow socks, wig, fingerless gloves and you are ready to party.

Arthur Schopenhauer

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Fri May 24, 2019 10:19 am

I still have a couple of "Ratty" original costume pieces in my collection.

I love your work! You are an inspiration...

Off to the 2nd hand stores this weekend!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat May 25, 2019 9:22 am

This green and white cotton cape is much prettier in person. I'm afraid it can't go to the event because it's covered with sequins. You can probably tell, this used to be a skirt. There wasn't any skill in transforming it . Open the seam that had a zipper. Then a tiny bit of sewing the hem and top of the thing. It's quite dramatic in a balad folklorico kind of way.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun May 26, 2019 9:03 am

This is a neat trick that lets you wear that old beat up t-shirt in public. It's stained , burnt, and doesn't fit you anymore. Sew it inside a sweater or even a sweatshirt with the picture on it facing out. Then cut away the out side garment exposing your t-shirt underneath. Start in the middle and work slowly. You may want to expose only some of the t-shirt. If you're using a sweater you'll have to sew all those edges so it doesn't unravel.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 am

This monstronsity is in my closet for everyday use. I wear jackets over short sleeves most of the year. Any shirt can be a quirky fashion item with enough bling sewn on it. I ripped off the sleeves and sewed some black and gold trim on a lot of the seams. Cotton is what you'll want at the burn. Keep it simple.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Tue May 28, 2019 7:46 am

When you need a dramatic tailed coat and all that you have is an old suit. I like the look of three quarter sleeves on a long or formal jacket. The cuffs were made into epilets and the pant legs make great tails on back. I used the waistband to blurr the line between pants and jacket. It has yet to be decorated.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 29, 2019 6:29 am

I've made several of these but I didn't make this one. Any old pocketed pants will do. The idea is to tie on or button on some beautiful, temporary pockets. If the pants fit you, just leave the waistband on. If they are too large or small you can hold em up with a belt. Sew some tule around the top and make a tutu with secret pockets.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Wed May 29, 2019 5:35 pm

I really liked the 2) sewing lace to a bra to make a dress and 2) those sewn-on loop trim that makes for instant cinching.

(Really hard to find short playa dresses I like; sounds like I need to make a few!)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed May 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Savannah. When you find the perfect dress, or skirt, cut it off to your ideal length. Leave it a little longer in the back for a dramatic effect. If you have enough fabric that you chopped off, Make a little ruffle or a scrunched up rose to sew on.

I should cut off the front of that yellow one I posted.

Oh, and you can buy those loops by the yard at the fabric store if you like a more 'finished' look.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu May 30, 2019 8:55 am

Don't you just love long fringe hanging from your sleeves? Looking at the picture I can see this piece is not quite finished. It would be better if it were two sleeves with a strip of fabric across the back, holding them onto your arms. I'll cut off the front part.

This item is made by cutting off the front and back panel of your t-shirt. Cut it straight across just under the arm holes. (I like it best with striped shirts.) Leave just the upper portion of the back attached. Sew each of the panels to the underside of the sleeves. Then, cut your sewed panel into strips about an inch wide. Cut the tips at a slant if you want pointy ends. Carefully stretch the strips one by one.

T-shirts only stretch in one direction, side to side.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri May 31, 2019 10:28 am

This is a plain old denim dress. I added gold trim and gold fringe. This fringe would normaly go on furniture.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:02 am

"Honey, does this make my butt look big?" "Yes Dear." That is what a bustle is for. These two are instant bustles. They are both curtain valances. Simply slip them over a cord or belt and viola. Fluff it out and prance like a peacock.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Clothing & Playawear”